• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 83 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just to echo and add emphasis to what Robert Moore said, the Brownlees have been very good athletes since they were kids. Not sure about their bike skills but they very good swimmers and, most crucially for Tri, top class distance runners (fell runners from a very early age). They didn't just arrive from nowhere. Given that they still turn up and run for their club at unglamorous and un-lucrative cross country events, as welll as fell races where malt loaf and chocolate are the only prizes, I'm not sure I buy that their profile is that of dopers. Could be wrong but it seems unlikely to me.

Re:

armchairclimber said:
Just to echo and add emphasis to what Robert Moore said, the Brownlees have been very good athletes since they were kids. Not sure about their bike skills but they very good swimmers and, most crucially for Tri, top class distance runners (fell runners from a very early age). They didn't just arrive from nowhere. Given that they still turn up and run for their club at unglamorous and un-lucrative cross country events, as welll as fell races where malt loaf and chocolate are the only prizes, I'm not sure I buy that their profile is that of dopers. Could be wrong but it seems unlikely to me.

I don't mean this offensively, but from your posts I get the impression that you haven't really come across doping, stories about doping programmes, how they work etc very much.

I give you + points for qualifying that it is only your impression, and not like many fans do, present it as a pure fact. But after that it goes downhill.

I mean you are arguing they are clean based on character. This is something many people who post on here did in like the first week that they joined the forum, before they realized that's not how the world works. That's why I say you give the impression that you are new to reading about doping, because people use that kind of argument only right at the very beginning, before they know anything about how doping programmes work and who does it.
Its also an argument that has been used dozens of times to defend plenty of athletes who later turned out, doped.

Ultimately what does the fact that they run for their clubs at un lucrative events have to do with doping? Nothing. Absolutely zilch. Being nice does not mean you don't dope, no more than having gemini as your star sign means you don't dope. Some people who post on here actually met and knew guys who turned out doped. They were nice guys.

Here's a quote from a good article from 2 years ago.
And when did “nice people” not cheat when placed in the worst of circumstances possible for them? Given what we have learned about cycling and its culture, how can we continue to confuse superficial personality with doping decisions? Tyler Hamilton did seem a nice guy, and he still does. So do many who testified to USADA, and to other commissions. Their doping mistakes don’t change that. Are we still stuck in some kind of eastern European, iron-curtain clad generalization or stigma that dopers are ruthlessly seeking world domination driven by cold-war sporting philosophies? Or that dopers are sporting equivalent of Gordon Gekko, relentlessly pursuing greed as the driving force behind rampant doping (that’s a Wall Street reference, for the uninitiated)?

It has become abundantly clear that in cycling, some good people were caught up in a very bad culture, that they made bad choices, but were not necessarily bullies, evil-doers or criminals (ok, some were, granted). So where, in the words of one Twitter follower, does the “dreamy eyed pap” by some in the (UK, mostly) media about guys being too nice to dope originate? How short are our memories, that we consider ‘nice guys’ to be even close to an admissible characteristic of a non-doper?

Looking at the individual isn't the best way to deduce who is doping. Behaviour can be very telling of course, but a general outline of feel good stories really doesn't tell much, especially when being examined by people who are fans of the athlete (I am not saying you are biased, but 90% of the time that someone argues that they think someone is clean because of character, that person is also a fan of the athlete).

The far better way of looking at doping is the system, the sweet science. Not 100% fool proof, but far more telling.

At the end of the day in cycling in the mid 1990's, we now know EVERYONE at the top doped. The good guys doped. The bad guys doped. The guys like Pantani who were talented as kids, doped. The guys like Riis who were nobodies without EPO, doped.

That was because the advantage gained from doping was insurmountable. It doesn't matter how talent you were, you couldn't match someone who is getting 30% boost from EPO, not even close, not even 1 day out of 21. The same we now know was also true in the mid 2000's, and is becoming increasingly apparent in the late 2000's. Same was also, we now true, throughout the late 80's and 90's and early 2000's in the 100m sprint.

So what we know is that when doping isn't being significantly limited by a governing body, everybody at the top dopes. This is the simple reality.

