• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Soccer/Football

Page 72 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

GuyIncognito said:
As much as Wenger is an arrogant **, he did mention a while back that several times they signed players who arrived with silly high hemoglobin levels.

I thought that before for a while too. But then remember narcisinho also attacked barca for doping while real were of course also implicated, and pirlo attacked deportivo.

But after radcliffe, I can't fully trust people just because they spoke out.

I don't see how Arsenal could have operated at such a high level for the last 2 decades in this cesspit of a sport while being the only clean in the village.

Maybe Wenger doesn't operate it himself or maybe he's a jv, pretending to keep his distance. But someone like Alexis, who's just come over from dopingstan and continues to be tip top at all the physical attributes like speed, strength and stamina, given what wr know about doping in football, it's difficult to but into arsenal as this anti doping island.

Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
GuyIncognito said:
As much as Wenger is an arrogant **, he did mention a while back that several times they signed players who arrived with silly high hemoglobin levels.

I thought that before for a while too. But then remember narcisinho also attacked barca for doping while real were of course also implicated, and pirlo attacked deportivo.

I don't see how Arsenal could have operated at such a high level for the last 2 decades in this cesspit of a sport while being the only clean in the village.

Maybe Wenger doesn't operate it himself or maybe he's a jv, pretending to keep his distance. But someone like Alexis, who's just come over from dopingstan and continues to be tip top at all the physical attributes like speed, strength and stamina, given what wr know about doping in football, it's difficult to but into arsenal as this anti doping island.

No Frenchman ever tarnished his reputation by accusing the Spanish of doping. The no-go area is the Anglos hence Armstrong and now UK Postal.

buckle said:
The Hitch said:
GuyIncognito said:

No Frenchman ever tarnished his reputation by accusing the Spanish of doping. The no-go area is the Anglos hence Armstrong and now UK Postal.

Huh?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

The Hitch said:
GuyIncognito said:

was not that about the really skilful small player, skinny, he was about 17 when he crossed to Red Devils circa 2003, he showed glimpses for about 3 or 4 years, then he went back to either Barca or Real Madrid. He would be about 32 or 33 now.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

The Hitch said:

once you have built the engine and chassis, then you just need a little cortico and some testo.

and these new peptides that pique your own pituitary to produce your own/endogenous testo/hgh

just add cortisone, which is TUE. so easy. I should be a doping doctor

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

The Hitch said:
buckle said:
The Hitch said:
GuyIncognito said:

Huh?

Hitch is right. The still can do holier than thou.

But the thing about cycling is, they run a tightrope, they cannot destroy cycling and the Tour, and Amaury Sport.

they are hamstrung and handcuffed. The would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

so you need to see all the French perspective thru this lens

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

The Hitch said:
GuyIncognito said:

I meant Cesc Fàbregas

Fabregas_1496696a.jpg

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
You might have heard of the doping suspicions around Helenio Herrera's Inter side in '60's. Former player, Sandro Mazzola has spoken about it.

However, the diet also extended to suspicions of doping.

“It’s true. At a certain point I started to feel very dizzy on the pitch. I went to the doctor, who gave me a series of tests and said I had to stop, as I had serious problems and would be out for at least six months.

“Herrera didn’t want that. I don’t know what was going on exactly, but before the game they always gave us a cup of coffee. I don’t know what was in it.

“I remember one of my teammates, Szymaniak, asked if I took simpamine (a mild form of amphetamine, ndr). I didn’t know what it was, but there was something strange going on, that is true.”

http://www.football-italia.net/75438/mazzola-suspected-inter-doping

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Sandro Mazzola's own brother Ferrucio was a bit more specific about this. He accused Inter & Herrera of doping him, said new concoctions were tried out on reserve players such as him before being applied to senior players. It caused a rift between the two brothers, who barely spoke to each other for years after that.

See also Toni Schumacher's accusations in his autobiography Anpfiff. "dope is something of a tradition in the Bundesliga" Schumacher said. And that was nearly 30 years ago, before PEDs got sophisticated!

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what is going on at Chelsea at the moment. It's like all their doctors have gone on strike. The team has collectively gone from having the best fitness around to becoming mediocre overnight, like a reverse team sky.

Re:

the sceptic said:
I wonder what is going on at Chelsea at the moment. It's like all their doctors have gone on strike. The team has collectively gone from having the best fitness around to becoming mediocre overnight, like a reverse team sky.

Russia? The supply has been cut with the WADA investigation.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

the sceptic said:

Did you even watch the Stoke game?

EDIT: To add to Vitaly Mutko's involvement in football, he is also president of the Russian FA.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Wenger has already said that Arsenal were unfairly beaten in the Champions League this season by a "doped" opponent following news that the Dinamo Zagreb midfielder, Arijan Ademi, failed a drugs test after the game.

Uefa are still investigating Ademi’s ‘B’ sample before ruling on the case – and a hearing has been set for Nov 19 – but Wenger believes that there is a wider issue in football.

In an interview for L’Equipe, he said. “I try to be faithful to the values that I believe to be important in life and to pass them on to others. In 30 years as a manager, I’ve never had my players injected to make them better. I never gave them any product that would help enhance their performance. I’m proud of that. I’ve played against many teams that weren’t in that frame of mind.

“For me, the beauty of sport is that everyone wants to win, but there will only be one winner. We have reached an era in which we glorify the winner, without looking at the means or the method. And, 10 years later we realise the guy was a cheat. And during that time, the one that came second suffered. He didn’t get recognition. And, with all that’s been said about them, they can be very unhappy.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11987053/Arsenal-news-Arsene-Wenger-claims-football-has-widespread-doping-problem.html

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Re:

the sceptic said:

Could this have something to do with it? If I were a doctor for that club, I'd at least doubt if I'd be willing to 'help' a club if that could be the result.

HSNHSN said:
the sceptic said:

Could this have something to do with it? If I were a doctor for that club, I'd at least doubt if I'd be willing to 'help' a club if that could be the result.

Perhaps afraid she might talk, they are on pan e acqua?

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
PK saves the day... :rolleyes:

Seen his tweet.

Read the book long ago. He doesn't have to speak to him, it was asked by journalists long ago at the time. Maybe as a journalist he should actually try and do it himself. He's at a press conference every Thursday and Friday in London Colney if he wishes to do so. Not hard to find him.

Plenty of other ex-players and journalists have written about this period when Wenger came, Wright, Bergkamp, Adams, Dixon, Seaman in autobiographies and so have journalists like John Cross and Amy Lawrence. Gary Lewin has spoken about it.

Arsenal were users of creatine, and used to to leave minerals and vitamins which were optional for players. This is well-known.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
What do you think of Alexis Sanchez gooner? Was at a doping factory in Barcelona, now moves to "clean" arsenal but is physically making a mockery of the premier league.

Maybe it's because he's practically the main man at Arsenal and not just another player at Barca supplementing Messi. The same can be said for Henry coming from a doping club at Juve. Not everything can be solely judged from a doping perspective. Plenty of other players have gone the other way like Overmars, Petit, Hleb and they were shadows of their former selves. Were they supposed to be on the juice at Arsenal and off it at Barca? There's more to judging players varying performances at a club than just simply seeing it on doping alone. There's differing reasons for those three players just mentioned.

That being said, I was speaking in terms of Wenger's position. I'm not stupid enough to suggest every player during the Wenger era was 100% clean. That's the case no matter how vehemently anti-doping Wenger would be.

TRENDING THREADS