• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Soccer/Football

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm no police, but I've seen the X- files and the Wire. Doesn't the FBI or any law enforcing organization work the case if it's there? If it's in the ball park, perhaps we can see some dirt I would hope. Presuming that there is no hinder in between then, like direct links back to someones son in college or so.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
sniper said:

i was thinking, any chance that the FBI is going to show an interest in organized doping in soccer? or will they stick to tax fraud and bribery?
hope dies last.
depends if the respective gov't attorney is in an election year and the sport doping is likely to get traction in the press

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
More scandal in football regarding Julio Grondona in his time as head of the Argentinian FA. Match-fixing being one but one other interesting point:

Another man left compromised by the wiretaps was Lanús president Alejandro Marón. The programme broadcast by América TV showed the official asking Grondona for advance notice of an anti-doping test, which Marón yesterday claimed was “taken out of context”

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/192263/grondona-wiretaps-cause-fresh-scandal-in-local-soccer

Read that Barcelona may be "tired" after getting crushed in their second game of the season.

Thought id take a look at the insane ammount of playing time they get. Especially Messi. Read that in the NBA Lebron has 18000 minutes over 3 years vs 15 000 for the next person and people are worried he is just taking too big a toll on his own body. Wondering if Messi is doing the same.

Here's an overlook of Messi's playing schedule over the last 2 years.
24th July - preseason begins. Playing time in various matches.
18th August - 10th November, plays every minute of 13 straight La Liga games, 4 champions league games and 2 super cup games. Also had 1 game in Asuncion for Argentina. Works out as 1 full game every 4.2 days.

November 10th to January 8th injured. Not exactly rest since he is trying to recover

8th January - 17th May. Plays every minute of every game in the league (18) + 5 in Copa del rey and 7 in Champions league. + 1 for Argentina Works out again as one game every 4.06 days.

17th may- 4th June 2 week break. Training with Argentina.
4th - 7th .2 warmup games.
15th June - 13th July. Every minute of 7 world cup games + 3 full extra times. 1 game every 4 days and the equivalent of 1 full 90 minutes every 3.5 days.

13th July - 24th August. Break. Finally gets a short rest. Not sure if he played some games in preseason though. Didn't score so I guess not.

24th August- 20th December. Messi plays all 16 league matches + 6 Champions league matches + 4 international matches. 1 game every 4.5 days. Refuses to be substituted.
20th December - January 4th winter break.

January 4th - May 23rd (finish of Spanish league)
22 league games, 6 champions league games, 5 copa del rey games. = 1 game every 4.2 days.
Oh and he was injured for a period there as well but played on anyway.

May 23d - June 6th - 2 more games. Both finals.

June 6th -June 13th. 1 week break. Flies to Chile for Copa America

13th June - July 4th - 6 games for Argentina. 1 every 3.6 days. Taking extra time into account, 1 full 90 every 3.47.

July 4th - August 5th 1 month break.

August 5th - already playing preseason games since he scored in one on August 5th.

August 11th - playing Supercup.
August 14th- first leg of Spanish supercup.

So he has had 1 injury break in late, 2013, a 5 week break in mid summer 2014, a 2 week winter break later that year and a 1 month break this year. In total 2.75 months break in 2 years vs 21.25 months playing none stop football at a rate of around 4.2 days per 90 minute game. And doing it at the best level ever, breaking records none stop.

Even Lebron who is everyone agrees taking major risks with his body gets breaks to recover. Something like 5x as much as Messi does.

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Flamin said:
One should divide Messi's minutes by 2, because 50% of the time he just stands on the pitch doing nothing, so naturally he's able to play this much.
It would be more meaningful to count the number of accelerations.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Eden Hazard is another one who has played a crazy amount of games.

Lebron is a bad comparison though because he's a true Frankenstein's Monster from his early teens and will eventually fall off a Nadal sized cliff.

It would be the easiest thing in the world to bust a doctor like this if he were administering peds. Send in someone undercover posing as an athlete. There are plenty of amateurs looking for peds.

The ITF could just as easily have done this with Del Moral in Valencia.

Andynonomous said:
Probably already covered here, but just in case it isn't.

A couple of articles on a suspicious German Doctor, who has treated many footballers, tennis players, and track athletes.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...fahrta-great-healer-quack-hyperactive-syringe

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/nicht-mehr-vereins-arzt-bei-den-bayern-6368566.bild.html

Thanks for the link. Some stuff I didn't know about there. Zero peer reviewed work, nearly every one of his injections contain actovegin , Radcliffe connection and 5/8 in the 2013 100m final were his patients. nothing to see here....