So the first thing anyone who wants to argue someone is clean, needs to do, is expalain why they think in that particular sport, winning clean is actually possible.

Becuase If you want to make an argument that a rider from the 1990's was clean, at least in the clinic, it would do no good to look at their character or life story. What you would need to do is make an argument as to how it would be possible for someone to beat the system that only allowed people doping to succeed.

Now I am not saying 2010's triathlon has the same level of doping as 1990's cycling. I don't know as much about doping in 2010's triathlon as I do about doping in 1990's cycling. But in the same spirit, if you want to argue that Brownlees are clean, you should tell us about the system, not the individual. What you think the situation of doping is in triathlon atm and why you think clean athletes are able to dominate. Is there a very strong blood passport that is limiting the doping. Do you in general believe clean athletes can beat dopers through training. Is there not enough money in triathlon? Or do you think triathlon is very doped but that the Brownlees are once in a generation talents, helped by genes.

That is the important argument. On top of that you can then tell us what it is about the Brownlees personal lives that makes them best able to take advantage of the situation.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
Looking at the individual isn't the best way to deduce who is doping. Behaviour can be very telling of course, but a general outline of feel good stories really doesn't tell much, especially when being examined by people who are fans of the athlete (I am not saying you are biased, but 90% of the time that someone argues that they think someone is clean because of character, that person is also a fan of the athlete).

The far better way of looking at doping is the system, the sweet science. Not 100% fool proof, but far more telling.

At the end of the day in cycling in the mid 1990's, we now know EVERYONE at the top doped. The good guys doped. The bad guys doped. The guys like Pantani who were talented as kids, doped. The guys like Riis who were nobodies without EPO, doped.

That was because the advantage gained from doping was insurmountable. It doesn't matter how talent you were, you couldn't match someone who is getting 30% boost from EPO, not even close, not even 1 day out of 21. The same we now know was also true in the mid 2000's, and is becoming increasingly apparent in the late 2000's. Same was also, we now true, throughout the late 80's and 90's and early 2000's in the 100m sprint.

So what we know is that when doping isn't being significantly limited by a governing body, everybody at the top dopes. This is the simple reality.
Charles Yesalis and John Hoberman go into this, less the science, more the social science, the psychology and sociology of the A-type competitor and his/her competitive environment. Like Don Catlin said in the 90s that the athletes need to be left a wide berth to prepare for world championships and olympics, and said he would stop retesting the 1984 Olympic track and field trial urine samples when he was doing them for research purpose because the urine samples started glowing like a CSI bluelight on Monica Lewinsky's blue velvet dress that bubba spooged over and linda trip supergrassed

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
We have another-sports Horner... this time it´s Snooker. :eek: The guy who never was wins his first World Championship (and just his third ranking tournament in 20 years as pro) at age 39, when the competition is at its highest level ever (since Snooker spread over all continents in the last decade).
Hendry (the greatest ever) OTOH had to retire around this age coz he couldn´t keep up with the others anymore. BTW, he won 36 ranking tournaments (most of them in his early 20s).
Now doping in Snooker seems far-fetched, but keep in mind, there was even a anablolic-steroids positive some years ago.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Swimming:
Recently, a television journalist asked me…”What do you think about how FINA relates to doping today?”

I reflected how in the middle 90’s and onward for perhaps ten years, it appeared that FINA was a “born again” when it came to anti-doping. Fully supportive and fully engaged in trying to keep doping from making further inroads into our sport. The former President seemed to keep the Executive Director on the honest path, at least when it came to Anti-Doping.

But in the last several years, a different picture has emerged
Then a run through of four cases where big stars have been let of easy by FINA, and WADA not doing anything about it.
http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/has-fina-looked-the-other-way-when-it-comes-to-doping/

Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
We have another-sports Horner... this time it´s Snooker. :eek: The guy who never was wins his first World Championship (and just his third ranking tournament in 20 years as pro) at age 39, when the competition is at its highest level ever (since Snooker spread over all continents in the last decade).
Hendry (the greatest ever) OTOH had to retire around this age coz he couldn´t keep up with the others anymore. BTW, he won 36 ranking tournaments (most of them in his early 20s).
Now doping in Snooker seems far-fetched, but keep in mind, there was even a anablolic-steroids positive some years ago.
Playing tournaments all year, and especially the flat 128 player draw, has really boosted some guys of Bingham's age. Barry Hawkins, finalist two years ago and consistent top five player since, is another example. Joe Perry just had his best season ever. Mark Davis as well. They are mainly players who used to succumb to pressure when they finally made it to the big stage of a tournament, back when there were few tournaments and they had to play qualifiers while the top seeds didn't. Then all of a sudden, boom a crowd and camera's and pressure against a top player. Also, they simply love playing competition all year long.

