• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

irondan said:
Catwhoorg said:
Former World Champion Darts player Richie Burnett suspended for 18 months for cocaine

BBC article:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/darts/34593161

UKAD list hasn't been updated as of yet.
Darts isn't a sport imo, not in the traditional sense anyway.

I simply don't see how any drug at all would be of any benefit to a darts player. :rolleyes:

the beta blocker for starters. they cant have the bb's in archery, and shooting, and pentathlon and the nordic skiing pentathlon either

think golf too. the beta blockers also manage to calm nerves and slow the heart for shots like putting.

blackcat said:
irondan said:
Catwhoorg said:
Former World Champion Darts player Richie Burnett suspended for 18 months for cocaine

BBC article:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/darts/34593161

UKAD list hasn't been updated as of yet.
Darts isn't a sport imo, not in the traditional sense anyway.

I simply don't see how any drug at all would be of any benefit to a darts player. :rolleyes:

the beta blocker for starters. they cant have the bb's in archery, and shooting, and pentathlon and the nordic skiing pentathlon either
That's because those are all sports. (I'm on the fence in regards to shooting)

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what beta blockers do. How would that particular drug give an advantage to a dart player?

Re:

djpbaltimore said:
Beta blockers are named because they block the action of the adrenaline hormones on cells possessing the beta adrenergic receptors. From a PED standpoint, it should have a steadying effect by decreasing heart rate, blood pressure, and anxiety.
I guess it's true that you learn something new everyday. :D

BB's would certainly give a dart player an advantage over his/her opponent. I stand corrected.

Thanks guys.

American prizefighter and former WBC, WBA (Super), and IBF light heavyweight world champion Antonio "Magic Man" Tarver (aged 46) has been busted for synthetic testosterone. He protested his innocence and requested the 'B' sample be tested, but it was positive as well. He also was popped in 2012 for the AAS Drostanolone, for which he was fined and received a 1-year suspension.

Tarver made remarks alluding to exoneration as the result of "further analysis" but when the A & B samples both are positive, ...good luck with that. I've seen nothing regarding how this came about but the determination of synthetic-vs-natural Test only can be made with the more expensive CIR test, normally only triggered in the event that the athlete's T/E ratio test results are skewed.

Not directly athletics-related but there has been mention in this thread of the possibility (probability?) that stand-up comic and UFC pitch man Joe Rogan was on the juice. He told Rolling Stone magazine that he is on TRT (claims it's "a very light dose") and takes HGH injections.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Re:

StyrbjornSterki said:
Not directly athletics-related but there has been mention in this thread of the possibility (probability?) that stand-up comic and UFC pitch man Joe Rogan was on the juice. He told Rolling Stone magazine that he is on TRT (claims it's "a very light dose") and takes HGH injections.

loling here. Since when does so much beefcake not get sustained without significant help?

Not buying it. I don't begrudge what he's taking, just the mental gymnastics employed to justify it.

The UFC have reinstated stripped LHW champ Jon Jones, well earlier than I might have imagined.

“We've made it clear to Jon that this new opportunity to compete in UFC is a privilege and not a right, and that there are significant expectations we have regarding his conduct moving forward," said UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta. “We’re happy to read and see reports that he has embraced the terms of his plea agreement and is using this experience to grow and develop as a person.”

“I am thankful to be able to do what I love once again and I look forward to proving myself as a champion in and outside of the Octagon,” Jones said.
It isn't difficult to suss out Fertitta's motivation. Jones is a BIG earner for the UCF. His most recent appearance in the octagon (UFC 182, 03 January 2015) sold 800,000 pay-per-views, when most sell well under half a million. That difference is worth in excess of $15 million USD to the promotion.

Further, the UFC's fight scheduling is so aggressive as to be a near-run thing. Having one more top tier fighter in their stable goes a long way toward preventing events collapsing, as happened with last year's UFC 176, and nearly happened with today's Fight Night 76 in Dublin, Ireland (starts at 20:00 GMT).

EDIT:
Either I'd forgot or never knew, but Jones also was arrested for Drink Driving in 2012 in New York state after parking a telephone pole in the living room of his Bentley. And I would argue it is reasonable to conclude he also was driving while impaired in the hit-and-run incident.

Further proof, it is good to be king.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Dear Wiggo said:
loling here. Since when does so much beefcake not get sustained without significant help?

Not buying it. I don't begrudge what he's taking, just the mental gymnastics employed to justify it.

skin always looked too ruddy, his beard too thick, even with 5pm growth, or 5pm shadow, always looked too beefcake. like you are saying, the mental beefcake gymnastics or mental gymnastics of the beefcake.

he would be on more than a little testo and hgh.

think he would have started to use the peptides that stimulate your own pituitary to make your own tsto/gh and own other eNDogenous androgens, that allow the 100 metre sprinters to now do 9.6 when 2 decades back on common GDR roids they could only do 10, and 9.9

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

StyrbjornSterki said:
The UFC have reinstated stripped LHW champ Jon Jones, well earlier than I might have imagined.

