• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 18, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, I wonder if the NFL is starting to crack down a bit on the juicing? I don't have one link that covers it all, but there have been at least 3-4 suspensions handed out just today and some of these guys are not just the backup scrub players. The NFL has turned a blind eye forever on PED's, but I'm willing to bet that because of all the concussion lawsuits, and players quitting due to concussion concerns, the NFL is trying to size down their players to a more human level. 6'6", 330lb linemen who can run faster than wide receivers of 30 years ago is "not normal" and the immense size and power of these players is probably contributing a lot more to player injuries and concussions we are seeing now.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more and more of these suspensions "metered out" over the next few years as a warning to all the players to chill out on the PED's. They can't suspend all the cheaters, because that would be 95% of the league, so they'll do it slowly. But I'm pretty sure we will start to see more and more NFL players suspended for PED use.

Bumping this to show how much less most fans of sport care about PEDs than the media. Case in point, Jhonny Peralta and Nelson Cruz were elected to the MLB all star game by a fan vote despite serving bans due to the biogenesis scandal a few years ago. Both are having excellent years in their 30s. Good thing they only had to serve 50 game bans and not 2 years.

Re:

djpbaltimore said:
Bumping this to show how much less most fans of sport care about PEDs than the media. Case in point, Jhonny Peralta and Nelson Cruz were elected to the MLB all star game by a fan vote despite serving bans due to the biogenesis scandal a few years ago. Both are having excellent years in their 30s. Good thing they only had to serve 50 game bans and not 2 years.

lol. Antonio Gates just last week got 4 games in NFL. Will still get into the Hall of Fame easy. Good thing too since the San Diego Chargers weren't living up to their name.

Re:

djpbaltimore said:
And what do most NFL fans really care about? How his suspension affects their fantasy football draft.
To be fair to NFL fans , a lot of them have the - "they are all doing it" attitude. Quite a lot of the commentary I saw from fans pointed out that he basically faced an iq test and that ped use is rife within the sport, how else do linemen reach 300 pounts while maintaing 4.5 dash speed and having a vertical jump of 6 foot.

Which in my book puts them well ahead of most sports fans, especially in Europe in the intelligence stakes.

Maybe if cycling started issuing a few week bans for drug offenses its fans would also wisen up a bit.

@IamIronman: Interesting post. I was wondering why NFL players were suddenly starting to get popped, but what you said makes a lot of sense.
@Anaconda: I'm gonna take a wild guess and suggest the broomball player was trying to save their job and reputation by trying to avoid testing positive for recreational drugs. I thought broomball died years ago. I would be shocked if someone was using PED's to enhance their broomball game.

Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
To be fair to NFL fans , a lot of them have the - "they are all doing it" attitude. Quite a lot of the commentary I saw from fans pointed out that he basically faced an iq test and that ped use is rife within the sport, how else do linemen reach 300 pounts while maintaing 4.5 dash speed and having a vertical jump of 6 foot.

Which in my book puts them well ahead of most sports fans, especially in Europe in the intelligence stakes.

Maybe if cycling started issuing a few week bans for drug offenses its fans would also wisen up a bit.

True, I think that is an accurate assessment. I can't imagine anybody holding up their favorite NFL team as a paragon of cleanliness or be insulted if their team was accused of using PEDs. It is definitely a different mindset compared to pro-cycling.

@Hitch
My former boss used to play Division 1 college football. When I asked if he ever used PED's, he didn't hesitate by saying yes. I was taken aback by the ease with which he answered. I thought I'd have to pry a little more before he reluctantly admitted that "some people do it."
The entire conversation lasted no more than five minutes, during which I learned about a team-wide doping program administered by doctors.
Point being is everyone knows. But I'm surprised that it's never talked about in the media.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

the delgados said:
@Hitch
My former boss used to play Division 1 college football. When I asked if he ever used PED's, he didn't hesitate by saying yes. I was taken aback by the ease with which he answered. I thought I'd have to pry a little more before he reluctantly admitted that "some people do it."
The entire conversation lasted no more than five minutes, during which I learned about a team-wide doping program administered by doctors.
Point being is everyone knows. But I'm surprised that it's never talked about in the media.

was it a big div1 team like Michigan or Texas? or just a smallish div1 team?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Re:

Catwhoorg said:
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/northumbria-university-reveals-bodybuilders-using-9601129#ICID=FB-Chron-main

University of Northumbria shows steroid using body builders more likely to suffer memory problems later in life.
Sadly published in a fairly low quality journal, due to the sample size (100)

Could be tied with some of the issues with NFL players

*Due to the lack of celebrity of the players.

see sample size of 1: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15774697

Re: Re:

blackcat said:
the delgados said:
@Hitch

was it a big div1 team like Michigan or Texas? or just a smallish div1 team?

Sorry, I can't recall.
I remember him saying he was drafted by a CFL team, but he declined due to the fact he could make more money doing other things.

Another golfer caught:

The three-time Tour winner never failed a drug test, but after suffering from fatigue and being advised by his doctor to take DHEA, an anabolic agent that is the precursor to testosterone production and banned by the Tour, he realized he'd violated the policy and turned himself in which is tantamount to a positive test under the anti-doping program.

“Whether I intended to or not, I took something that wasn't allowed. I called a penalty on myself, that's the best way to look at it,” Stallings told GolfChannel.com. “I did it immediately, so much so it took [the Tour official] by surprise.”

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/25235516/scott-stallings-suspended-by-pga-tour-for-performance-enhancing-drugs

Before José Aldo withdrew from his much-ballyhooed upcoming MMA match (UFC 189) against Connor McGregor due to an injury to his ribs during training camp, he was OOC tested at his home gym in Brazil. In fact, he was tested twice, but after providing the NSAC man the first sample, Aldo's coach/manager telephoned the Brazilian sports commission to see if they were aware the NSAC man was in the country (which in itself sounds dodgy, as if he was expecting a "heads-up" before any tester arrived). This led to investigating the NSAC man's immigration status which in turn led to the discovery that he had failed to obtain a Brazilian work permit. So before he could get to the airport and gone with Aldo's samples, he was accosted by officials and the samples were confiscated.

So the NSAC man got his work permit and came back for still another Aldo sample. Two days later.

Two days ago, the results of Aldo's second test were published. As you might expect -- with two day's forewarning -- the test came back negative. However, his T/E ration was upside-down, 0.45:1. As I noted in an earlier post in this thread, Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier both also had upside-down T/E ratios (<1:1) in OOCs leading up to their fight in UFC 182. To be fair, at least Cormiers' total Test was in the normal range, but Jones' Test numbers were those of a 60-year old man.

Aldo's total Test in this OOC was 4.7ng/mL, which is on the low side of normal for a man aged 28 but not suspiciously so. Unless, perhaps, you are an elite athlete.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Catwhoorg said:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-33350702

How easy is it to cheat in sports ? is the title.

Interesting discussion from 4 experts in the field of doping (and anti-doping), including Victor Conte

mostly a greenwashing article. still BS. apart from Conte, we get the JV pov

TRENDING THREADS