Bingham did beat the greatest ever 15 years ago on his crucible debut btw. Back when he was already declining, at an age where Higgins and O'Sullivan hit their prime.

Radcliffe

Looking at the individual isn't the best way to deduce who is doping. Behaviour can be very telling of course,..

and...

Not even a stumble on the run could stop Alistair Brownlee‘s return to the top of the World Triathlon Series podium in Cape Town on Sunday, as the most successful athlete in series history, he took his total number of titles to 18.
While he tripped early on in the run, Brownlee made his way up to the lead group of Javier Gomez Noya, Richard Murray and Vincent Luis quickly, before blowing them away in the final 1500m. In his first WTS race in 2015 after returning from injury, Brownlee said he wasn’t sure what to expect, but was obviously thrilled with the result.

http://www.triathlon.org/news/article/cape_town_mens_review

I watched that race - and that was ridiculous !!

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok just a few items to put into context from the thoughts posted above.

I will set out at the start that I have been in triathlon for 17 years and have run a triathlon club in the UK and sat on the board of the British Triathlon Federation and also raced ironman races all over the world
I will also say up front at the outset that I was and still am very good friends with Spencer Smith as he was my coach and we both raced for Planet X back in the 2000's

On the Brownlee's I think there is some evidence that you could win clean in the olympic distance sport of triathlon. Look at the sport you swim 1.500m and on average they are not swimming olympic times for this, they also have wetsuits to assist which any swimmer will tell you adds bouyancy and makes life easier, they also swim in a pack so the guy getting a tow gets to do 20% less work (yes drafting in water works just as well as on a bike)
Now on the majority of bike courses on the circuit the pack of however many in the first group go off and are usually caught and then they all ride around and save energy in a pack for an hour, basically resting.
The top four or five guys then shoot it out on the run and it becomes a pure running race, which is why the Brownlees running pedigree does count for them, as stated they could run in the GB track squad or fell running squad, and while racing in france for a french triathlon team thy were approached by the french athletics association to consider running for france on their track team.
One final point is that we are seeing now for the last 3-4 years athletes who have come through the school and university system as triathletes, not good athletes who took up triathlon, so we are seeing true triathletes taking the sport to another level.

Equally they are from a well off family and don't need the life or money in the sport. They are also very competitive with themselves which is what drives their improvement, both brownlees are on record to say they don't mind being beaten by others but hate losing to each other.
I don't know if they are clean or not but if there was a sport that could have a clean top end then it is the olympic distance triathletes.
On Chrissie, well she won the age group race in Lusanne in 2006, the same year my ex wife won her age group. Exactly one year later Chrissie had hooked up with Brett Sutton (look him up if you want all the details) but she was racing her first Ironman and winning and setting all sorts of records. My wife had turned into Ironman and whilst working 3 day weeks and training with a top coach (clean) managed a top 5 overall (including pros) as an age grouper at Ironman Nice, 1 hour slower than the winner and 1 hour 30 mins slower than Chrissie, They were 96 seconds apart a year earlier over an olympic distance race. There are a lot of other incredible stories regarding Brett Sutton athletes which are truly crazy performances.

On the helen jones comment, I would agree and would be hopeful she was clean apart from two things, She was around for ages without any real results to speak of and was going nowhere, she then met her now husband and suddenly went stratospheric, not that that is proof in itself but her husband was an elite athlete who had a history of a rare affliction where oxygen bubbles form in the muscles and cause ruptures and pain so excruciating they have to stop running or even walking, Anyone who knows or had read the side effects of CERA or other EPO drugs of the late nineties early 2000's will know that it was a side affect of 1:100,000 users. So the fact that Mark Jenkins was most famous for his walk to the bike mechanic in Athens is maybe not the only legacy he has left on the sport.

