• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Soccer/Football

Page 92 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We're in the dying days of the second decade of the twenty-first century and the English FA are still allowed to hand out secret stints on the naughty step? Former Irish international Daryl Murphy, currently with Bolton, Dr Freeman's alma mater, was banned for six weeks last year while with Notts Forest:
"Firstly, I would like to stress that the taking of recreational drugs is something that I don't condone whatsoever," Murphy said. "I served a suspension at the beginning of last season for making a bad decision while on a night out. This was an isolated incident which happened out of competition when we had no game. I immediately regretted it. I am not proud of what I did but it’s something I have put behind me as I want to concentrate on my football career."
Murphy was not named at the time due to the FA's policy of not naming players who've failed drug tests. He served his ban in secret and did not play for Forest for a two month span between 6 October and 8 December 2018.

Edit: Ooops - forgot the link: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/201...urphy-reveals-he-secretly-served-cocaine-ban/

Last edited:
Some of the FA's rules relating to public disclosure:
2.10 In the event of an Anti-Doping Rule Violation being determined by a final decision in disciplinary proceedings, including any appeal proceedings, The Association shall make Public Disclosure by publishing on its website the details of the decision, including the Anti-Doping Rule Violation, the name of the Participant who committed the violation, the Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method involved (where applicable), and the penalty imposed. Where the final decision is that no Anti-Doping Rule Violation has been committed, the decision may only be Publicly Disclosed, whether in its entirety or in redacted form, with the consent of the Participant. The Association shall use reasonable efforts to obtain such consent. Public Disclosure on The Association’s website of any decision pursuant to this paragraph 2.10 shall be for the longer of either one month or the duration of any suspension imposed on the Participant.

2.11 The mandatory requirement to make Public Disclosure of decisions contained in paragraph 2.10 shall not apply where the Participant who has committed an Anti-Doping Rule Violation is a Minor, or in the case of decisions finding Misconduct contrary to any of Regulations 14-17. Any publication by The Association in relation to such cases will be entirely at its discretion.

2.12 Notwithstanding paragraph 2.10, the Regulatory Commission or Appeal Board may order that some or all of the text of any decision it reaches in an anti-doping case may not be published, where there are compelling reasons not to publish. In such cases, only the outcome may be published.

36. In disciplinary proceedings brought pursuant to these Regulations, if it is found that an Anti-Doping Rule Violation has been committed, a penalty shall be imposed in accordance with Parts Six and Seven of these Regulations. Unless the Participant establishes that there are grounds to eliminate or reduce such penalty in accordance with any applicable provision of Part Eight, the Regulatory Commission or Appeal Board shall have no discretion to reduce those penalties. Subject only to paragraph 2.11 of Schedule 1 to these Anti-Doping Regulations, a mandatory element of each penalty for an Anti-Doping Rule Violation is the Public Disclosure of that penalty.

It is remarkable, specially if one makes (a rather logical looking) assumption that all teams at the top end of the game are on some sort of program. Even the City team that dominated last two seasons, had difficulties with the december schedule and looked somewhat rattled and tired (at least compared to their own standards) during that month in those years. Liverpool players ,on the other hand, look like the season started just a month ago.

Speaking of doping in football, one picture of Adama Traore I saw on a football forum is quite telling. Having to drag that amount of muscle around for 90+ minutes without gassing out long before the end tells all one needs to know on the topic.

EMWz0c6W4AA4I2v.jpg

Jan 12, 2020
Visit site
Mourinho on Liverpool under Klopp

“They play 200 miles per hour with and without the ball. I am still tired just looking at [ANDY]Robertson. He makes 100-metre sprints every minute, absolutely incredible, and these are qualities.”

Somebody has been at the “qualities”?

Reactions: The Hitch
Onana banned for 12 months

The disciplinary body of the European football association, UEFA, has imposed a suspension of 12 months on Andre Onana for a doping violation. After an "out of competition" check on October 30 last year, the goalkeeper found the substance Furosemide in his urine. The suspension is effective from today and applies to all football activities, both national and international.

On the morning of October 30, Onana was feeling unwell. He wanted to take a pill to ease the discomfort. Unknowingly, however, he took Lasimac, a drug that his wife had previously been prescribed. Onana’s confusion resulted in him mistakenly taking his wife's medicine, ultimately causing this measure to be taken by UEFA against the goalkeeper. Furthermore, the disciplinary body of the football association has stated that Onana had no intention of cheating. However, the European Football Association believes, on the basis of the applicable anti-doping rules, that an athlete has a duty at all times to ensure that no banned substances enter the body.

Onana and Ajax will appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Managing director Edwin van der Sar: “We explicitly renounce performance-enhancing drugs, we obviously stand for a clean sport. This is a terrible setback, for Andre himself but certainly also for us as a club. Andre is a top goalkeeper, who has proven his worth for Ajax for years and is very popular with the fans. We had hoped for a conditional suspension or for a suspension much shorter than these twelve months, because it was arguably not intended to strengthen his body and thus improve his performance

Classic case of man feels ill so accidentally takes his partners diuretic to treat it.

Interesting if CAS uphold.

UEFA taking the chance to look tough while saying they don't think he intended to cheat lol

Remarkably the victorious Italian Euro 2020 squad flew home to a base near Florence after their London semi-final - knowing they had a final in the same stadium five days later.
I thought coaches/managers of football teams hate travel/flights, in fact they are always moaning about it.
What was so important about flying to Italy and back when all the training facilities and accommodation they could possibly want are in England?
This has not been debated at all and is highly suspicious in my opinion.
There must have been something very special about those days near Florence to offset the two flights.
Maybe it was not only the aeroplanes that were 'refuelling'.

Remarkably the victorious Italian Euro 2020 squad flew home to a base near Florence after their London semi-final - knowing they had a final in the same stadium five days later.
I thought coaches/managers of football teams hate travel/flights, in fact they are always moaning about it.
What was so important about flying to Italy and back when all the training facilities and accommodation they could possibly want are in England?
There must have been something very special about those days near Florence to offset the two flights.

Breaking News: Men fly home from holiday

Maybe they just didn’t want to spend 5 days in England.

TRENDING THREADS