• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

mrhender said:
RobbieCanuck said:
Show me your evidence, not your speculation, or rhetoric or uninformed opinion he was dirty because an uninformed opinion is not worth the Forum space it is written on!

Whenever I found out anything remarkable, I have thought it my duty to put down my discovery on paper, so that all ingenious people might be informed thereof.

Antonie van Leeuwenhoek

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/sadness-tempers-baileys-pride-at-having-untarnished-time/article13239573/

– anybody who has been the fastest man in the world between Bailey’s 9.84 seconds at the 1996 Atlanta Games and Bolt’s 9.58 set in August of 2009 in Berlin – has either failed a drug test or been connected to performance-enhancing substances.

Bailey and Bolt are the only two men’s 100-metre Olympic champions since 1984 who have not tested positive for drugs at some point in their careers.

Performances like Bailey's are truly remarkable.

So do they constitute some form of evidence to doping in your opinion?

If yes, then what made Bailey so special as seen above?
If no, then do you consider a doping forum of discussing opinions etc as a court of law?

Maybe you could define what you would consider evidence?

Informed opinion is good, and I agree that sometimes performance is not enough...
Howerver, look at the era, the competitors, the environment at the time etc..

You can ask for evidence and informed opinion, but does performance in a certain environment not constitute the right to forming an (rightfull) opinion?

Bailey's performance that day might have been truly clean, but is it likely so?

Just asking.................

In every sporting competition someone is going to win. That is a given. That performance is therefore the best performance in the race that day. |Bailey was a truly remarkable athlete not just in track but in other sports as well such as Basketball. (If you follow basketball at all Canada has made an amazing contribution recently to Division 1 NCAA basketball and the NBA.) Donovan was also born in Jamaica where there is a gene pool of sprinting talent. The bottom line he was (is) one of the best athletes in the world.

Is it reasonable that a better athlete is on any given day going to win the competition. Logic and reason say that is the case. Therefore Bailey was capable of a "truly remarkable" performance. And that performance came at Atlanta. 9.84 is not very remarkable today given what Bolt and others have done.

Merely because an athlete has a great or "remarkable" performance does not even come close to being evidence he was doped. Merely because an athlete wins a race does not even come close to being evidence of doping. Except in the Forum!

When I refer to evidence I refer to facts. A fact is actual and absolute reality, as distinguished from mere supposition or opinion. A fact is truth, as distinguished from fiction or error.

So for example your quote from the Globe and Mail does not even cite the author of the article, his/her credentials, his/her knowledge of facts, or on what basis the uncited person's opinion is based. That is unsubstantiated hearsay and worse still unsubstantiated hearsay about an opinion i.e. hearsay of a mere supposition.

I agree that the era was nasty. I agree that a lot of athletes whose only interest in life is their specific sport would cheat to get ahead. But Bailey was a stockbroker making good money. He didn't need track. The facts are he was just too good not to give it a go. Do you agree that some people in this world are simply more gifted athletically than others?

I do not consider the Forum even close to a court of law, because it is rife with ill-informed opinion, speculation, rhetoric, cynicism (justifiably), mockery of other persons point of view, trolling, baiting, incivility, and plain old trash talk. It is not a forum where an opinion has much credibility in the real world. The Forum is an artificial world where anonymity allows anyone to say anything they want and pretend it has credibility.

I agree that performances in the environment of the late 80's and early 90s well up to say 2010 were in an era in cycling very suspicious because as we know now there is a plethora of evidence and fact about it. The USADA Reasoned Decision on Armstrong, Hamilton and others have provided that evidence.

An I respect Bassons opinion about riders today. But he is speculating based on his own experiences in another era. That does not mean his opinion should be dismissed but how valid is it without fact and evidence?

There are also lots of reasons to be sceptical about track - Marion Jones, Flo Jo, Carl Lewis, and a host of others. Keep in mind Ben Johnson ( who was a about 15 years before Bailey and not a contemporary of Baileys) was caught in a drug test.