And so to the conclusion - DO I think Triathlon is completely clean, NO, Do I think the majority of the issues are in Ironman rather than Short course racing, Probably, Ironman is a truly individual sport without federation funding or teams or national infrastructure. So the option for individuals to take the risk is greater, or the ability of an individual to set up a team using PEDS to achieve results based out of a base in thailand where no one will ever go look at the methods is perfect.

Finally the Spencer comment whilst it maybe true that the Linda Mc team was not great it was actually a stand against doping, Spencer had been caught up the nandrolone furor where people were popped all over the place for a naturally occurring substance that the scientific community didn't understand let alone the drug testers. He left triathlon for two reasons, the fact he was unable to race properly due to new drafting laws, and the poor treatment of athletes and himself at the hands of volunteer unaccountable race marshalls and his nandrolone finding. It was not about being competitive it was more about showing the world how far off the pace normal athletes would be. They never went into it to be as good as the other teams, more just to show up what the others were doing.

If you want to look at a cyclist in Triathlon who could compete with the peleton look at Norman Stadler, Who was a training partner of the Telekom team and was regularly seen at their training camps and set the fastest bike split records at almost every race he competed in including Hawaii.

Unfortunately no sport is immune and every person will always look for an edge.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Equally they are from a well off family and don't need the life or money in the sport.

Coz well off people are never, ever, in a million years, looking to increase their wealth.
Nor can they afford to get the best help available from the outset.

I am not disagreeing with your insight or experience per se - but this line is errrr just ... dunno man ... ridiculous.

Re:

robertmooreheadlane said:
Ok just a few items to put into context from the thoughts posted above.

I will set out at the start that I have been in triathlon for 17 years and have run a triathlon club in the UK and sat on the board of the British Triathlon Federation and also raced ironman races all over the world
I will also say up front at the outset that I was and still am very good friends with Spencer Smith as he was my coach and we both raced for Planet X back in the 2000's

On the Brownlee's I think there is some evidence that you could win clean in the olympic distance sport of triathlon. Look at the sport you swim 1.500m and on average they are not swimming olympic times for this, they also have wetsuits to assist which any swimmer will tell you adds bouyancy and makes life easier, they also swim in a pack so the guy getting a tow gets to do 20% less work (yes drafting in water works just as well as on a bike)
Now on the majority of bike courses on the circuit the pack of however many in the first group go off and are usually caught and then they all ride around and save energy in a pack for an hour, basically resting.
The top four or five guys then shoot it out on the run and it becomes a pure running race, which is why the Brownlees running pedigree does count for them, as stated they could run in the GB track squad or fell running squad, and while racing in france for a french triathlon team thy were approached by the french athletics association to consider running for france on their track team.
One final point is that we are seeing now for the last 3-4 years athletes who have come through the school and university system as triathletes, not good athletes who took up triathlon, so we are seeing true triathletes taking the sport to another level.

Equally they are from a well off family and don't need the life or money in the sport. They are also very competitive with themselves which is what drives their improvement, both brownlees are on record to say they don't mind being beaten by others but hate losing to each other.
I don't know if they are clean or not but if there was a sport that could have a clean top end then it is the olympic distance triathletes.
On Chrissie, well she won the age group race in Lusanne in 2006, the same year my ex wife won her age group. Exactly one year later Chrissie had hooked up with Brett Sutton (look him up if you want all the details) but she was racing her first Ironman and winning and setting all sorts of records. My wife had turned into Ironman and whilst working 3 day weeks and training with a top coach (clean) managed a top 5 overall (including pros) as an age grouper at Ironman Nice, 1 hour slower than the winner and 1 hour 30 mins slower than Chrissie, They were 96 seconds apart a year earlier over an olympic distance race. There are a lot of other incredible stories regarding Brett Sutton athletes which are truly crazy performances.

