• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
"When you put key words or a syringe by somebody's name, it manipulates someone's mind to believe you intentionally tried to do something and get away with it," said Gay.

"That wasn't the case. If I would have made a decision to intentionally do something to hurt the sport I wouldn't have come back."

sounds legit.. Gay is cleans!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

the sceptic said:
"When you put key words or a syringe by somebody's name, it manipulates someone's mind to believe you intentionally tried to do something and get away with it," said Gay.

"That wasn't the case. If I would have made a decision to intentionally do something to hurt the sport I wouldn't have come back."

sounds legit.. Gay is cleans!
pretty gay

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
djpbaltimore said:
Bumping this to show how much less most fans of sport care about PEDs than the media. Case in point, Jhonny Peralta and Nelson Cruz were elected to the MLB all star game by a fan vote despite serving bans due to the biogenesis scandal a few years ago. Both are having excellent years in their 30s. Good thing they only had to serve 50 game bans and not 2 years.

lol. Antonio Gates just last week got 4 games in NFL. Will still get into the Hall of Fame easy. Good thing too since the San Diego Chargers weren't living up to their name.

And yet it´s in the open since forever. Super Chargers charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naB5_32y1UQ

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

the delgados said:
The Hitch said:
Tbf, With nfl, your quality of life after is **** afterwards anyway, peds or no peds.

I'm pretty sure every punter who played the game would tend to disagree.

And the 1/3 of ex players that do not suffer from permanent pain and/or depression... Some players hit the sunshine pretty pretty well.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
the delgados said:
The Hitch said:
Tbf, With nfl, your quality of life after is **** afterwards anyway, peds or no peds.

And the 1/3 of ex players that do not suffer from permanent pain and/or depression... Some players hit the sunshine pretty pretty well.

Most of whom probably comprise of place kickers. I think the minimum salary for NFL players is around $600,000. Not a bad gig if your job is to enter the field of play a few times per game and kick a convert or field goal then scamper off the field before getting run over by a chemically enhanced freak of nature.
Probably even better than being a professional golfer. No need to worry about skin cancer, what with all the equipment you don't need to be wearing.

Re:

StyrbjornSterki said:
Before José Aldo withdrew from his much-ballyhooed upcoming MMA match (UFC 189) against Connor McGregor due to an injury to his ribs during training camp, he was OOC tested at his home gym in Brazil. In fact, he was tested twice, but after providing the NSAC man the first sample, Aldo's coach/manager telephoned the Brazilian sports commission to see if they were aware the NSAC man was in the country (which in itself sounds dodgy, as if he was expecting a "heads-up" before any tester arrived). This led to investigating the NSAC man's immigration status which in turn led to the discovery that he had failed to obtain a Brazilian work permit. So before he could get to the airport and gone with Aldo's samples, he was accosted by officials and the samples were confiscated.

So the NSAC man got his work permit and came back for still another Aldo sample. Two days later.

Two days ago, the results of Aldo's second test were published. As you might expect -- with two day's forewarning -- the test came back negative. However, his T/E ration was upside-down, 0.45:1. As I noted in an earlier post in this thread, Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier both also had upside-down T/E ratios (<1:1) in OOCs leading up to their fight in UFC 182. To be fair, at least Cormiers' total Test was in the normal range, but Jones' Test numbers were those of a 60-year old man.

Aldo's total Test in this OOC was 4.7ng/mL, which is on the low side of normal for a man aged 28 but not suspiciously so. Unless, perhaps, you are an elite athlete.
MMA is a mess. GSP has denounced it and instead of playing along, is retiring. He has done more than any active cycling pro ever said/done. Chapeau GSP! I used to like MMA. I gave up. It has become a circus, a dope fest.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
It hasn't become a dope fest, it has always been one. GSP has almost certainly doped. I mean, they didn't even do random tests back when UFC dominated the division with his athleticism.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

frenchfry said:
Here is an interesting story.

http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/article...ste-a-finalement-ete-relaxe_4532314_3242.html

To summarise, a Moroccan cross country runner tested positive for CERA at a regional cross country race in France. The same athlete had previously tested positive for PEDs in 2012.

He says that he didn't actually participate in the race, that he was present only as a spectator. This despite the fact that he submitted a request to race organisors for a reimbursement of his plane ticket from Morocco. The race organiser assures that the runner picked up his race number the day of the race, but has no signature of the runner confirming this fact.

The athlete submitted a medical certificate dated 5 days before the race indicating he was inapt to participate in the race (I thought this was strange - who actually requests such a certificate, unless there is some sort of contractual or reglementary obligation to participate as I think may exist in tennis for example). It isn't explicitly stated in the article nor in the referenced official document that the runner did actually participate in the race, though it seems pretty clear that he did. It could be that he fully intended to participate, but didn't because he learned of the doping controls that were planned.

Since the doping control in question was only authorised at the end of a competition, it was invalidated.