In my view people who post in the Forum can sound off about anything they want, express any opinion they want etc. It is free for all. Some opinions have more logic than others. But if a poster wants to be taken seriously the opinion needs to be informed with fact and evidence.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

― Harlan Ellison

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au

RobbieCanuck said:
An I respect Bassons opinion about riders today. But he is speculating based on his own experiences in another era. That does not mean his opinion should be dismissed but how valid is it without fact and evidence?
But if a poster wants to be taken seriously the opinion needs to be informed with fact and evidence.

Bassons, who now works as a sports professor for the French ministry of sport and spends up to half of his time trying to prevent doping

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/oct/13/christophe-bassons-not-bitter-lance-armstrong

I'd say it's more valid than any poster on this site.

Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
Is there a gene pool of marathon running in Kenya, or are those ridiculous times due to doping?

Originally it was genetic makeup and high altitude natives... eg: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2003/11/why_are_kenyansfast_runners.html

But now?

Bahahahahah genetic pool. smh.

Show me another nation other than Jamaica that has had such success in sprinting? Or is it just a coincidence. We all know that genes mean nothing unless they are expressed by triggers in the environment, but use a little logic and reason for once in your lifetime! There is a historical tradition to sprinting in Jamaica that gives a lot of opportunity for gene expression! Your mockery, smugness and whining is really running pretty thin, meaningless and vacuous.

Dear Wiggo said:
RobbieCanuck said:
But if a poster wants to be taken seriously the opinion needs to be informed with fact and evidence.

Bassons, who now works as a sports professor for the French ministry of sport and spends up to half of his time trying to prevent doping

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/oct/13/christophe-bassons-not-bitter-lance-armstrong

I'd say it's more valid than any poster on this site.

Okay Mr. Smart A$$. What is Basson's evidence? Or is he just speculating like you do all the time so you can fit in with the other speculators in the Forum. So he is a sports professor in the French Ministry of Sport. It is pretty unusual to have a "Professor" designation in a sports ministry. Maybe at a University but a government agency? No way. And he spends half of his time trying to prevent doping. SO WHAT! So do a ton of people. I am sure Bassons has his hunches and they are a lot more informed that the next guy but they are still hunches.

So lay it on us - what are Basson's facts and evidence?

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.

neineinei said:
RobbieCanuck said:
Catwhoorg said:
Lets have a crazy quiz.

when was the last 'clean' Olympic champion at a sprint distance for this question assume I mean, 100M or 200M.

Donovan Bailey 1996
What is your evidence that Bolt is not 'clean'?

I didn't say he was clean!

But when someone is alleging someone cheats or is a doper it is not up to me to try to prove a positive, which cannot be done. It is up to you to prove your allegation if you are saying Bolt is dirty.

The real world works on the principle that he who alleges must prove. That is what Darwin did with evolution. It is what Einstein did with general relativity. It is the rule of law. It is what is done in the workplace. It is the fundamental principle in every civilized democratic society.

It is not the governing principle in the Clinic because in the Clinic an athlete is presumed to dope if he performs well, by innuendo, by who he hangs out with, by speculation, and so on. And that is okay. Just don't expect to be taken seriously.

Bolt was asked if he was clean in the context of the positives for Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay and he stated as follows:

"The 26-year-old, who was last tested by anti-doping officials on Tuesday, said: "I was made to inspire people and made to run. I was given a gift and that's what I do. I know I'm clean so I'm just going to continue running and using my talent."

I know of no evidence or facts that suggests Bolt is dirty. If you have some facts or evidence please share them with us.

Or, go on Bolt's website and ask him or make the allegation with your evidence. Bolt can be reached at

usainbolt.com

RobbieCanuck said:
Dear Wiggo said:
Is there a gene pool of marathon running in Kenya, or are those ridiculous times due to doping?

