• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in XC skiing

Page 162 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Discgear said:
dukoff said:
Right, you post no evidence for your claim to hold water, and ask me to verify what I've already proven.. Very masculine. Let's leave it there then.
Sorry, you haven't proven that the "Indian" version is still not available. You only have proved it was manufactured by Pharmacia Upjohn up to the merger with Pfizer in 2003. Which happens to be the same year when Bendiksen left Pfizer. In 2004 he was team doctor of the football team HamKam, when the first steroid doping scandal in Norway emerged when one of "his" player got caught.

Now speculation, in a try to live up to your prerequisites being masculine: :rolleyes:

Bendiksen could have kept old drugs in his possession. I've met MDs with highly interesting coolers in their homes. If Bendiksen is a shady figure, theres hardly no scenarios that could be excluded.

But even if Bendiksen and Johaug were not aware of the "India" version it's really not significant for the cover up scenario. If they were worried that a postive on clostebol might come up in the test , the wise thing would be to wright down the drug Trofedormin beforehand of the test.
To ask such a question is straight out forum-trolling. It's your idea, hence you should prove it's validity. Though you haven't done it, I proved the validity of your information and manufacturer is 13 years expired. Neither can one prove 100% a negative, as you asked, that something is not in existence. You can easily prove a positive, again, your responsibility.

Your idea is he keeps a bag of 13 year old expired creams dragging around.. Right.. You believe yourself, or you're incapable of reversing an inch on a single argument? I'm sorry if that's difficult for you. If it's deliberate, it's just trolling.

dukoff said:
Discgear said:
dukoff said:
Right, you post no evidence for your claim to hold water, and ask me to verify what I've already proven.. Very masculine. Let's leave it there then.
Sorry, you haven't proven that the "Indian" version is still not available. You only have proved it was manufactured by Pharmacia Upjohn up to the merger with Pfizer in 2003. Which happens to be the same year when Bendiksen left Pfizer. In 2004 he was team doctor of the football team HamKam, when the first steroid doping scandal in Norway emerged when one of "his" player got caught.

Now speculation, in a try to live up to your prerequisites being masculine: :rolleyes:

Bendiksen could have kept old drugs in his possession. I've met MDs with highly interesting coolers in their homes. If Bendiksen is a shady figure, theres hardly no scenarios that could be excluded.

But even if Bendiksen and Johaug were not aware of the "India" version it's really not significant for the cover up scenario. If they were worried that a postive on clostebol might come up in the test , the wise thing would be to wright down the drug Trofedormin beforehand of the test.
To ask such a question is straight out forum-trolling. It's your idea, hence you should prove it's validity. Though you haven't done it, I proved the validity of your information and manufacturer is 13 years expired. Neither can one prove 100% a negative, as you asked, that something is not in existence. You can easily prove a positive, again, your responsibility.

Your idea is he keeps a bag of 13 year old expired creams dragging around.. Right.. You believe yourself, or you're incapable of reversing an inch on a single argument? I'm sorry if that's difficult for you. If it's deliberate, it's just trolling.

Okay, let's make it clear for you and I'll rephrase the last post so you could go on with more brilliant defense of NSF official versions:

Thank's, you have proven that the "Indian" version is no longer available. You have proved it was manufactured by Pharmacia Upjohn up to the merger with Pfizer in 2003. Which happens to be the same year when Bendiksen left Pfizer. In 2004 he was team doctor of the football team HamKam, when the first steroid doping scandal in Norway emerged when one of "his" player got caught.

I will not go into further speculation, even if it means I can't live up to your prerequisites being masculine: :rolleyes:

But even if Bendiksen and Johaug were not aware of the "India" version it's really not significant for the cover up scenario. If they were worried that a postive on clostebol might come up in the test , the wise thing would be to wright down the drug Trofodermin beforehand of the test.

python said:
Discgear said:
Today’s read http://www.vg.no/sport/langrenn/martin-johnsrud-sundby/vg-har-snakket-med-13-loepere-paa-langrennslandslaget-syv-av-dem-har-astma-minst-9-bruker-forstoeverapparat/a/23830058/

Kvinnelandslaget (Norway, female XC-team):

Kari Øyre Slind
Astma: Nei. (Asthma: No)
Bruker forstøverapparat: Nei. (Use of Nebulizer: No)

Maiken Caspersen Falla
Astma: Ja. (Asthma: Yes)
Bruker forstøverapparat: Ja. I trening og konkurranse. (Use of Nebulizer: Yes, in traing and in competition)