Now he (Mohamed El Hachimi) is listed on IAAF's list of sanctioned athletes, banned for 6 years for a CERA positive from 19 January 2014 at 33e Cross Ouest France Pays de la Loire’, Le Mans, FRA. Someone must have overturned the ruling.

http://www.iaaf.org/download/download?filename=ea9ed1d4-26dd-4c22-b4c6-baf56f63d68d.pdf&urlslug=List%20of%20athletes%20currently%20serving%20a%20period%20of%20ineligibility%20as%20a%20result%20of%20an%20anti-doping%20rule%20violation%20under%20IAAF%20rules
http://www.iaaf.org/download/download?filename=677a970c-4889-4a0e-a0dd-8780aae3528f.pdf&urlslug=Doping%20sanctions%20-%20News%20164

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
It hasn't become a dope fest, it has always been one. GSP has almost certainly doped. I mean, they didn't even do random tests back when UFC dominated the division with his athleticism.
one only needs to look at his head to see how his skull has grown. well, look at it twice, once from 12 years ago, to now

Re:

SeriousSam said:
It hasn't become a dope fest, it has always been one....
I have a feeling the UFC isn't alone. Especially when there's money at stake, everyone in <insert pro sport here> is doping as much as they can afford, so long as they think they have a reasonable chance of getting away with it. And right now, that pretty much means "anything goes." It stands to reason that UFC dopes more than Bellator for the simple fact that Bellator doesn't pay as well. And because Joe Blogs/Morten Menigmand are willing to risk more for the UFC because there's greater potential reward.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

the delgados said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
the delgados said:
The Hitch said:

Most of whom probably comprise of place kickers. I think the minimum salary for NFL players is around $600,000. Not a bad gig if your job is to enter the field of play a few times per game and kick a convert or field goal then scamper off the field before getting run over by a chemically enhanced freak of nature.
Probably even better than being a professional golfer. No need to worry about skin cancer, what with all the equipment you don't need to be wearing.

Good, good... but all former punters and kickers don´t make up for 1/3 of ex-players... maybe more like 1/30.
So plenty of guys driving their Ferraris into the sunset pain & depression free (ok not really, since many players are really dumb like Vince Young who wasted 64 mios to go bankrupt in less than 6 years :eek: )

May 19, 2010
Visit site

D-Queued said:
Random Direction said:
And CFL teams have a don't ask policy about doping...

More like a 'wedunno' policy.

Dave.

Drafting 3 player who'd just gotten 4-year bans from university football says it all. The player having shown he's willing to use steroids it probably a plus to the CFL teams.

The only Canadian lab conducting accredited doping tests won't test CFL players because the league doesn't suspend a first offence and won't acknowledge university bans, according to its head of doping control.

Christiane Ayotte is the director of Montreal-based INRS-Insitut Armand-Frappier Research Centre, the only permanent drug testing facility in Canada approved by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

On Monday, she told CBC Radio's Ottawa Morning she refuses to test football players in Canada because they face no consequences for doping violations.

"What is the point in testing and issuing positive results if nothing is being done?" Ayotte said. "That puts us in contradiction of our code of ethics that comes with WADA."

She said her decision was prompted by five Canadian university players who tested positive for anabolic steroids, or anabolic agents that have similar effects to steroids, in March.

Four athletes from Saint Mary's University in Halifax and one from the Laval University tested positive during routine doping tests and each received a four-year ban from university football.

Those test results didn't stop teams from drafting three of the athletes and Ayotte said that's because the punishments do not transfer to the professional level.

"I found the CFL was silent," Ayotte said. "They were recruiting dopers." http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/doping-lab-won-t-test-cfl-players-due-to-lack-of-punishment-1.3104456
CFL president and chief operating officer Michael Copeland said Wednesday the league is proud of its drug policy, pointing to its focus on education, rather than suspension, following an initial positive test.

"Everybody gravitates to thinking there's only one solution," he said in a phone interview. "I think we're really forward-thinking in the development of our policy and we're really happy with the results." http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cfl-cuts-ties-with-canadian-centre-for-ethics-in-sport-over-drug-policy-row-1.3111806

CFL president and chief operating officer Michael Copeland said Wednesday the league is proud of its drug policy, pointing to its focus on education, rather than suspension, following an initial positive test.

"Everybody gravitates to thinking there's only one solution," he said in a phone interview. "I think we're really forward-thinking in the development of our policy and we're really happy with the results"

So, Mr. Copeland, players whose dream and income rest on doping, who have proven to be doping in the past, will respond to education and stop doping? Horseshit and you know it. Hopefully taxpayers will stop supporting your clubs constant asks for public funds and put an end to the party. Stop lying.

Re:

Random Direction said:

"Everybody gravitates to thinking there's only one solution," he said in a phone interview. "I think we're really forward-thinking in the development of our policy and we're really happy with the results"

So, Mr. Copeland, players whose dream and income rest on doping, who have proven to be doping in the past, will respond to education and stop doping? Horseshit and you know it. Hopefully taxpayers will stop supporting your clubs constant asks for public funds and put an end to the party. Stop lying.