Originally it was genetic makeup and high altitude natives... eg: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2003/11/why_are_kenyansfast_runners.html

But now?

Bahahahahah genetic pool. smh.

Show me another nation other than Jamaica that has had such success in sprinting? Or is it just a coincidence. We all know that genes mean nothing unless they are expressed by triggers in the environment, but use a little logic and reason for once in your lifetime! There is a historical tradition to sprinting in Jamaica that gives a lot of opportunity for gene expression! Your mockery, smugness and whining is really running pretty thin, meaningless and vacuous.

There is a notoriously bad anti-doping agency under the thumb of the Islands athletic leaders to ensure stars 'never test positive'.

JADCO was slammed by the report last year (or was it 2013 ?)

That sort of thing helps.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Wow. So the logic goes:

performance is not enough to predict doping BUT
performance is all we need to predict genetic differentiation / mutation AND
people in Jamaica are sprinting all the time

Is that away from sample collectors or what?

May 19, 2010
Visit site

RobbieCanuck said:
neineinei said:
RobbieCanuck said:
Catwhoorg said:
Lets have a crazy quiz.

when was the last 'clean' Olympic champion at a sprint distance for this question assume I mean, 100M or 200M.

Donovan Bailey 1996

But when someone is alleging someone cheats or is a doper it is not up to me to try to prove a positive, which cannot be done. It is up to you to prove your allegation if you are saying Bolt is dirty.

The real world works on the principle that he who alleges must prove. That is what Darwin did with evolution. It is what Einstein did with general relativity. It is the rule of law. It is what is done in the workplace. It is the fundamental principle in every civilized democratic society.

It is not the governing principle in the Clinic because in the Clinic an athlete is presumed to dope if he performs well, by innuendo, by who he hangs out with, by speculation, and so on. And that is okay. Just don't expect to be taken seriously.

Bolt was asked if he was clean in the context of the positives for Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay and he stated as follows:

"The 26-year-old, who was last tested by anti-doping officials on Tuesday, said: "I was made to inspire people and made to run. I was given a gift and that's what I do. I know I'm clean so I'm just going to continue running and using my talent."

I know of no evidence or facts that suggests Bolt is dirty. If you have some facts or evidence please share them with us.

Or, go on Bolt's website and ask him or make the allegation with your evidence. Bolt can be reached at

usainbolt.com
When you say Bailey is the last clean sprinter you are also saying Bolt is not clean.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

neineinei said:
RobbieCanuck said:
neineinei said:
RobbieCanuck said:
Catwhoorg said:
Lets have a crazy quiz.

Donovan Bailey 1996

usainbolt.com
When you say Bailey is the last clean sprinter you are also saying Bolt is not clean.

I guess he was a little confused... ;)

That happens when your national bias gets in the way of rationality (as it always happens in discussions of doping; "my" national "hero" is clean, only the others dope).

Ofc there is no tiny doubt to any human with common sense following how pro sports and especially the most dope riddled pro sports work, that Donovan Bailey was max jacked up to come out of nowhere at age 29 (!!!) to beat old doper world records on his 2nd international showing up.

... LA like transformation, or in track & field proportions: a Carmelita Jeter/ Florence Griffith-Joyner like transfo. He was one of the most disgusting sprinters that came and go.

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Show me another nation other than Jamaica that has had such success in sprinting?

Sorry Canuck are you being serious ? Just talking about the men the evidence is so far stacked against you as to be truly laughable.

There have been 27 versions of the olympic games and in all of that time there have been 6 jamaican medals (only 2 golds) in the 100m and 6 medals in the 200m and 3 in the 4x100m

Now that is a total of 15 medals in total out of a potential of approx 250

USA has 34 in the 100m, they have 46 in the 200m and 17 medals just in the 4x100m
The UK has 14 in the 100m 5 in the 200m and 7 in the 4x100m

So to paraphrase your own words - Ignorance is no standpoint from which to make an argument at all.

