• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dr Steve Peters - Is he really just a confidence trickster?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BradCantona said:
A sports physiologist can only do so much; blatantly Liverpool were greater than the sum of their parts last season and their confidence was off the scale. I'm not convinced the manager was the source of that either. But then you sell your one world class player and no amount of psychology can make up for it
the former Liverpool sports scientist made his way back to Australia about 24 months back, and you should see his new team, Port Adelaide, and how they are "performing".

Bringing back some nice hints from Merseyside. Or Mersyside.

do they grow cows there? it sounds like a cow growing city? Or is it just a port? Mersyside, good for bovine. That should be the city's slogan. They have a few dairy and beef towns in Australia that could be sister-cities.

Brad, you would be Eric's brother by the same father would you not? I like the familial genes for flying leg kicks. Reminded me of Ron Artest at Indiana PAcers running into the bleachers to go the knuckle with fans. I preferred Ron Artest to Meta World Peace. I think his ambition was above his station. He should have started with MEta Fan Peace. Sometimes, being humble, is an underrated trait. Atleat i think so.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Who is it with PAFC? It was pretty blatant right from the start of 2013.

Heart is now Melbourne City - part of the Man City/NYC group, Van't Schip is their manager again.
Darren Burgess. but dont forget that PA is the home of the cycling AIS and Neil Craig and Charlie Walsh.

And I had mail that Manolo Saiz got his igf from Gropep in Adelaide that was stung during Operation Puerto. Gropep went out of business about 4 years ago. Gropep (growth peptides acronymish)

Is there a cycling race in Adelaide? oh?

who is the promoter of the race? he on the board of UCI. or was?

oh?

here is Burgess anyway...
http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/07/12/port-adelaide-fitness-coach-praises-hinkleys-influence/

oh, and Allan Davis should have won green jerseys, the sport spat him out, when he was one of the talents to come out of del Monte. More talented than the current breed out of Australian cycling currently. Save p'raps Gossie, MAtthews and Gerro.

What someone doing well in a nation that barely knows the game, a basic rudimentary understanding of tactics like when to pass and move, how to play the offside trap and knowing a trick like the Cruyff turn and the A-Leaguie is yours, bit like a Sunday morning pub league

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
del1962 said:
What someone doing well in a nation that barely knows the game, a basic rudimentary understanding of tactics like when to pass and move, how to play the offside trap and knowing a trick like the Cruyff turn and the A-Leaguie is yours, bit like a Sunday morning pub league
our national coach will be head coach of a major team in Europe in the future. Ang Postecoglou has ability. Top 5 club in EPL skills.

but apart from that, soccer here is epitomy of mediocrity

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Davis was at Del Monte?

Agreed he could have been better but ultimately he seemed unwilling to run his program himself.
think he was in Varese at u23 in the road program, after it moved from Salzwedal in Bremen or whichever German city AIS-Giant was based. google says based in Cottbus. with Heiko #geniusHeiko

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Yeh but Varese is linked to Mapei Centre, and everyone knows u23s don't dope, so cleans. Heiko, who knows.
Heiko was East German school. no doubt he knows how the sausage is made. but he was the founder of the Australian wave in Europe.

skippy did it a generation before, same with Peiper and a few others sleeping underneath the stands at velodromes in Belgium

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
blackcat said:
our national coach will be head coach of a major team in Europe in the future. Ang Postecoglou has ability. Top 5 club in EPL skills.

but apart from that, soccer here is epitomy of mediocrity

Don't know how you can say that.

Lets see how he does in the Asian Cup. I can think of many Championship and League One managers who have shown more potential than him.

The same stuff was said about Bob Bradley with the US and look what happenned him with Egypt in a World Cup play-off.

Anyway, I thought Popovic was regarded as the best coach in Australia. Interestingly linked with Palace today.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
gooner said:
Don't know how you can say that.

Lets see how he does in the Asian Cup. I can think of many Championship and League One managers who have shown more potential than him.

The same stuff was said about Bob Bradley with the US and look what happenned him with Egypt in a World Cup play-off.

Anyway, I thought Popovic was regarded as the best coach in Australia. Interestingly linked with Palace today.
Palace not the "major" qua major

Ang is the man. Hear from the rival coaches at the World Cup this year. They know what they are talking about. He took a rag-tag bunch on minor leaguers, to compete with the big-boys

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

budegan said:
Did I read somewhere that Peters is a masters sprint cyclist himself and rumoured to like a bit of the sauce himself?

He is multiple world masters athletics champion.

We have thread on masters doping.......well Peters has to be clean, i mean he worked for BC and Sky, has to be clean :lol:

Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
budegan said:
Did I read somewhere that Peters is a masters sprint cyclist himself and rumoured to like a bit of the sauce himself?

He is multiple world masters athletics champion.

We have thread on masters doping.......well Peters has to be clean, i mean he worked for BC and Sky, has to be clean :lol:

Whatever he might do wrong, rest assured its not his fault, it's just his pesky and unruly inner chimp that's to blame :lol:

(Nothing in cycling pisses me off quite as much as that appalling, moronically ill-conceived babble and dross of a book. Troop Moons and the Planet of Shadows and Asteroid Belt. FFS.)

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
And there we go down the rabbit hole. While Peters is dirty, he appears to be the sacrificial lamb the MPs want. Ugh. Maybe more threads to be pulled?

TRENDING THREADS