On the helen jones comment, I would agree and would be hopeful she was clean apart from two things, She was around for ages without any real results to speak of and was going nowhere, she then met her now husband and suddenly went stratospheric, not that that is proof in itself but her husband was an elite athlete who had a history of a rare affliction where oxygen bubbles form in the muscles and cause ruptures and pain so excruciating they have to stop running or even walking, Anyone who knows or had read the side effects of CERA or other EPO drugs of the late nineties early 2000's will know that it was a side affect of 1:100,000 users. So the fact that Mark Jenkins was most famous for his walk to the bike mechanic in Athens is maybe not the only legacy he has left on the sport.

And so to the conclusion - DO I think Triathlon is completely clean, NO, Do I think the majority of the issues are in Ironman rather than Short course racing, Probably, Ironman is a truly individual sport without federation funding or teams or national infrastructure. So the option for individuals to take the risk is greater, or the ability of an individual to set up a team using PEDS to achieve results based out of a base in thailand where no one will ever go look at the methods is perfect.

Finally the Spencer comment whilst it maybe true that the Linda Mc team was not great it was actually a stand against doping, Spencer had been caught up the nandrolone furor where people were popped all over the place for a naturally occurring substance that the scientific community didn't understand let alone the drug testers. He left triathlon for two reasons, the fact he was unable to race properly due to new drafting laws, and the poor treatment of athletes and himself at the hands of volunteer unaccountable race marshalls and his nandrolone finding. It was not about being competitive it was more about showing the world how far off the pace normal athletes would be. They never went into it to be as good as the other teams, more just to show up what the others were doing.

If you want to look at a cyclist in Triathlon who could compete with the peleton look at Norman Stadler, Who was a training partner of the Telekom team and was regularly seen at their training camps and set the fastest bike split records at almost every race he competed in including Hawaii.

Unfortunately no sport is immune and every person will always look for an edge.

I never know how to look at triathlon. When thinking about the talent pool, it is such a small selection that outliers can just in fact be outliers. An old teammate of mine started young as a swimmer, ran successfully in school and college, but was not top tier; a good steeple chaser (which is already a watered down event) but with good yet not impressive flat personal bests. Never all-american. Now, she's been the podium of ITU events. She could be doping, sure, but I lived with her and her then boyfriend for a year, and seriously doubt it. To me, her success is due to the much smaller competitive pool, than running for example.

The domination of the Brownlees, to me, are possible. Not because of any good schoolboy crap, but because it can't be that hard to rise to the top, compared to soccer or running. Or put another way, if a second-tier track athlete is podiuming ITU events, what could the cream of the crop do, if they switched sports?

One last example, Gwen Jorgenson was at the top of her class in 2009,, but would only be ranked 17th and 18th in the 5k and 10k this year. What damage could those other girls do?

2 Jorgensen, Gwen SR Wisconsin 15:52.19 Payton Jordan Cardinal I... 05/02/09

1 Jorgensen, Gwen SR Wisconsin 33:38.38 Mt. SAC Relays 04/16/09

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
Equally they are from a well off family and don't need the life or money in the sport.

Coz well off people are never, ever, in a million years, looking to increase their wealth.

I am not disagreeing with your insight or experience per se - but this line is errrr just ... dunno man ... ridiculous.

Errr no it's not
If you look at the propensity for people to dope it is down to a number of factors and one of them can be the need to continue in the sport they are in for the paycheque, It has been discussed on this site in numerous forums.
Also the other is the need to prove oneself and be better than anyone else, as I am sure any psychologist will attest to, this is more prevelant in those from broken homes (see uni baller for perfect example)
So a contributing factor to any persons choice to dope or not, may come down to whether or not they must win at all costs, need the money, are out to prove something to someone, are coerced into it to get a place on the team, are coerced into it by senior people in their life.
Ergo a persons start in life and their relative comfort or not with their livelihood and security will be a contributing factor. Which is all it was pointed out as

Therefore the only point that is ridiculous is yours for not understanding the rationale for the comment.

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
"The domination of the Brownlees, to me, are possible. Not because of any good schoolboy crap, but because it can't be that hard to rise to the top, compared to soccer or running. Or put another way, if a second-tier track athlete is podiuming ITU events, what could the cream of the crop do, if they switched sports?"