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

As for this gem from the Canuck

You truly are starting to sound like a Lance fanboy now

All you need to do is start to go on about never having tested positive as absolute proof of innocence

Oh no wait you did that already didn't you !!!!!

Sorry why are you in the clinic at all with this level of naivety (and i am being kind as there are a lot of other terms to use for the arguments you are putting forward.)

EXCLUSIVE: Dozens of winning horses drugged at Kentucky Derby race course - and one was on SPEED. Official figures reveal shame of trainers at Churchill Downs ahead of nation's favorite race

**Official documents seen by Daily Mail Online show 46 horses tested positive for banned substance at the racing track in last year
**One had methamphetamine - speed - in its system and others were on painkillers so they could perform despite injuries
**Charity PETA says use of painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs leads to deaths of horses on American courses
It releases video urging people not to bet on Saturday's Kentucky Derby, the biggest day in American racing calendar

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3059848/Dozens-winning-horses-drugged-Kentucky-Derby-race-course-one-SPEED-Official-figures-reveal-shame-trainers-Churchill-Downs-ahead-nation-s-favorite-race.html

NFL, NBA, MLB

I haven't watched an NBA game since the mid 1990s. I don't know anyone who watches it either, so I'm confused who actually cares.

It's a pure hoax. It's like WWE, but with a ball. And, I like wrestling! None of the players care at all in the NBA until the finals, just going through the motions.

The NFL is just a corporate hoax to sell people:
a) trucks
b) cell phones
c) lite beer

Baseball, well baseball has always been boring as ***.

The only sports I watch are cycling, intl. soccer, and some ice hockey.

Tyre Byter said:
Dear Wiggo said:
blackcat said:
arthurvandelay said:
Blackcat et al:

For what it is worth I find the NBA to be most "engineered" of American pro sports. A lot of what happens seems to be carefully scripted and prodded. There is no way that the most recent superstars (Kobe and LeBron) would ever have a positive drug test. There seems to always be an anointed one who gets most of the media focus and gets cut a lot of slack from the officials.

plus the back office NBA hq, they conspire to select the best refs who will call games according to the stars liking, or disliking, pending the team. so they get the big market teams, and big stars thru to the conference finals and 7 game playoff
http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

Earlier this year, UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones (touted by many as the greatest mixed martial arts fighter of all time) dodged the bullet for an OOC cocaine positive because WADA protocol does not include recreational drugs OOC. He received no punishments and was allowed by the sanctioning body to (successfully) defend his title. Well, now he's been accused of a hit-and-run automobile accident, fleeing the scene on foot, and leaving marijuana and marijuana paraphernalia in the rental car he abandoned.

Jones was been sacked by his top sponsor (Reebok) and UFC has stripped him of his LHW title. UFC president Dana White hasn't said Jones is fired but he is pretty unequivocal that he's burned through his allotment of good will.

Re:

StyrbjornSterki said:
Earlier this year, UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones (touted by many as the greatest mixed martial arts fighter of all time) dodged the bullet for an OOC cocaine positive because WADA protocol does not include recreational drugs OOC. He received no punishments and was allowed by the sanctioning body to (successfully) defend his title. Well, now he's been accused of a hit-and-run automobile accident, fleeing the scene on foot, and leaving marijuana and marijuana paraphernalia in the rental car he abandoned.

Jones was been sacked by his top sponsor (Reebok) and UFC has stripped him of his LHW title. UFC president Dana White hasn't said Jones is fired but he is pretty unequivocal that he's burned through his allotment of good will.

Wow, so hard to imagine that someone who makes a living being violent and punching people in the face also likes drugs...

Then again, if I had more money I'd probably try cocaine again. It makes ya feel pretty damn good!

The latest story of his hit and run is absurd.