Astrid Uhrenholdt Jacobsen
Bruker forstøverapparat: Hvordan jeg behandler min astma er en sak mellom meg og helseteamet. (Use of Nebulizer: How I treat my asthma is between me and my doctor)

Ragnhild Haga
Bruker forstøverapparat: Ja. (Use of Nebulizer: Yes)

Ingvild Flugstad Østberg
Bruker forstøverapparat: Ja. (Use of Nebulizer: Yes)

Marit Bjørgen
Bruker forstøverapparat: Ja, har brukt saltvann på forstøverapparat. Bruker astmamedisin bare på spray. (Use of Nebulizer: Yes, with salt water. Asthma medication just with spray)

* Therese Johaug og Heidi Weng - ikke snakket med. (We haven’t talked to Johaug and Weng)

But we know from this article https://www.nrk.no/sport/langrennsjentene-reagerer-kraftig-pa-dopingmistanker-1.13121394 that Heidi Weng has astma and that Johaug hasn’t. But that Johaug is treated with asthma medication at times.
So Kari Øyre Slind is the only one that neither has asthma nor is treated with asthma medication. On the other hand she did her first season last year and only a few races.
everyone is focusing on astma, and we should after the sundby abuses, but virtually no one, at least the main stream media, payed any attention to another seriously cheating quality of the main asthma drug - the salbutamol.

it is explicitly listed inder the S5. Diuretics and Masking Agents

the use of diuretics is a rule of thumb to accompany the illicit steroids...having a tue for a diuretic is a ticket to another 'gray area' that's virtually ignored. i did raise the issue at least once before...

@bullfan
you can ignore the russians in the asthma stat. i posted earlier, if memory serves, they have a total of around 20 asthma tue satisfied applications for ALL (i mean ALL) olympic sports. for ex, btwn all their national teams (man, ladies, juniors u23..) the norges probably have about as much just in the xc skiing)

Yes, I do remember you saying that about the TUE applications. I know it shouldn't be my business, but I am very interested to see the TUE's and when they were applied/given!

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Discgear said:
Thank's, you have proven that the "Indian" version is no longer available. You have proved it was manufactured by Pharmacia Upjohn up to the merger with Pfizer in 2003.
Great! Now that wasn't so hard was it?
Next time try to do it on own initiative. It feels good to be honest too, I'll promise.

sida-mot said:
dukoff said:
sida_mot said:
If not: yes I expect the doctors in that position to bother to shift their wrists back and forth a few times to check the package. I also kind of assume the cream was placed with the front facing the customer. :rolleyes:
So you expect, after flipping medicine boxes for 30+ years, not finding anything, he's still gonna keep flipping it, despite having all the information he is looking for in big letters on the front? Very realistic..

Certainly he might have, but it has a probability, and shouldn't be dramatically in any particular favor.
Are you suggesting he had handled this medicine box for 30 years or are you implying that he would have a mindset of "every medicine is the same, I have seen them all already"?

Combining your two statements can now be summarized to "He might not had seen the front since the packs have sides and he wouldn't wanna turn to look since all the info was on the front." :confused:

To me it's very doubtful he ever saw the box but if you are hell bent on believing the official version then a prize tag over the doping mark is way more likely.

You're welcome! That's way more plausible than the 12-sides-argument.
Unfortunately for Johaug and Dukoff that theory was debunked tonight by vg.no. The Parafarmacia in Livigno doesn't use price tags. Further on, the pharmacist said she couldn't believe how anyone could miss the doping warning since it is clearly marked on all packages. She can't confirm that Bendiksen visited the store. I guess Dukoff have to stick to the twelve sided theory. :D

dukoff said:
Discgear said:
Thank's, you have proven that the "Indian" version is no longer available. You have proved it was manufactured by Pharmacia Upjohn up to the merger with Pfizer in 2003.
Great! Now that wasn't so hard was it?
Next time try to do it on own initiative. It feels good to be honest too, I'll promise.
By the way. Here you could order the India version online:
https://www.medidart.com/products/TROFODERMIN-CREAM-10GM1.html
Hence, the bolded part is false. Trofodermin, truly the perfect scape goat.
But since it's not significant for the cover up theory, I won't spend more time on this issue.

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site

dukoff said:
It feels good to be honest too, I'll promise.
How would you know? Only truth you shared is that a box have six sides...

If you start questioning peoples masculinity. If you start attacking others sense of logic reasoning or capability of objectivity. If you cherry pick long posts and focus on one detail that might not be fully proven. If you start changing peoples posts in your qoutes for no other reason then to aggrevate them...

