• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
you can't libel anyone if it's within the walls of the Palace of Westminster, covered by parliamentary privilege. Wonder what will happen next, will the other names in the Sunday Times investigation be made public in the DCMS hearing?

ETA: weirdly it looks like she wasn't named but she has said she was linked to it? Eh?

Re:

Cake said:
you can't libel anyone if it's within the walls of the Palace of Westminster, covered by parliamentary privilege. Wonder what will happen next, will the other names in the Sunday Times investigation be made public in the DCMS hearing?

ETA: weirdly it looks like she wasn't named but she has said she was linked to it? Eh?

I think it was revealed that one of the people in the report was a former London Marathon winner and British. That combination in this time period has only one answer, Paula.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Cramps said:
This means there really was a super-injunction?

She is still denying it.

COY6ICWWgAAYB0H.jpg:large

Re:

I don't know how to interpret this number -- 2.8% Hb and no change in retic % -- can anyone put it into context?
Radcliffe says this is marginally above the 1 in 100 standard. So about 1% of samples would be expected to show this? And then dehydration is a mitigating factor?

Dear Wiggo said:
Her Hb went up 2.8!!?

Here's the IAAF headline from the race where that test was taken, one where she says it was not one of her best performances:
Paula Radcliffe may not have delivered the world best performance everyone was forecasting when the 12th IAAF World Half Marathon Championships took place in Vilamoura, Portugal today. But clinching a third world half marathon title in four years, Radcliffe's winning margin of one minute and 27 seconds was the greatest ever achieved in the 12-year history of the championships.
http://www.iaaf.org/news/news/radcliffe-wipes-out-the-opposition-in-vilamou

Hmm, Radcliffe's statement ignores the most damning aspect of the Sunday Times report:

"The experts consulted by the Sunday Times say that dehydration may have a small effect on blodd values, but the British athlete's off-score was 40% higher on the day of the race than in a test taken two days before the race."

Sep 29, 2012
Re: Re:

Cramps said:
I don't know how to interpret this number -- 2.8% Hb and no change in retic % -- can anyone put it into context?
Radcliffe says this is marginally above the 1 in 100 standard. So about 1% of samples would be expected to show this? And then dehydration is a mitigating factor?

Dear Wiggo said:
Her Hb went up 2.8!!?

Here's the IAAF headline from the race where that test was taken, one where she says it was not one of her best performances:
Paula Radcliffe may not have delivered the world best performance everyone was forecasting when the 12th IAAF World Half Marathon Championships took place in Vilamoura, Portugal today. But clinching a third world half marathon title in four years, Radcliffe's winning margin of one minute and 27 seconds was the greatest ever achieved in the 12-year history of the championships.

If a pro tour cyclist enters the Tour with a Hgb of say 15, by the end of the tour due to hemo-dilution, you expect a 10% drop, so it would be around 13.5.

To go up 2.8 during a race from say 14 is a 20% increase.

To do so due to hem-concentration, she would need to lose so much fluid to have that much impact on her Hgb that she would be dehydrated, surely? And thus performing poorly, not putting in the biggest winning margin since ever?

Dear Wiggo said:
Cramps said:

Dear Wiggo said:
Her Hb went up 2.8!!?

If a pro tour cyclist enters the Tour with a Hgb of say 15, by the end of the tour due to hemo-dilution, you expect a 10% drop, so it would be around 13.5.

To do so due to hem-concentration, she would need to lose so much fluid to have that much impact on her Hgb that she would be dehydrated, surely? And thus performing poorly, not putting in the biggest winning margin since ever?

JTL managed his side of the equation by a 30-odd unit bender then not drinking at all the next day..whilst ridiculous it might get you to ballpark that level of dehydration...a half marathon for a world class athlete i doubt...lets await the piss up excuse :)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

wansteadimp said:
Cake said:

I think it was revealed that one of the people in the report was a former London Marathon winner and British. That combination in this time period has only one answer, Paula.

Yes, that's what happened. I just watched this now. Norman didn't mention her by name but did so in the description as you say.

Sep 29, 2012
A quick search says 1 bag of blood = 1g/DL Hgb increase.
2.8 increase is therefore around 3 bags.

A shame they do not track athletes post- comp, as a decrease in retic% over the ensuing week would point to a transfusion.

Re:

Dear Wiggo said:

A shame they do not track athletes post- comp, as a decrease in retic% over the ensuing week would point to a transfusion.