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Re:

**Official documents seen by Daily Mail Online show 46 horses tested positive for banned substance at the racing track in last year
**One had methamphetamine - speed - in its system and others were on painkillers so they could perform despite injuries
**Charity PETA says use of painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs leads to deaths of horses on American courses
It releases video urging people not to bet on Saturday's Kentucky Derby, the biggest day in American racing calendar

The only surprising part of this is that anyone is surprised!!!

All drugs have been tested on either race horses or greyhounds before they ever make it to human sports and the drugs in racing have been an accepted part of the sport for many decades.

A number of famous endurance coaches in numerous sports are all ex greyhound or racehorse trainers.

My ex wife was a race horse trainer and would often talk of what used to go on at the stables or in their training regimes.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Cycle Chic said:
Have the Brownlee brothers been discussed ? Just seems odd that they are dominating that sport - and against a Spaniard (not that all spanish are dirty - but odds are on )
these guys train with Sky,
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/10865306/The-Brownlee-brothers-how-to-upgrade-your-cycling-skills.html
smell like Sky,
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/11406318/Brownlee-brothers-10-things-nobody-tells-you-about-being-a-professional-triathlete.html
and probably dope like Sky.

British dominance in endurance sports is one dodgy chapter.

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

sniper said:
Cycle Chic said:
Have the Brownlee brothers been discussed ? Just seems odd that they are dominating that sport - and against a Spaniard (not that all spanish are dirty - but odds are on )
these guys train with Sky,
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/10865306/The-Brownlee-brothers-how-to-upgrade-your-cycling-skills.html
smell like Sky,
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/11406318/Brownlee-brothers-10-things-nobody-tells-you-about-being-a-professional-triathlete.html
and probably dope like Sky.

British dominance in endurance sports is one dodgy chapter.

Well as someone who has been in triathlon for many many years you don't even need to dig at all
Take a look at past ironman winners who got popped or admitted doping and it is a long list
Then take a look at for the brit who missed three tests and was still allowed to go to the world champs and then in the only year he ever managed it won the world championship
Take a look at the individual who came from a desk job and suddenly transformed from an age group athlete into the most dominant female ironman athlete of all time and retired at her peak (all after setting up with a known doping coach who was an ex greyhound trainer from australia and convicted pedophile.)
However there is a little something with the Brownlee brothers that does go in their favour
that is the list of titles and the ages from when they were winning them
Look at alistairs list of titles on wikipedia (it's too long to post on here) and you will see him dominating from a very young age. He was possibly good enough to be a british runner in his own right but as a triathlete in the draft legal age of triathlon he is unstoppabel because of his running prowess.

Now on the downside is that he went to university to study sport science and physiology and that also his father is a Dr which some people have suggested in the past they could have used to help his sons from an early age, Personally I don't believe that and especially as he is a specialist in the field of cystic fibrosis so is not involved in sport drugs or athletes in any way. And also because I do believe a father would not put his children through that and take them down that path.

So my answer to the original post is this - Triathlon is a minority sport that has two governing bodies (one for Ironman and one for olympic sport) is not the most tested sport on the planet and is one where drugs would be a HUGE advantage. and has a long history of drug related issues, although long is a relative term for a sport only in existence for 40 years.

Add to that a very quick google search you can find pro and amateur athletes on message boards discussing needle gauges for drawing blood and injecting epo and other drugs; also discussing where is the best source to buy drugs from that are not tainted and will actually get delivered.

Given that you can buy a centrifuge for $100 online (or less) and EPO for $210 for 30,000ui and all the extras you need for the process for about $200. That is $500 for a set up that can take you from competitive to great. Insulin can be bought for about $400, steroids (your choice of poison) for around $300 and Aicar about $29 (but you would need at least 10 of these to be a useful dose) So for the full suite you could do it all for around $1,500.

And all of these purchases are completely legal as they would be bought from Laboratory supply retailers. So there is no way of knowing where the goods were going or what they are being used for.

In other words yes triathlon probably has issues and possibly at the top of the sport, but then given the availability of this stuff - I would imagine so does every other sport on the planet.