• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping Ring in Girona + responses to Tondo's revelation

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I ultimately took the post to mean that he understands some of where this 'forum' (such as you can generalise about it...) is coming from - because hey he's done put 1 and 1 together too.

I like him for his openness and the idealism of what he is trying achieve, regardless of the lawyerspeak - but I do wonder if he he as good a judge of character as he needs to be, and if that honesty and idealism leaves him open to...

And well, there is an also an element of MTFU (as they would say on a mountain bike forum) about that post, which reinforces that opinion.

Also, dope or no dope, the dude completely smoked Ventoux, and so will always have my respect.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
How do you know that the details that were provided aren't the "true" details?
White and Lowe have had ample time to tell their side of the story, that is, if they differ from Vaughters' but as far as I know they haven't said anything of substance to the contrary.

i would imagine if they are part of the omerta and they want to continue in the sport they will keep their mouths shut and also possibly their standing has risen with certain teams as being allegedly to be willing to 'play the game'.:)

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Interesting link

Was digging and found this. The whole article is interesting.

http://www.elperiodicodearagon.com/noticias/noticia.asp?pkid=649111 before google translate

"At least three pharmacies in the Principality of Andorra on its website show several drugs that are considered performance-enhancing drugs in sport. These drugs can easily reach Spain through the online sale of these facilities in the Principality"

How far is andorra from girona?

Have a good day

Dallas_ said:
Was digging and found this. The whole article is interesting.

http://www.elperiodicodearagon.com/noticias/noticia.asp?pkid=649111 before google translate

"At least three pharmacies in the Principality of Andorra on its website show several drugs that are considered performance-enhancing drugs in sport. These drugs can easily reach Spain through the online sale of these facilities in the Principality"

How far is andorra from girona?

Have a good day

Tour stage distance.

Dave.

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
I'm curious as to why JV felt the need to make this public pronouncement instead of privately apologizing to Tondo.

This also struck me as very odd and I am still trying to make sense of it. Unless I have missed something, I was not aware (and I presume it was not public knowledge) that Tondo had tried on several occasions to get onto the slipstream team, as such to publicly apologise does not make sense as the initial thread was not in the public forum. JV could have rang him up, said as much in private, then offered him a contract for next year.

Either this is JV writing to the outside world in lieu of seeing a high priced therapist or else it is a subtle (not so subtle) way of telling all those sceptical voices out there that...

"hey we are all human, but you should not connect the dots, because when I did I got it soooooo wrong, so if I can get it wrong, you might be wrong too".

..and that the Tondo news story is just a convenient time to have a go at the great unwashed mass of forum posters.

However if it is Tondo's actions that he is supporting, calling the police etc then a simple tweet such as "i admire XT's actions and would encourage all riders to follow his example...blah blah" - more direct.

Francois the Postman said:
There is nothing wrong with connecting the dots. It is what using your brain is all about. Nearly all thinking takes place based on imperfect information. The trick to reach sound conclusions is to know what the dots actually allow you to connect, and to keep remembering where the assumption took place, or what alternatives are technically still in play.

+10000

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Of course if riders didn't dope then fans might not connect the dots and come up with the right answer 99% of the time ;)

I'd really like Vaughters to define journalist - does he mean someone who gets paid to regurgitate press releases, ask soft questions and fawn over a team or someone who reads all available material, asks probing questions and digs beneath the surface? Because 'journalists' seem to be largely the former and informed & knowledgeable bloggers the latter.

Vaughters wants to be seen as the head of a clean revolution. Hence he must continue to make his pronouncements in public to make sure you know he is the figurehead of a clean revolution.

He faces opposition from two camps:

1) those who don't want a revolution;
2) those who do want a revolution, but don't want him to be the head of it.

Libertine Seguros said:
Vaughters wants to be seen as the head of a clean revolution. Hence he must continue to make his pronouncements in public to make sure you know he is the figurehead of a clean revolution.

He faces opposition from two camps:

1) those who don't want a revolution;
2) those who do want a revolution, but don't want him to be the head of it.

I'm ok with his leading the revolution - someone has to. Just would like to know that it is for real, and don't want to be shot at by his Presidential guard when it comes time for another change.

Dave.

There are many aspects to Vaughters' idea of what the revolution should entail that are unpalatable to many of those who support the idea of the revolution. His franchise system that would lock the top slots into an old boys' club where no smaller team could ever get in and keeps him safe (forgetting that he himself built his team up from the Continental level into the major force it is now) has the unmistakable stench of Animal Farm to it.

I want to see the anti-doping revolution happening, but I don't want Vaughters to be a part of it, let alone lead it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
More dots that are seeking out endings:

A major doping ring in Girona is discovered and a large amount of USA Pro Riders are based out of Girona. humm............................

Just connecting dots.

TRENDING THREADS