But would it not show a decrease in retic% immediately? ie the post-competition test should show both increase in Hgb and decrease in retic%?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Dear Wiggo said:

Man you have been spot on with your last few posts!

Thanks for point to this for the folks that might not have the knowledge.

I find it impossible to believe her lines - if she is in fact the athlete in question.

Re:

Freddythefrog said:
Bought the Times. Makes good reading. Identification of the athlete is gender neutral and script is designed to give no clues away. Dirty races are 2001 to date - 1500, 20km walk, 800 5,000 3k steeplechase, 10k 50k walk heptahlon/decathlon, marathon. So it was somebody in that set.

Useful quotes ".....three occasions in their career the athlete's test results were so "abnormal" that there was only a one in a thousand chance that they were natural. ....One of those scores was recorded just days before winning a major race.
"The athlete firmly states that they "never cheated" and supports calls for more money to be spend on stamping out blood-doping.
"The IAAF put a red mark agains the athlete's name, which experts say should have resulted in folllow-up tests. Several years later the athlete was investigated by the IAAF but it decided not to take any action.
" Was this athlete cheating or was there some explanation for the scores? At the meeting with The Sunday Times in a hotel lobby last week, the athlete swore on the lives of loved ones that they had never blood doped but they did not want their results to be published here in full."

"You print it and I sue you [and] you won't be getting any money back in future like Lance Armstrong - I promise you that."

"Last week the athlete said their score had been elevated because it had been taken when they were dehydrated after winning a race in summer temperatures. "I would have been targeted afterwards. And they didn't come back to me becasue there isn't anythign to show." the athlete said.
"The files show that nine other athletese were also tested after teh same event, yet the British Athelte recorded the highest off-score by some way.
"The experts consulted by the Sunday Times say that dehydration may have a small effect on blodd values, but the British athlete's off-score was 40% higher on the day of the race than in a test taken two days before the race.
"Such a rise in the concentration of red blood cells could have been achieved by an illicit blood transfusion, but this is only a suspicion and certainly not proven by the results.
"one of our experts queried whether the result could be instrument error, but there were 29 other tests with the same device that were at normal levels.
"A second high test several years later did spark an investigation by the IAAF. The British athlete said that 12 experts from the IAAF had viewed the data o these tests and 11 had concluded that the results were consistent with an athlete training at altitude.
"The Sunday times has not seen the 12 experts' assessments, but other experts we have spoken to say that altitude training has only a limited effect on an athlete's blood scores."

There is also a para that states that "Before 2009 the IAAF would not ban any athlete for high blood scores alone and used the only as a guid to whether an athlete should be targeted for urine testing..."

So I think our athlete was active up to 2009. So we have those races and a window 2001 to 2009. And an event in which the field is so large that a total of 10 athletes in that same event which the Brit won were tested. And we have a blind eye turned first and years later a record of a red having been flagged and investigated by the IAAF and dismissed.

Next step all the runners and riders.

However - What was it that Brit director of the IAAF said about the previous leak of PRs data - we did investigate it and there was nothing and it should have stayed in the IAAF safe in Monaco where it belonged. Then he went out and took more snaps of PR with kittens and children (- ok no kittens or children but what other retired athlete who lives in Monaco gets their picture for running a half marathon in Monaco on the International Governing body's web site taken by a director who also lives in Monaco. Protection ! ) and posted them up on the IAAF website.
Maybe time for a reminder of the original piece in the Sunday Times

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site

Cramps said:
Dear Wiggo said:

But would it not show a decrease in retic% immediately? ie the post-competition test should show both increase in Hgb and decrease in retic%?

Higher Hb slow down the production of reticulocytes, but you still have a pool of them in blood that have to transform into erythrocytes, which takes about a day. So you would get a drop in ret relatively quickly, but not immediately.
The only thing that might cause immediate decrease in ret, would be if reticulocytes died in a blood bag, but I doubt that - my assumption, so better check that!

Dear Wiggo said:

The trouble with single-day performances is that you can't expect plasma-expansion the same way as a GT race. Even more than that, are the different strategies in getting ready for rest day: some rest with a drop in volume and intensity; some maintain most the volume, dropping the intensity; and others do the opposite. The middle of the training block would also change, depending on how that athlete trains. I don't know how each strategy may effect plasma volume.

As far as her 3 off offscores, again, we need more context. If it's out there, please share, but knowing when they occured, and also how her whole season came together. If she was off-tested before the World Half championships, can anyone give more details as to when it was? Someone like Radcliffe could not need to peak, and may not use up a BB on that kind of race. Or she would, but it depends.