Really have you looked at their 10km times lately - You are showing an amazing lack of any knowledge of the sport with such a stupid comment.
That good schoolboy crap is almost good enough for an commonwealth medal in a straight 10km.

Alistair and Jonathan can both run times a tthe end of a triathlon for a 10km that would get them into the top 20 overall in the UK for a stand alone 10km
Alistairs PB for 10km is 28:32 and he has run a 29:07 off the bike in a race
I would not class that as being hard to beat, There are no other runners in the UK or probably the world that could switch sports and swim and bike and then run a 29 minute 10km.
In the womens field it is less of an issue as the fields are smaller and the times are not the same yet
But in the men's field since the start of the draft legal races the run times have dropped consistently.
And although you could say the swim and bike is not olympic stand alone sport good; I would challenge you to find too many half decent athletes that can swim 17 minutes for 1,500 and then bike 55 minutes for 40km then run a 29 minute 10km.
Added to that the olympic record time was set by Alistair in London where the bike was 43km not 40.

Re:

"The domination of the Brownlees, to me, are possible. Not because of any good schoolboy crap, but because it can't be that hard to rise to the top, compared to soccer or running. Or put another way, if a second-tier track athlete is podiuming ITU events, what could the cream of the crop do, if they switched sports?"

Really have you looked at their 10km times lately - You are showing an amazing lack of any knowledge of the sport with such a stupid comment.
That good schoolboy crap is almost good enough for an commonwealth medal in a straight 10km.

Alistair and Jonathan can both run times a tthe end of a triathlon for a 10km that would get them into the top 20 overall in the UK for a stand alone 10km
Alistairs PB for 10km is 28:32 and he has run a 29:07 off the bike in a race
I would not class that as being hard to beat, There are no other runners in the UK or probably the world that could switch sports and swim and bike and then run a 29 minute 10km.
In the womens field it is less of an issue as the fields are smaller and the times are not the same yet
But in the men's field since the start of the draft legal races the run times have dropped consistently.
And although you could say the swim and bike is not olympic stand alone sport good; I would challenge you to find too many half decent athletes that can swim 17 minutes for 1,500 and then bike 55 minutes for 40km then run a 29 minute 10km.
Added to that the olympic record time was set by Alistair in London where the bike was 43km not 40.

That's my point. We agree. The Brownlee's dominate (in part) because the talent pool is small. They are top tier athletes (in the general term), in a sport that not many other top tier athletes compete.

I was making the point that, counter to other sports, their domination is not an indication of doping, by itself. The best cyclist? Probably doping, in order to rise above the other talented and doping athletes. The best sprinter? Probably doping, in order to rise above the other talented and doping athletes. The best Triathlete? Less "help" is required to rise to the top; there aren't as many of the best athletic talents to overcome.

EDIT: At least, that's my understanding of Triathlon. I realize there is doping: lack of controls, notorious coaches, huge sums of money involved... And I'd bet the Brownlees are doping. I just think that their domination should be discussed in the context of the Triathlon talent pool.

Sep 29, 2012

Dear Wiggo said:

Errr no it's not
If you look at the propensity for people to dope it is down to a number of factors and one of them can be the need to continue in the sport they are in for the paycheque, It has been discussed on this site in numerous forums.
Also the other is the need to prove oneself and be better than anyone else, as I am sure any psychologist will attest to, this is more prevelant in those from broken homes (see uni baller for perfect example)
So a contributing factor to any persons choice to dope or not, may come down to whether or not they must win at all costs, need the money, are out to prove something to someone, are coerced into it to get a place on the team, are coerced into it by senior people in their life.
Ergo a persons start in life and their relative comfort or not with their livelihood and security will be a contributing factor. Which is all it was pointed out as

Therefore the only point that is ridiculous is yours for not understanding the rationale for the comment.

Oh I understand your alleged point no worries. But human nature - in particular the rich doing everything they can to improve their riches (TPP anyone?) would seem to prove you wrong.

I'm sorry you think somehow rich people have better morals than poor people. Very, very sad and sorry. You think rich people don't like to rub your nose in it? el oh el. Far out you are serious. Anyway. Good luck with that.

