• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in XC skiing

Page 105 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 16, 2012
Visit site
the sceptic said:
man xc skiing is so boring now. Even the russians have become scared to dope.
Putin told them in front of the Russian Olympics that there would be no Russian dopers. And what Putin wants, Putin gets. And the Russian performances dropped as well. He should take over UCI.

Dazed and Confused said:
Get rid of Bjorgen and womens XC might be watchable again. Maybe.

How much will Bjoergen win by? Any takers? I have her winning by 6:35. She'll set the best time up Alpe Cermis, beating Johaug by 2 minutes. The mass start she'll lap half of the field. Oh, to be blatantly cheating and knowing you won't get busted for it.

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Get rid of Bjorgen and womens XC might be watchable again. Maybe.
Or make her (and only her) wear a weighted back pack like they do in Birkebeinerrennet. She'd still win, but at least the races would be a bit more interesting.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
TomasC said:
Good statistics for the recent discussion between LS and Kokoso which I feel ended somewhat prematurely ;) and maybe can continue with new information.

Veronika Vitkova improved her speed by 2,6% relatively to the median of the skiers, Tiril Eckhoff by 2,5%. Very similar progress. From the big names, Dorothea Wierer is the biggest improver (-3,1%).

I like Wierer, i know her personally and 6 years ago i used to have a huge crush on her:D but you can't deny that such a huge improvement in a relative short time is questionable.
She also visited the Sportoberschule Mals, a special highschool for young athletes, and I've heard many stories about 15, 16 year old kids that started doping durning their time at the Sportoberschule.

Bjoergen performs like she's the only one getting blood bags on a daily basis...
Johaug lost a lot of level relative to her since the beginning of the season. A whole many per cents.

And if Brits are clean, all of the men can be. Musgrave had the quickest 25km pursuit time. Had Magnificat do some donky work for him, but Northug had 3 top men all the way around.
I am used to Musgrave losing time at the end of a race, but he had the fastest start, and finish. Moving up 10 places 21->11 in a pursuit this deep into a TdS is quite something.

Lately I wonder about athletes living abroad "to train". It seems they need fewer surprise OOC tests to trip up. But each test is so much more expensive for the national anti-doping agency.
For instance, is Norwegian anti-doping actively working with Austrian partners to have Bjoerndalen tested as much as the legend deserves? Austria won't spend their own resources at it for the sake of clean sport.
I can't imagine Austria has many athletes residing in Norway for the Norwegians to exchange tests with.

Mayomaniac said:
I like Wierer, i know her personally and 6 years ago i used to have a huge crush on her:D but you can't deny that such a huge improvement in a relative short time is questionable.
She also visited the Sportoberschule Mals, a special highschool for young athletes, and I've heard many stories about 15, 16 year old kids that started doping durning their time at the Sportoberschule.

I actually did not post the statistics to paint those three as questionable. Several fast women ended their careers, had babies, are pregnant (Anastasia Kuzmina announced yesterday) so I don't necessarily think doping has to be involved (although it may well be of course).
Nevertheless, if you can share some gossip about Dorothea, please do so! :)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Kowalczyk on her doping case and the doping in general
(published in polish few days ago... google yields an ok version)

Too high a price
http://ekstra.sport.pl/ekstra/1,142...port_pl_Ekstra__Cena__ktorej.html#indeks_news

key points are:
--claims strong anti-doping commitment
--speaks strongly against ANY athletes therapeutic use exemptions
(a transparent hint at bjoergen and the norwegians in general she spoke up strongly about before)
--gives an example of dope-related birth defects

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
TomasC said:
I actually did not post the statistics to paint those three as questionable. Several fast women ended their careers, had babies, are pregnant (Anastasia Kuzmina announced yesterday) so I don't necessarily think doping has to be involved (although it may well be of course).
Nevertheless, if you can share some gossip about Dorothea, please do so! :)

Sorry, I only know that the Sportoberschule Mals is shady as hell.
I've talked with a few former students and they've told me that doping is pretty normal among the top students, many of them start doping at age 15.

Mayomaniac said:
Sorry, I only know that the Sportoberschule Mals is shady as hell.
I've talked with a few former students and they've told me that doping is pretty normal among the top students, many of them start doping at age 15.