If you have done that, then you should realise that you are the troll, you have lost the arguments, people have stopped paying attention to your posts.

I acknowledge you insight and expertise (well in this community) about Norwegian ski racing but when you resort to tactics like the ones I listed above I find it very hard to take you seriously.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
dukoff said:
Tubeless said:
9. Why was the #1 female skier in the world (and suspiciously superior to others) not tested by ADN for over 4 months?
9: This fact is actually in strong support for Johaug or anyone with equal history. The fact that an athlete is tested less according to the doping agencies strategies indicates that her historic profile and markers are clean and bears no suspicion. Athletes bragging about being tested more often than their piers are indeed saying they are targeted and balancing on a limit. Legkov says he's tested 30+ times a year? I have nothing to say on him, it may be reasoned also by the profiles of his team mates or other history, but it's not really an argument of being clean. The best would really be average testing-intervals, over time of course, as the unpredictability is an important tool too.
That's a convenient explanation in the absence of any proof. To anyone outside of Norway, this is an another data point to suspect that there's tacit (or explicit) cooperation between ADNO and NSF. It looks equally bad that Bjorgen was given 7 months of "recovery" time to come up to speed after getting back to training. Another "grey" area - to assist the athlete to get back to level playing field after a child birth?

And with the benefit of hindsight, ADNO not testing Johaug for 4+ months makes a bad PR situation for Norway's skiing just worse. Johaug should have been on a frequent testing schedule for the following reasons:

1. She's the #1 skier in the world
- In other nations it's customary that the leaders get tested regularly
- Those of us who've followed cycling over the years know the winners are the most likely dopers
- The credibility of the anti-doping system depends on regular testing of the top athletes
- If you were Kowalczyk or Kalla or Niskanen, how would you feel about the fairness of the testing regime?

2. Last season she was suspiciously superior over her competitors, winning with huge margins:
- By 3.5% at the 15km skiathlon in Lillehammer on December 5, 2015
- By 3.3% at the 15km freestyle in Davos on December 12, 2015
- By 4.4% at the 30km classic in Oslo on February 7, 2016
- Last time such margins were seen during the wild 1990's with EPO and no Hb limits

3. Her 2015-2016 sprint results improved surprisingly since the 2014-2015 season
- Top sprint qualification in 2015 WC: 11th
- Top sprint qualification in 2016 WC: 3rd

4. Her physique had changed dramatically over the last couple of years
- She used to be a skinny girl, having trouble eating enough to gain much-needed strength
- Quite a change from 2010 to 2016:

Johaug_2010.jpg

Johaug_2016.png

All of this fit the theory that she had been on a steroid-based training regime for some time. The positive test was an "accident", it was never supposed to have happened. One thing Norway should learn from other similar PR crisis - the cover-up is almost always worse than the crime.

Discgear said:
sida-mot said:
dukoff said:
sida_mot said:
If not: yes I expect the doctors in that position to bother to shift their wrists back and forth a few times to check the package. I also kind of assume the cream was placed with the front facing the customer. :rolleyes:
So you expect, after flipping medicine boxes for 30+ years, not finding anything, he's still gonna keep flipping it, despite having all the information he is looking for in big letters on the front? Very realistic..

Certainly he might have, but it has a probability, and shouldn't be dramatically in any particular favor.
Are you suggesting he had handled this medicine box for 30 years or are you implying that he would have a mindset of "every medicine is the same, I have seen them all already"?

Combining your two statements can now be summarized to "He might not had seen the front since the packs have sides and he wouldn't wanna turn to look since all the info was on the front." :confused:

To me it's very doubtful he ever saw the box but if you are hell bent on believing the official version then a prize tag over the doping mark is way more likely.

You're welcome! That's way more plausible than the 12-sides-argument.
Unfortunately for Johaug and Dukoff that theory was debunked tonight by vg.no. The Parafarmacia in Livigno doesn't use price tags. Further on, the pharmacist said she couldn't believe how anyone could miss the doping warning since it is clearly marked on all packages. She can't confirm that Bendiksen visited the store. I guess Dukoff have to stick to the twelve sided theory. :D

Well that is not a surprise and we all knew that this was the case. But it is completely possible that doctor with 30 years of experience, buying stuff which is not available in his own country, does not read the full package of medicine he has been offered (because he apparently did not ask for it) by foreign local drug store clerk and that he plans to give to worlds best XC skier. BUT he did though manage to retain the credit card receipt of the purchase for more than a month. Very plausible if you ask NSF and Dukoff.