“We've made it clear to Jon that this new opportunity to compete in UFC is a privilege and not a right, and that there are significant expectations we have regarding his conduct moving forward," said UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta. “We’re happy to read and see reports that he has embraced the terms of his plea agreement and is using this experience to grow and develop as a person.”

“I am thankful to be able to do what I love once again and I look forward to proving myself as a champion in and outside of the Octagon,” Jones said.
It isn't difficult to suss out Fertitta's motivation. Jones is a BIG earner for the UCF. His most recent appearance in the octagon (UFC 182, 03 January 2015) sold 800,000 pay-per-views, when most sell well under half a million. That difference is worth in excess of $15 million USD to the promotion.

Further, the UFC's fight scheduling is so aggressive as to be a near-run thing. Having one more top tier fighter in their stable goes a long way toward preventing events collapsing, as happened with last year's UFC 176, and nearly happened with today's Fight Night 76 in Dublin, Ireland (starts at 20:00 GMT).

like DW says on Rogan

absolutely zero doping going on with the Fertitta bros

like the WWF owner

Lorenzo-Fertitta-UFC-129-8579.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

blackcat said:
StyrbjornSterki said:

like DW says on Rogan

absolutely zero doping going on with the Fertitta bros

like the WWF owner

Lorenzo-Fertitta-UFC-129-8579.jpg

yeah, seems the Fertitta bros have a bit of a d!ck size rivalry with the WWE's Vince McMahon. no doping to see here folks, all is normal, pls move along. all natural, just hard work

t022dd8_50.jpg

Some information on the NCAA testing I came across talking about the recent suspension of the Florida Gator QB.

Mary Wilfert, who runs the NCAA’s drug-testing program, said 11,146 student-athletes were tested by the NCAA in 2014. There were 172 positive tests. Of those positive tests, 103 were for PEDs, and 55 were for the more serious doping/anabolic steroids.

There are approximately 420,000 athletes under the NCAA umbrella. The tests are heavily slanted to monitor football players, Wilfert said, but the NCAA did not provide data of how many of the positive PED tests were from football players.

====
under 12 000 tested out of 420 000, is hardly any sort of robust program

Later in the article there is a comment about every FBS team is tested once per year, and at least 18 players from the squad are tested.

Here is the article link if anyone wishes to peruse it:
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/unexpected-knockdown-trying-to-make-sense-out-of-florida-quarterback-will-griers-situation

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
yeah, the Florida Gators and the Michigan Wolverines and the Texas Longhorns were prolly testing to see if they were, in cycling parlance, "being professional"

NCAA drug screening doesn't test for every substance. Schools pay for different levels of screening, and even the most comprehensive test doesn't test for everything WADA would.

Athletes get advanced notice, one or several days in advance. The tests are always on the same day anyway.

Then add in the cronyism and corruption of college athletics, and you'll see positive tests ignored or hidden, staff colluding to make a sample negative and slap-on-the-wrist penalties if Athletic Depts. are ever forced to play a hand.

The UFC's hiring of USADA today has paid its first dividend. MMA fighter Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipović was suspended for failing an OOC. The substance(s) was not announced.

Just yesterday Cro Cop, aged 41, announced he was withdrawing from a fight scheduled for 28 November against Anthony Johnson at UFC Fight Night 79 (in Seoul) owing to a shoulder injury, and further announced his retirement from the sport (for the second time). The timing of that announcement seems a little too coincidental but today Cro Cop has blogged that desperation had driven him to resort to HGH treatments to heal the injured shoulder and perhaps save the fight (the UFC are infamous for pressuring fighters to fight even when injured). He also writes that immediately after the USADA agents left, he telephoned the UFC and notified them of the OOC and his HGH use.

Cro Cop is an old warhorse in the UFC, with eight years experience in the octagon. A heavyweight (1.88m, 105kg) noted for legs like Roman columns and ferocious head kicks, which he once described as "right leg, hospital; left leg, cemetery." He once was an elected member of the Croatian parliament and his nom de guerre "Cro Cop" refers to his service as a commando with the Croatian Lučko anti-terrorist police. A heavyweight, both literally and metaphorically, and a real-life, certified, blue-ribbon bad-ass. This development will come as a great disappointment to many UFC fans.

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Olympic Weightlifting

The use of anabolic steroids and their diuretic masking agents such as Furosemide has been endemic to elite level Olympic Weightlifting since at least the 1950's. PED use was totally out of control in the sport during the 1980's, a period during which Olympic and World records were set that have yet to be surpassed.

