• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Nascar

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
"Mandatory" Adderall? I know that pilots take it, but I've never heard that they've been ordered (FORCED) to take it. Any citations to back that one up?

The two USAF pilots who had the friendly-fire incident in Iraq (they accidentally bombed a British troop vehicle). They'd been ordered to use these drugs to help keep them awake so that they could fly more missions.

One of them is a United Airlines pilot and often flies with a good friend of mine.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
The two USAF pilots who had the friendly-fire incident in Iraq (they accidentally bombed a British troop vehicle). They'd been ordered to use these drugs to help keep them awake so that they could fly more missions.

One of them is a United Airlines pilot and often flies with a good friend of mine.

Yeah, this isn't exactly a secret. Though use of various stimulants by fighter pilots isn't advertised, it's certainly not covered up. Pilots are prescribed the medications to improve situational awareness and enhance perception, though a nice side effect is, of course, a pilot who can fly more frequently and engage in longer combat missions.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
jimmypop said:
Yeah, this isn't exactly a secret. Though use of various stimulants by fighter pilots isn't advertised, it's certainly not covered up. Pilots are prescribed the medications to improve situational awareness and enhance perception, though a nice side effect is, of course, a pilot who can fly more frequently and engage in longer combat missions.

In this case, these two pilots got screwed. They'd been flying mission after mission (as I remember) and had been doing so with very little rest for quite some time. But to make the British happy, they proceeded to courts martial the two pilots. The pilots contended that they actually tried to decline the use of the meds (and get some rest) but that they were directly ordered to dope-up and keep flying missions.

Of course, I feel quite bad for the British soldiers who died through no fault of their own. Unfortunately our military craps in a downhill fashion.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Elagabalus said:
No, no citation. It's actually a quote from the linked website. A website dedicated to steroid ...ehm...discussions and hatin' on WADA apparently-by a former bodybuilder if you can believe it. The only other article he has on the website is about adderall use in academia. What? Students are using adderall to stay up all night?!! It appears the author has made it from whole cloth.

Here is an anecdotal article I read a while back. http://www.slate.com/id/2118315/

I have taken adderall when in Africa with a group moving food and supplies around. It is the constant feeling, like 8 hours straight, of the best espresso buzz you could possibly have, with no headache, no sweats, no anxious feeling. It also lifts your mood, akin to having just some gotten good news (think getting a raise or confirming a date with an attractive individual).
But not so much where you are the "Happy Guy" and people think you are acting like a weirdo.

It is somewhat habit forming, and you do develop a tolerance for it (need more to achieve the previous result). Used in limited fashion, its pretty harmless, granted you are basically a healthy person and can exercise control with the stuff. Suitable for when you need to do something that you truly are not looking forward to do, like a day of yardwork or housework.

I generally do not advocate taking medicines that one has not been prescribed.

Some good links there. NASCAR seems ripe for PED use. And I don't say that jokingly, though I do admire the humor in this thread.

Sort of like Golf. People think "Golf???" but yes, golf. As Gary Player said when a fellow pro golfer confided PED use to him, "We're kidding ourselves if we think this isn't coming to golf." Golf Digest later did some looking and found a trainer who essentially verified Player's comment, and stated that roughly half of the top 100 golfers in the world used PEDs at one time or another.

No, it's not the same as Track & Field (athletics), weight lifting, or cycling, and maybe not the US Army. But it's there, certainly.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
In this case, these two pilots got screwed. They'd been flying mission after mission (as I remember) and had been doing so with very little rest for quite some time. But to make the British happy, they proceeded to courts martial the two pilots. The pilots contended that they actually tried to decline the use of the meds (and get some rest) but that they were directly ordered to dope-up and keep flying missions.

Of course, I feel quite bad for the British soldiers who died through no fault of their own. Unfortunately our military craps in a downhill fashion.
And contributed to 100% of our losses to boot! The words p1$$ up & brewery come to mind.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
bridgeman said:
Not so much these days, but I am wondering what they took during the 60's to present day. I'm NOT a fan, but I am curious what those guys took back then from a historical perspective and how did it compare to other sporting disciplines. The first guys ran shine, this much I know.

Can't fall asleep at the wheel. In the old days you had to be strong to even hold onto the wheel. I suppose they took more or less the same things cyclists did.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I always wondered about these race car drivers. I imagined in the days of old amphetamines was the drug of choice, it is a sport of nerve and reaction, like a WWII fighter pilot really. Now who knows?
Down here at Laguna Seca I saw the Champ Car guys, very wiry, exactly like jockeys, or cyclists. I could tell they were similar to cyclists, however moreextremely high strung, almost as if they were jumping out of their skins.
The LeMans drivers, different, more gentlemanly, elegant, relaxed.
The fotos I have seen of NASCAR drivers, they look pretty much the same as the Champ Car drivers, even Danica Patrick, asexual, whippets.
The other thing about the NASCAR and other motor sport drivers is the extreme strength required of them to drive, and extreme physical conditions in the car.
Noise, G forces, heat, terror, monitoring many mechanical conditions at once, etc.
Cycling is a much more pure sport. More effective with doping I would imagine.
I could see using only steroids(very carefully monitored by a physician) and coffee or mild stimulants in NASCAR. One really needs to have an inner calm to race one of those buggies.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
You're supposed to rubbing it on your tender bits.

"Taking it" might mean actually eating it. Easy mistake as it comes in a toothpaste tube. I don't recomend it, it tastes like *ss. Although my tongue stopped itching, and my breath was a lot fresher...

You never watched South Park did you? :p

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Some good links there. NASCAR seems ripe for PED use. And I don't say that jokingly, though I do admire the humor in this thread.

Sort of like Golf. People think "Golf???" but yes, golf. As Gary Player said when a fellow pro golfer confided PED use to him, "We're kidding ourselves if we think this isn't coming to golf." Golf Digest later did some looking and found a trainer who essentially verified Player's comment, and stated that roughly half of the top 100 golfers in the world used PEDs at one time or another.

No, it's not the same as Track & Field (athletics), weight lifting, or cycling, and maybe not the US Army. But it's there, certainly.

For example, the most famous golfer fails the Barry Bonds visual test for steroids. Golf is a serious sport after all, and it can be hard to concentrate for three hours while hungover.

TRENDING THREADS