I googled this quote after reading because I thought you might be joking.
But you are right. He actually said it. I'm sorry for doubting you.
That's a very interesting comment from a high-ranking member of a pro sports league.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

the delgados said:
That's a very interesting comment from a high-ranking member of a pro sports league.

if the CFL and other administrators are compelled to offer bromides of cognitive dissonance. Why cannot members of The Clinic interpret their comments thru this lens. the cognitive dissonance lens, where we know the truth, the administrators know the truth, but they are compelled to regurgitate the bromides for the succour moms[sic].

the open secret, can they be really lying to The Clinic?

blackcat said:
the delgados said:

if the CFL and other administrators are compelled to off bromides of cognitive dissonance. Why cannot members of The Clinic interpret their comments thru this lens. the cognitive dissonance lens, where we know the truth, the administrators know the truth, but they are compelled to regurgitate the bromides for the succour moms[sic].

Oh, for gawd sake. I always look forward to reading your posts, even though I have to read every thing you say a million times over and still not be sure what the hell you're saying.
You always remind me that I'm not the brightest log on the yuletide fire. Thanks a lot, buddy! (insert smilie emoticon)
For what it's worth, this is the first time I've ever read a quote from a pro sports administrator who basically admits that they acknowledge and support PED use. I dunno--seems pretty interesting to me.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

the delgados said:
blackcat said:
the delgados said:

if the CFL and other administrators are compelled to off bromides of cognitive dissonance. Why cannot members of The Clinic interpret their comments thru this lens. the cognitive dissonance lens, where we know the truth, the administrators know the truth, but they are compelled to regurgitate the bromides for the succour moms[sic].

Oh, for gawd sake. I always look forward to reading your posts, even though I have to read every thing you say a million times over and still not be sure what the hell you're saying.
You always remind me that I'm not the brightest log on the yuletide fire. Thanks a lot, buddy! (insert smilie emoticon)
For what it's worth, this is the first time I've ever read a quote from a pro sports administrator who basically admits that they acknowledge and support PED use. I dunno--seems pretty interesting to me.

the administrators are in a no win situation. that was basically the point. so they instead offer the bromides of anti-doping rhetoric. if they do not buy in, they don't rise to the station of chief executive, or they do rise, but they don't toe the party line, and the get replaced.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: FG-4592

neineinei said:
neineinei said:
http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/article...e-pour-dopage_4620888_3242.html#xtor=RSS-3208
http://spe15.fr/bertrand-moulinet-un-nouveau-scandale-autour-du-dopage/
French race walker Bertrand Moulinet has announced that he has tested positive for FG-4592. He also admitted to have used it and waived the right to have the B sample tested. Can't find anyone to have tested postive for it before. Is it a new test?

Good article about FG-4592 from 2013: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/04/oxygen-in-a-pill-the-next-big-thing-in-sports-doping/

So how would taking FG-4592/ASP1517 as a performance-enhancing drug compare to taking EPO? It is potentially better in several ways. Not only can FG-4592/ASP1517 do almost everything EPO can do, clinical trials have suggested that it may have a better “safety profile” than EPO. More specifically, no heart or blood pressure issues have been observed in trials thus far. Furthermore, FG-4592/ASP1517 is available in a pill form and does not have to be injected into the body.

This new compound has another advantage too, relating to iron absorption.

HIF promotes the body’s own EPO secretion from the kidneys and other non-renal sources (e.g. the liver) and up-regulates EPO receptors in the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells. HIF also activates factors that improve iron absorption from the gut, that mobilise iron from storage sites within the body, and that effectively transport all the needed iron to the bone marrow for red blood cell production. As such, FG-4592/ASP1517 has an advantage over EPO injections in that athletes need not also supplement themselves with iron at the same time as EPO administration.
AFDL has confirmed that the Châtenay-Malabry lab made it's first adverse analytical finding for Hypoxia-inducible factors (HIFs). The substance was found in a urine sample.

https://www.afld.fr/sites/default/files/webfm/23042015_cp_afld_oclaesp.pdf

According to the French press the sample was collected out-of-competition some time between 8 March and 18 April. On 8 March Moulinet set a new personal best and the up to then 4th best time of the year on the 20 km, after being out with injury for three weeks in January and having crap seasons in 2013 and 2014. FG-4592 = potent stuff.
Moulinet has been handed a four-year ban.
http://www.lemonde.fr/athletisme/article/2015/07/13/dopage-le-marcheur-bertrand-moulinet-suspendu-quatre-ans_4681128_1616661.html

I think the problem for dopers with new wonder drugs is that Wada has been working with the drug companies to have a marker in them that can be easily detected. The question is of course how early in it's development the marker is included in case some unfinished product gets to the black market.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hilarious seeing some of the reaction by MMA fans to Kimmage's criticism of the UFC saying he should stick to cycling and doping. Nothing to see in their own sport though. Especially when their "icon" McGregor doesn't get tested by the Irish Sports Council when he's based here.

Paul is right. Pantomine stuff.