Are there more details/timeline out there?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Ed Harry - BBC World Service Athletics commentator

"Paula Radcliffe has spoken out against drug cheats her whole career. I remember watching the 2001 World Championships from Edmonton, Canada, where Radcliffe and team-mate Hayley Tullett sat holding an 'EPO cheats out' banner during a 5,000m heat in protest at the inclusion of Olga Yegorova. The Russian had been allowed to compete, despite a recent failed test for EPO.

"Radcliffe's protest received more coverage than the race at a time when her own greatest claim to fame was winning the World Cross Country Championship. In my experience, her voice on these issues has always been one of the loudest in the sport.

"This story goes to the heart of what conclusions can or should be drawn from data taken from a single blood test - rather than the repeated testing that forms the basis for the modern Biological Passport system."

Because Paula had the EPO Cheats out! sign this "single" blood test doesn't mean anything. It's not the modern bio bassport!

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Ed Harry - BBC World Service Athletics commentator

"Paula Radcliffe has spoken out against drug cheats her whole career. I remember watching the 2001 World Championships from Edmonton, Canada, where Radcliffe and team-mate Hayley Tullett sat holding an 'EPO cheats out' banner during a 5,000m heat in protest at the inclusion of Olga Yegorova. The Russian had been allowed to compete, despite a recent failed test for EPO.

"Radcliffe's protest received more coverage than the race at a time when her own greatest claim to fame was winning the World Cross Country Championship. In my experience, her voice on these issues has always been one of the loudest in the sport.

"This story goes to the heart of what conclusions can or should be drawn from data taken from a single blood test - rather than the repeated testing that forms the basis for the modern Biological Passport system."

Because Paula had the EPO Cheats out! sign this "single" blood test doesn't mean anything. It's not the modern bio bassport!

Jaysus :rolleyes:

when a BBC Sports Journo walks into a room, it must reduce the average IQ by about 20 points !

Wiggo - seriously do we have a date for the blood anomaly and tieing it to that win in the half marathon ? that is awesome if the legal team drafting her statement put that spin on it and she OKd it knowing her actual result.

Look at the clock and then imagine the finish of a 1,500 race and then watch the second hand hit a point. Then watch the second hand move for 7 seconds. That is the gap every mile that Paula put into the Kenyan who has run the second fastest Marathon in history behind her. One hell of a gap. Now just think how much more time she would have put into all those dopers who can't get near her time, if she was boosted to the max. Fifteen or more like twenty seconds? Watch the clock and think of a 1500m finish and count 20 seconds. Is there anyone who has watched a 1500m thinks that is at all credible ?

You all know where I am coming from. Paula hired Walsh to do Whitewash 1.0 and he gave up trying to construct her autobiography part way through and then just copied part of her training diary. Froome hired Walsh to do Whitewash 3.0 and by this time Cound and Fran had sorted out a narrative to keep Walsh hooked - riding in sandals at Delhi, badzilla, educated in a tin hut, fighting tigers on the way to school, (oops wrong continent) keep Bobby Julrich out of the story.

Sep 29, 2012

nogav1ca said:
Cramps said:
Dear Wiggo said:

Higher Hb slow down the production of reticulocytes, but you still have a pool of them in blood that have to transform into erythrocytes, which takes about a day. So you would get a drop in ret relatively quickly, but not immediately.
The only thing that might cause immediate decrease in ret, would be if reticulocytes died in a blood bag, but I doubt that - my assumption, so better check that!

This is my understanding also.

Yes, the body will stop producing retics over time, but the process is a natural process, not an instantaneous one. Consider the loss of partial pressure of oxygen in the blood stream when training at altitude -- it takes 3-5 days to raise the Hgb to the point where you are back at equilibrium. By the same token, it would take a few days (I am taking a self-educated guess) for a transfusion to lead to "the final number of" depressed retics.

Sep 29, 2012
Re:

Freddythefrog said:
Wiggo - seriously do we have a date for the blood anomaly and tieing it to that win in the half marathon ? that is awesome if the legal team drafting her statement put that spin on it and she OKd it knowing her actual result.

Immediately after the half marathon.

Moreover, data obtained for example in Vilamoura in 2003, with bloods collected before and right after the half marathon, ran in hot conditions, are typically showing effects of confounding factors. The increase of 2.8 in Hb (and no significant effect on ret%) is due to a drastic hemo-concentration caused by the specific race conditions. This post-race value, as most of the others, today would not be validated, and then not be implemented in a real biological passport.

TRENDING THREADS