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Great logic!
A good discussion can be had if one are interested to analyse things.
But it's of course much easier to rant out over single elements separately.
As long as you don't attempt to fit together a complete review of all facts, you'll be doing very well with your conclusions.
:)

Re:

dukoff said:
Great logic!
A good discussion can be had if one are interested to analyse things.
But it's of course much easier to rant out over single elements separately.
As long as you don't attempt to fit together a complete review of all facts, you'll be doing very well with your conclusions.
:)

I agree, as I'm not really interested either to discuss with someone who thinks that everything NSF says is facts and only facts.

Can you please start and pull together a complete review of all "facts" as you see them and not just pick single item of everyones posts to comment and rant so that we can discuss the complete matter?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
this is a 'must-read'. they basically point to what discgear was pounding on for days...
http://www.vg.no/sport/langrenn/therese-johaug/johaug-saken-timene-som-endret-norsk-skihistorie/a/23827520/

vg.no measured it is 125 m from the hotel to the pharmacy where the claimed trofodermin was bought, a walk that should take about 1.5 min.

it took between thursday and saturday for our good doctor to travel the 125 m, while poor therese was in pain, beeding etc (her own words from the press conf)

many more interesting details like an interview with the pharmacy owner, the hotel official, surveillance camera, a day-by-day analysis etc

now i don't know who is a bigger liar - the little poor therese or the old bag doc ?

oh, and therese is going to have a 2nd pres conf. today...will we hear more lies or some tearful admissions ?

i bet not on the latter.

Re:

python said:
this is a 'must-read'. they basically point to what discgear was pounding on for days...
http://www.vg.no/sport/langrenn/therese-johaug/johaug-saken-timene-som-endret-norsk-skihistorie/a/23827520/

vg.no measured it is 125 m from the hotel to the pharmacy where the claimed trofodermin was bought, a walk that should take about 1.5 min.

it took between thursday and saturday for our good doctor to travel the 125 m, while poor therese was in pain, beeding etc (her own words from the press conf)

many more interesting details like an interview with the pharmacy owner, the hotel official, surveillance camera, a day-by-day analysis etc

now i don't know who is a bigger liar - the little poor therese or the old bag doc ?

oh, and therese is going to have a 2nd pres conf. today...will we hear more lies or some tearful admissions ?

i bet not on the latter.

The press conference today was more or less non-event, lot of fishing of symphaty. She apparentely cannot understand why there are lot of people that don't believe her story and it makes her sad.

She did also tell about days before Bendiksen arrived to Livigno. Apparently she had diarea, headache etc. caused by sunstroke that she got end of August. Not sure what the real purpose of coming out with such information now is, but to me it definitely sounds like well developed explanation to the question if Bendiksen really had to fly to Livigno just to treath Therese's sunburned lips.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

bambino said:
python said:

i bet not on the latter.

The press conference today was more or less non-event, lot of fishing of symphaty. She apparentely cannot understand why there are lot of people that don't believe her story and it makes her sad.

She did also tell about days before Bendiksen arrived to Livigno. Apparently she had diarea, headache etc. caused by sunstroke that she got end of August. Not sure what the real purpose of coming out with such information now is, but to me it definitely sounds like well developed explanation to the question if Bendiksen really had to fly to Livigno just to treath Therese's sunburned lips.
yep, those were the only new information...not sure myself why, seems they a building a poor health story where a poisoning or her compromised immune system may have caused the good doc to experiment with a cream she normally would have used (terra-cortril). i am just speculating. she also EXPLICITLY stated she did not have the need to google clostebol. to me she keeps digging a pit that will take her 24 months to climb out of. at least.

python said:
bambino said:
python said:

i bet not on the latter.

yep, those were the only new information...not sure myself why, seems they a building a poor health story where a poisoning or her compromised immune system may have caused the good doc to experiment with a cream she normally would have used (terra-cortril). i am just speculating. she also EXPLICITLY stated she did not have the need to google clostebol. to me she keeps digging a pit that will take her 24 months to climb out of. at least.

I missed the Google piece, did she say it because she trusted the good doc 100% or because she knows what it is? Agree your last comment btw.

One thing is unclear to me... was she training alone in Livigno or was there training camp of Norwegian skiers ongoing? Just wonder if there were no other team doctors in Italy if the team was there?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

bambino said:
I missed the Google piece, did she say it because she trusted the good doc 100% or because she knows what it is? Agree your last comment btw.
(midpage)
http://www.vg.no/sport/langrenn/therese-johaug/johaug-bryter-tausheten-gir-blaffen-i-kowalczyk-stikk/a/23831745/
– Burde du ha sjekket salven på Google?