Sep 29, 2012
Why better morals? Because those same base motivations - to prove themselves, to get rich(er) are the same for rich or poor. I do not accept for a minute that they are doing triathlon out of the goodness of their hearts, or that their motivations are more pure than a poor person. Not a chance in hell.

Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
Why better morals? Because those same base motivations - to prove themselves, to get rich(er) are the same for rich or poor. I do not accept for a minute that they are doing triathlon out of the goodness of their hearts, or that their motivations are more pure than a poor person. Not a chance in hell.

Totally agree with you.

The Hitch said:
armchairclimber said:

I don't mean this offensively, but from your posts I get the impression that you haven't really come across doping, stories about doping programmes, how they work etc very much.

I give you + points for qualifying that it is only your impression, and not like many fans do, present it as a pure fact. But after that it goes downhill.

I mean you are arguing they are clean based on character. This is something many people who post on here did in like the first week that they joined the forum, before they realized that's not how the world works. That's why I say you give the impression that you are new to reading about doping, because people use that kind of argument only right at the very beginning, before they know anything about how doping programmes work and who does it.
Its also an argument that has been used dozens of times to defend plenty of athletes who later turned out, doped.

Ultimately what does the fact that they run for their clubs at un lucrative events have to do with doping? Nothing. Absolutely zilch. Being nice does not mean you don't dope, no more than having gemini as your star sign means you don't dope. Some people who post on here actually met and knew guys who turned out doped. They were nice guys.

Here's a quote from a good article from 2 years ago.
And when did “nice people” not cheat when placed in the worst of circumstances possible for them? Given what we have learned about cycling and its culture, how can we continue to confuse superficial personality with doping decisions? Tyler Hamilton did seem a nice guy, and he still does. So do many who testified to USADA, and to other commissions. Their doping mistakes don’t change that. Are we still stuck in some kind of eastern European, iron-curtain clad generalization or stigma that dopers are ruthlessly seeking world domination driven by cold-war sporting philosophies? Or that dopers are sporting equivalent of Gordon Gekko, relentlessly pursuing greed as the driving force behind rampant doping (that’s a Wall Street reference, for the uninitiated)?

It has become abundantly clear that in cycling, some good people were caught up in a very bad culture, that they made bad choices, but were not necessarily bullies, evil-doers or criminals (ok, some were, granted). So where, in the words of one Twitter follower, does the “dreamy eyed pap” by some in the (UK, mostly) media about guys being too nice to dope originate? How short are our memories, that we consider ‘nice guys’ to be even close to an admissible characteristic of a non-doper?

So the first thing anyone who wants to argue someone is clean, needs to do, is expalain why they think in that particular sport, winning clean is actually possible.

Becuase If you want to make an argument that a rider from the 1990's was clean, at least in the clinic, it would do no good to look at their character or life story. What you would need to do is make an argument as to how it would be possible for someone to beat the system that only allowed people doping to succeed.

Now I am not saying 2010's triathlon has the same level of doping as 1990's cycling. I don't know as much about doping in 2010's triathlon as I do about doping in 1990's cycling. But in the same spirit, if you want to argue that Brownlees are clean, you should tell us about the system, not the individual. What you think the situation of doping is in triathlon atm and why you think clean athletes are able to dominate. Is there a very strong blood passport that is limiting the doping. Do you in general believe clean athletes can beat dopers through training. Is there not enough money in triathlon? Or do you think triathlon is very doped but that the Brownlees are once in a generation talents, helped by genes.

That is the important argument. On top of that you can then tell us what it is about the Brownlees personal lives that makes them best able to take advantage of the situation.

Er, I'm unlikely to take offence at your first paragraph, I'm just puzzled that someone with your acumen would post something so daft. I have been around a long time so I'm not some naive "fanboy".

To put it simply, my position re. the Brownlees is that they are blessed with exceptional running ability. Perhaps not sufficiently good to compete at the highest level over 10,000 metres on the track, but good enough to run substantially under 30 mins over 10K. They have always been good swimmers, so they can lay up with the pace in the part of the Olympic Tri which offers the least potential for taking large time gaps. In the cycling event they have a particular advantage when they are racing together. I don't think they need to dope.