If true, it's no point to look at junior performances of students to analyse progression.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Biathlon:

IBU president: Sevral/more than one positives from sevral/more than one nations (from retests), they will be named (probably) next week in a press release

http://www.nrk.no/sport/besseberg_-_-vi-har-positive-dopingprover-1.12142961 (Norw)

He is saying more or less the same as what was said by IBU in the press realse from Dec. 21, (except he gives an aprox. date for when the names will released). For some other reason this has not been (much) mentioned by the Norwegian press before.

Besseberg has also given an interview to VG.
- What type of drugs are we talking about?

- It may be that athletes have used such small amounts of the substance, that it has not previously been possible to demonstrate. All I can say is that we are talking about one of the newer types EPO.

The samples have been retested, they have been stored, but has been taken up again when laboratories have found them suspicious. Besseberg would not say which laboratory has been used.

http://www.vg.no/sport/doping/flere-skiskyttere-doptatt/a/23371672/

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
why would anyone be doping when they could be doing this cleans
NOR
BJOERGEN Marit 1980 NOR 2:01:17.1
NOR
WENG Heidi 1991 NOR 2:03:28.3
NOR
JOHAUG Therese 1988 NOR 2:04:07.4
NOR
HAGA Ragnhild 1991 NOR 2:08:04.2
POL
KOWALCZYK Justyna 1983 POL 2:08:19.9

So basically: people that are currently racing won't be the ones, you'd wager. The key bit of interest is that there is more than one country involved. Since we felt fairly confident the November ban was Loginov's, this means that it is therefore unlikely that the December ban is a Russian unless we're talking about there being two unknown suspensions in effect. People taking the season out would have to feature for the former one, but most of them are explained in clear non-doping reasons; Vita Semerenko has herniated discs in her spine, Anastasiya Kuzmina is pregnant, as is Selina Gasparin. The only "unexplained" year break is Vilukhina's, but if we're dealing with more than one nation, she would be unlikely if Loginov is one, unless there are more cases that we don't know about yet.

May 16, 2012
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
How much will Bjoergen win by? Any takers? I have her winning by 6:35. She'll set the best time up Alpe Cermis, beating Johaug by 2 minutes. The mass start she'll lap half of the field. Oh, to be blatantly cheating and knowing you won't get busted for it.

Nah, she got what she needs now to win it but I guess she win it by a minute or so. She will lose time up Alpe Cermis for sure.

It’s kind of hard to keep up the interest in XC-skiing with especially Bjorgen – juiced or clean – being more dominant than even the worst dopers in the history of endurance sports.
One remark.
Throughout the discussion the Scandinavian commentators in general and especially the Norwegians have made a huge point in that the culture in the Norwegian society against doping is so strong that it makes any kind of systematic doping unthinkable. Well, I kind of agree.
But remember the following, the public opinion against drinking and driving is equally strong. Despite this, the Norwegian winner of Tour de ski and the runner up have both been convicted of drunken driving after crashing their cars, It might say something about how this persons look upon themselves, head and shoulders above laws and the rest of the society.

When Johnsrud Sundby talked about Armstrong in the following article: http://www.nrk.no/sport/sundby_-_-lance-er-fortsatt-stor-1.8356314 many of us choked over this comment.
For meg vil Lance alltid være en stor helt. Han er jo den beste av de som, hvis han var dopet, dopet seg på den tiden. Man kan jo bare se på resultatlistene. Samtlige av de som var rundt ham var jo skamdopa på den tiden de også, sier Martin Johnsrud Sundby til NRK.no.
Another curious episode is this article: http://www.langrenn.com/johnsrud-sundby-imponert-over-treningsviljen-til-russerne.4811779-1743.html where Johnsrud Sundby talks about his training partner Pankratov and how impressed he is with the training regime of the Russians. Just a couple of weeks after the interview Pankratov, was caught with a bag full of doping equipment and banned from competition.

roundabout said:
Sednev is one and he "suddenly" retired in December

http://www.tv2.no/2015/01/11/sport/6437974

Italian press dates the positive to 22/1/2013.

Two weeks before the 2013 World Championships in Nové Město.

There were quite a few rumblings about the Ukrainian women's team at those championships, with Pidhrushna and the Semerenko twins taking home many medals, but the men were pretty nondescript.