Following the introduction of more reliable in-competition testing in the 1990's, the Sport's authorities got around the 'problem' of having world records that could no longer be approached, never mind beat, by making small changes to all the bodyweight classes, to effectively annul all the old 'records' from the books. The 1980's 'records' do however, continue to provide a useful benchmark as to the limits of human performance since they were set by elite level athletes on very high dosages of steroids.

How good were those 1980 peak steroid use era performances? As with Marita Koch's totally ridiculous 400m track world record, the passage of time has thrown up some astonishing performance comparisons with athletes of today.

Naim Suleymanoglu, the Bulgarian 'pocket hercules' who won the Olympic Weightlifting Gold Medal at the 1988 Olympics in the 60Kg/ 9st 4lb/ bodyweight class, lifted more than the silver medalist in the super-heavyweight class at the 2015 USA weightlifting championships who weighed nearly 23 stone!

The reason why no Brit or American has ever come close to winning an olympic weightlifting medal since the 1980's is mainly due to the introduction of out of competition testing. Russia, and its ex central Asian and Eastern European satellite states and China either don't do any out of competition testing or 'manage' the results of their elite athletes.

It would be a fairly safe bet that if every Olympic weightlifting Gold medalist from the London Olympics were to have received an unannounced visit from an independent testing body requesting a urine sample 6 months beforehand, that every single one of them would have tested positive for PED's. The two Russians who were the red hot favourites for the 105Kg Class mysteriously cried off less than fortnight beforehand citing 'injury' - many in the sport believe a more accurate interpretation is that both came 'off' the juice too late and were prevented by the Russian testers from travelling to London.

The recent news that all 11 Bulgarian weightlifters at a recent training camp for the 2015 European championships tested positive following an unannounced visit from independent testers sent by the sports governing body, as a result of the Bulgarian National squad being involved in a number of previous positive test scandals, surprised few within the sport. This latest scandal was the same deal as is in 2008, when 11 Bulgarians tested positive for methandienone (Dianabol).

How powerful are steroids? Check out 10st 12lb Bulgarian Galabin Boevski, the Olympic & World Champion and World Record holder finishing off a heavy training session with some 250kg squats. Galabin was subsequently banned for life after a second positive test, although not before winning Gold at the Sydney Olympics, where he also set a new World C&J record - as one commentator remarked at the time " never has setting a new WR been made to look so easy".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xozRc6I8pBU

Re:

The Hitch said:
Some ex nba stars casually shooting the breeze about a ped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPCn_raDJf0&t=6m50s

Sounds quite powerful this Viox. Couldn't play without it, was like a youth with it.

Thank god PED's don't work like this in clean sports like cycling, soccer and athletics.

While Vioxx may enhance performance, just like any other NSAID, it has never been banned under the WADA code, just like ibuprofen and naproxen and as such anyone was free to take it and it cannot be considered doping.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au

King Boonen said:
The Hitch said:

Sounds quite powerful this Viox. Couldn't play without it, was like a youth with it.

Thank god PED's don't work like this in clean sports like cycling, soccer and athletics.

While Vioxx may enhance performance, just like any other NSAID, it has never been banned under the WADA code, just like ibuprofen and naproxen and as such anyone was free to take it and it cannot be considered doping.

Yes it can be considered doping, based purely on what was said in that video.

I know you are going to disagree with me and I don't care. Read up on the Milgram experiment. Just because an authority does or does not tell you something does not make it right or not.

If your performance is enhanced by a drug -- and it patently was, as confessed by those players -- then it is a performance enhancing drug. End of story.

Dear Wiggo said:
King Boonen said:
The Hitch said:

Yes it can be considered doping, based purely on what was said in that video.

I know you are going to disagree with me and I don't care. Read up on the Milgram experiment. Just because an authority does or does not tell you something does not make it right or not.

If your performance is enhanced by a drug -- and it patently was, as confessed by those players -- then it is a performance enhancing drug. End of story.

I didn't say it wasn't a PED, I didn't say it was right, I didn't make any ethical or biological inference at all. I said it wasn't doping. They are very different things. Doping in sport refers, specifically, to the use of BANNED substances. Vioxx has never been banned and it therefore is not doping. To refer to it as such, particularly in the clinic, is a massive shifting of the goalposts and patently absurd as it completely blurs the lines of any discussion.

You can argue all you want that its performance enhancing, unethical, should be banned or at least controlled and I won't disagree with you. But it is 100% not doping.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough calling for substances to be banned but I don't think it's right to be calling people dopers based on these same substances with your own rules of being holier than thou.

TRENDING THREADS