The point I was making about them turning up to local club events was not about "what good chaps they are". It was about their motivation and a certain lack of what might be called professionalism. They put themselves at risk of season/career damaging injury by running chaotic fell races for chocolate cream eggs. That doesn't tally with someone who is so driven to be a winner that they will take the risks involved with doping. I think it was last year (possibly the year before) that Jonny ran the county X country champs at Lightwater Valley carrying an injury. He aggravated the injury during the race but, despite having the World Tri series ahead of him, he carried on to the finish....some way behind the leaders. That's not about being a good egg. But it doesn't strike me as the course of action that a "professional" on a doping programme might take.

I can't comment upon Gomez or any of the other top Tri fellas. I don't know enough about them.

As an aside, where Chris Froome is concerned, I have plenty of reasons to suspect that he is on a doping programme. One small detail (on top of the variously odd concocted and contradictory stories about his Badzilla treament) that adds to my reading of his character is the tale of the bunny rabbits and his snake. What I deduced from that was that he is a person whose egocentricity interferes with his sense of right and wrong. It's a trait he has in common with Lance. Whilst this is not to say that "nice guys don't dope", it is to say that narcissistic behaviour would make me suspicious if other signs are there too.

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

neineinei said:
Swimming:
Recently, a television journalist asked me…”What do you think about how FINA relates to doping today?”

I reflected how in the middle 90’s and onward for perhaps ten years, it appeared that FINA was a “born again” when it came to anti-doping. Fully supportive and fully engaged in trying to keep doping from making further inroads into our sport. The former President seemed to keep the Executive Director on the honest path, at least when it came to Anti-Doping.

But in the last several years, a different picture has emerged
Then a run through of four cases where big stars have been let of easy by FINA, and WADA not doing anything about it.
http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/has-fina-looked-the-other-way-when-it-comes-to-doping/

Link removed...

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
maybe Jonathan carried on with that injury because he knew his programme was gonna allow him to recover in time for the World Tri series...
just teasing.
though (like hitch) i'm not inclined to let it have any bearing on the question of their cleanliness, imo you do make a good argument there, especially if you compare it to the half-baked quitting attitude of guys like Wiggins and Chris 'DNF' Froome.

I wonder if the Brownlees have Asthma ?? !! be interesting to know. I noticed Radcliffe mentioned it in that documentary..and husband Gary saying he could hear her wheezing round the cross country course when he competed against her....yawn !!

Bet Laura Trott wheezed round the track, oh and Froome wheezed round the Kenyan veld, and Beckham wheezed round the pitch.

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
The difference being, it's easier for rich people to do what they want. When they want. How they want.

Wiggo
Apart from agreeing with me you then have managed to turn around and end up sounding like a small man, green with envy and loathing because of what life hasn't given you.

I don't think for one minute that rich people have better morals - Actually the word Moral never appears in my post - so why are you going there.

Secondly look at every top athlete in the USA they are all multi millionaires, Yet they still dope and cheat and lie and break the law (in some cases). So no money doesn't stop people being bad people. And if you want to look at rich people with no morals I can introduce you to plenty I have spent 26 years working in Investment Banking and the Financial world.

You sound like a mean little lost man who never got what he felt he was entitled to in life and is jealous of those that did.

The brownlees have one less reason to cheat as they don't need the money. That doesn't now, and I never said it would, preclude them from having any other motivations to cheat. As I said in my post, they could just have a win at all costs mentality.

There are many reasons to cheat, just like there are many reasons why you might be on here talking tripe and making yourself look stupid and spiteful, I am not going to try to guess what they are.

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Cycle Chic said:
I wonder if the Brownlees have Asthma ?? !! be interesting to know. I noticed Radcliffe mentioned it in that documentary..and husband Gary saying he could hear her wheezing round the cross country course when he competed against her....yawn !!

Bet Laura Trott wheezed round the track, oh and Froome wheezed round the Kenyan veld, and Beckham wheezed round the pitch.

They're from yorkshire so were probably down T' mines from t age of four and having to work 15 hour days.

Probably have consumption and dysentery as well !!!!

Isn't it interesting how some of the most polarizing people in the UK come from Yorkshire.

Sorry random thought.