– Jeg hadde ingen grunn til å «google», svarer Johaug.

– Så du varselmerket?

– Jeg vet ikke om varseltrekanten var på esken eller ikke. Det vet jeg ikke. Jeg fikk den, tok den med på rommet og kastet vedlegget. Jeg så heller ikke at det sto Clostebol på tuben, svarer hun.

re. livigno, i seem to recall it was an altitude camp they go to every year this time..

python said:
bambino said:
(midpage)
http://www.vg.no/sport/langrenn/therese-johaug/johaug-bryter-tausheten-gir-blaffen-i-kowalczyk-stikk/a/23831745/

– Så du varselmerket?

– Jeg vet ikke om varseltrekanten var på esken eller ikke. Det vet jeg ikke. Jeg fikk den, tok den med på rommet og kastet vedlegget. Jeg så heller ikke at det sto Clostebol på tuben, svarer hun.

re. livigno, i seem to recall it was an altitude camp they go to every year this time..

Ok thanks. I would assume world biggest XC team has doctors in altitude camp? So why did she need spesifically Bendiksen to fly over from Norway? Her problems doesn't exactly require high profile specialist for the diagnose.

Any insights who commissioned the out of competition test, and where the analysis was done? Who decides where analysis is done, the commissioning party? Was this an unexpectedly succesfull FIS ploy to regain credibility in all matters Norge?

If Johaug is now tearing up over how terribly bedridden she wasfrom her sun burnt lips...did she relay that story to her ADA, nation fedation and FIS earlier also, and are those reports nicely aligned? Even if you can conceivve to be so stupid as to miss the doping warnings, would you double down and be so stupid to caugh up a half-assed explanation that is bound to raise more questions?
When their traditional FIS/ADA protection falls away, perhaps their well oiled operation shifts back to outright amateur hour. They've never pleaded any such case.

I'm such a fan of Johaug's skiing, but she's being a bad representative even of liars, let alone Olympians.

bambino said:
python said:
bambino said:
(midpage)

– Så du varselmerket?

Ok thanks. I would assume world biggest XC team has doctors in altitude camp? So why did she need spesifically Bendiksen to fly over from Norway? Her problems doesn't exactly require high profile specialist for the diagnose.

Exactly. And she's been on the national team for what, a good 9 years or so? The Norwegians have altitude/on snow camps at Livigno, Val Senales and sometimes in Ramsau, on more than one occasion every year. They go there in between races sometimes, particularly during championship seasons. For her to suddenly have not had the necessary medication for this lip problem is just bizarre. For the medical staff and Bendiksen not to be prepared, is bizarre. Like you said, she didn't need a dozen doctors there for surgery, she just needed someone to either tell her what to take from the pharmacy (if they have what she needed) or if someone was present, to go with her and help her out. None of this happened, or did it? Seems rather unbelievable for such an experienced athlete and even more experienced doctor/medical staff to forget all of this. If you know you have certain issues that need special attention and care, you'd make sure that you have everything at the ready. Nobody is perfect, things get omitted or forgotten, but this just seems like they are adding more to the sandcastle or jenga figure. That's not going to stay upright for too long.

Do I recall right that there were news which said Bendiksen only handed over the tube and not the full package to Johaug? Just asking because apparently she has said today that it was actually herself who threw the package and instruction to carpage, thus she did receive the full package (with the famous doping sign) from Bendiktsen.

Re:

Cloxxki said:
Any insights who commissioned the out of competition test, and where the analysis was done? Who decides where analysis is done, the commissioning party? Was this an unexpectedly succesfull FIS ploy to regain credibility in all matters Norge?

If Johaug is now tearing up over how terribly bedridden she wasfrom her sun burnt lips...did she relay that story to her ADA, nation fedation and FIS earlier also, and are those reports nicely aligned? Even if you can conceivve to be so stupid as to miss the doping warnings, would you double down and be so stupid to caugh up a half-assed explanation that is bound to raise more questions?
When their traditional FIS/ADA protection falls away, perhaps their well oiled operation shifts back to outright amateur hour. They've never pleaded any such case.

I'm such a fan of Johaug's skiing, but she's being a bad representative even of liars, let alone Olympians.

You'd have to go back to the earliest posts on this topic (two weeks ago) to find where/what/how on the actual test, but if I remember correctly, it was Anti Doping Norge that tested her. Where the sample(s) went...I am not 100%. I am assuming it went to ADN directly, or to the WADA labs themselves.