Re:

Catwhoorg said:
UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) today confirmed that Scottish footballer, Jordan McMillan, who was signed to Partick Thistle FC in the Scottish Premiership until March 2015, has been suspended from all sport for two years following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation.

Cocaine metabolites
http://www.ukad.org.uk/news/article/scottish-footballer-jordan-mcmillan-receives-two-year-ban/

Full decision
http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/a/6863

There are huge discrepancies between the sanctions applied for positives for 'Recreational' drugs. I don't think you need to be cynical to believe that if someone on, say the English International panel were to test positive for some coke; they'd get a shoulder to cry on, & the positive would be treated as a substance abuse issue, & not a disciplinary one.

I also have a hard time squaring the circle with a sanction like this for a drug that had zero positive impact on the players Performance, as in the P in PEDs; versus the the carte blanche that seems to apply to TUEs for asthma & thyroid meds, which clearly do have an impact, & aren't policied in any meaningful way !

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

keeponrollin said:
Catwhoorg said:
UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) today confirmed that Scottish footballer, Jordan McMillan, who was signed to Partick Thistle FC in the Scottish Premiership until March 2015, has been suspended from all sport for two years following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation.

Cocaine metabolites
http://www.ukad.org.uk/news/article/scottish-footballer-jordan-mcmillan-receives-two-year-ban/

Full decision
http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/a/6863

There are huge discrepancies between the sanctions applied for positives for 'Recreational' drugs. I don't think you need to be cynical to believe that if someone on, say the English International panel were to test positive for some coke; they'd get a shoulder to cry on, & the positive would be treated as a substance abuse issue, & not a disciplinary one.

I also have a hard time squaring the circle with a sanction like this for a drug that had zero positive impact on the players Performance, as in the P in PEDs; versus the the carte blanche that seems to apply to TUEs for asthma & thyroid meds, which clearly do have an impact, & aren't policied in any meaningful way !

Back in the mid-90s I got told by a bloke I knew at uni, whose father worked in pro football as a coach (3rd division sort of level), that everyone in football had stories about clubs that knew they had players who liked a toke or Es, being tipped off when the drug testers would be around. Said players would then not train that day with a "minor niggle".

I was more trusting back then and dismissed it as gossip, "mate of a mate said" etc. It might indeed have been gossip but nowadays, you wonder. Once a club removes players so as not trip a test for recreational drugs, it's surely a small step from there to finding ways to avoid tests for PEDs. Question is, if it wasn't just gossip (and I've since seen the same rumour on umpteen football fansites), how on earth were they finding out if the tests were supposed to be unannounced?

Re: Re:

Cake said:
I was more trusting back then and dismissed it as gossip, "mate of a mate said" etc. It might indeed have been gossip but nowadays, you wonder. Once a club removes players so as not trip a test for recreational drugs, it's surely a small step from there to finding ways to avoid tests for PEDs. Question is, if it wasn't just gossip (and I've since seen the same rumour on umpteen football fansites), how on earth were they finding out if the tests were supposed to be unannounced?

Ah, that bits easy, just ask Rio Ferdinand !

The fact is that you can't just drive into any Premiership training ground, & wander up to the training area. The clubs like to keep things a bit more secure, & it's easy enough when your dealing with a team of players to have them all put the training ground as there whereabouts location, then you get just enough time to tell any player who might have a problem to get scarce, if a tester checks in with security on the way in !

There's also the fact that Premiership football involves astronomical amounts of money. For the price of a sh1te fullbacks wages, you could bribe half the secretaries in UKADA !

Seems the sunday times is turning its attention on footy this week. Partial Story available online
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/thedopingscandal/article1609608.ece

THE most extensive doping study in football history has exposed significant levels of potential cheating by dozens of footballers playing for Europe’s top clubs and national teams.

Scientists commissioned by Uefa, European football’s governing body, found that 68 players recorded “atypical” drug test results that indicated the possible use of banned anabolic steroids.

The study examined more than 4,000 urine tests from professional players competing in the Champions League and Europa League, Europe’s top club competitions, and two European Championships between 2008 and 2013. It found 7.7% of the 879 players recorded drug tests so abnormal that they would trigger an investigation under new Uefa rules brought in this month.

Teams competing in these events in that period include the England national team, leading Premier League clubs and top Spanish, Italian and German clubs. The stud

TRENDING THREADS