• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dr Steve Peters - Is he really just a confidence trickster?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Anyone who has read Pendelton's autobiography can be in no doubt about his value. And he's no con man either.

Brailsford was looking to get Viccy ready for the WC in the early noughties, and Peters told him, its going to take much more than a year to get her put back together again

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Like many others I'm suspicious of Skys stage race performances. However, I bought Peters book try to help me manage my depression and anxiety. Though the terms in the book are simplistic I found it very useful to understand what was going on in my mind and manage my emotions. Confidence trickster maybe, but so much of psychology is about confidence, expectation and anxiety. SSRI drugs have bad side effects on many (don't know why the **** Riis thought taking them could do no harm) and in my opinion no better than placebos, so anything that helps with a cognitive based therapy has the thumbs up from me along with a decent exercise regime.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
warrenfuk said:
Like many others I'm suspicious of Skys stage race performances. However, I bought Peters book try to help me manage my depression and anxiety. Though the terms in the book are simplistic I found it very useful to understand what was going on in my mind and manage my emotions. Confidence trickster maybe, but so much of psychology is about confidence, expectation and anxiety. SSRI drugs have bad side effects on many (don't know why the **** Riis thought taking them could do no harm) and in my opinion no better than placebos, so anything that helps with a cognitive based therapy has the thumbs up from me along with a decent exercise regime.

This post and it's replies such as this one, more than any others is why I don't like Dr Peters Modus operandi. Here we have a Dr of psychiatry, who should be subject to the Hypocratic Oath and ethics therein. Selling what appears to be out moded methods in psychiatry, on the strength of reported involvement and betterment of elite athletes in sports performance, mainly in cycling Olympic success stories.

Depression can be for some a serious and debilitating illness, and in the uk at least, very underfunded. And here you have a Dr appearing to follow the money and possible doping in sport, selling success and happiness to those at their most vulnerable, using trite and derisery models, all of which for me is NOT beyond reproach.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
horsinabout said:
This post and it's replies such as this one, more than any others is why I don't like Dr Peters Modus operandi. Here we have a Dr of psychiatry, who should be subject to the Hypocratic Oath and ethics therein. Selling what appears to be out moded methods in psychiatry, on the strength of reported involvement and betterment of elite athletes in sports performance, mainly in cycling Olympic success stories.

Depression can be for some a serious and debilitating illness, and in the uk at least, very underfunded. And here you have a Dr appearing to follow the money and possible doping in sport, selling success and happiness to those at their most vulnerable, which for me is NOT beyond reproach.
So someone who suffers from depression says they found the book useful and give it a thumbs up. Yet you use that post as proof that someone is purely in it for the money?

As far as I can see the book does not promote itself as a cure for depression.

I think I have read enough of your posts to realise you are trolling. I, for one, won't be biting again.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
horsinabout said:

Depression can be for some a serious and debilitating illness, and in the uk at least, very underfunded. And here you have a Dr appearing to follow the money and possible doping in sport, selling success and happiness to those at their most vulnerable, which for me is NOT beyond reproach.

Just bought the book (no I'm not depressed) and intend to read it just to gain an insight and perhaps guide to bettering performance through training of the mind, rather than just the physical. In my opinion the mind needs training as much as the physical aspects to attain best performances. Interested to see how Dr Peters tackles the subject. I think it's rather unfair to see this book in the context of a self treatment book for depression just because one person has used it as such. For me it's about improving my cycling, simple as. As they say, every little bit helps (marginal gains!!:)).

Once I've read the book though I'll see if my opinion differs.

Cavendash

BANNED
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
manafana said:
WHile he may be funy in his ways cant say hes part of any sort of doping. To be fair cyclking is a lot more in the mind than many might think, digging in is a lot with stopping your brain from telling you to quit.

Laughable that anyone thinks he is to be honest, who next? the tealady?

Cavendash

BANNED
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
So someone who suffers from depression says they found the book useful and give it a thumbs up. Yet you use that post as proof that someone is purely in it for the money?

I think I have read enough of your posts to realise you are trolling. I, for one, won't be biting again.

Ye what a weird post, anything that can help depression is a good thing, i dont read here much, thank god for that.

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
horsinabout said:

Depression can be for some a serious and debilitating illness, and in the uk at least, very underfunded. And here you have a Dr appearing to follow the money and possible doping in sport, selling success and happiness to those at their most vulnerable, using trite and derisery models, all of which for me is NOT beyond reproach.

Thanks for your expert opinion, but I've been down the long road of NHS drug treatment and I'm no longer vulnerable thanks but given the choice of nasty drugs of dubious benefit and some cognitive behavioural therapy I know what route I would go. Of course it would be ideal for everyone to have the time and attention that CBT requires but a 10 mins with a GP is all most get and a prescription for sleeping pills or SSRIs. Many of the models that Peters uses are not so disimilar to those used CBT treatment in the NHS, it's just a shame that you have to reach a crisis before this treatment is provided. 'using trite and derisery models' call it that if you wish (and some things are a bit silly in the book) but if many find some of it very helpful then so what?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
coinneach said:
Anyone who has read Pendelton's autobiography can be in no doubt about his value. And he's no con man either.

Brailsford was looking to get Viccy ready for the WC in the early noughties, and Peters told him, its going to take much more than a year to get her put back together again
after readin Armstrong's autobiography, and hearing about Oscar Pistolero, would one ever believe what they read in print on these tomes of hagiography and marketing newspeak?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

false dichotomy/ not either/or dilemma

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

l no more troll than anyone else on here.

I have never implied that Dr Peters book is for mental health. The point is both missed and misinterpreted. He is claiming and those he has helped are claiming to have enhanced their performance, this is subjective. Dr Peters is a psychiatrist. I don't believe that Peter's is doping athletes, but if there is doping he will know about it, and this is enough. It is a fact he is following the money in sport.

I don't know if you are a fan of sky or cycling in general. You may even love cycling. However, it has become nothing more than entertainment, and is all about money and getting the widest audience possible. Wiggins, Brailsford and all on the bandwagon don't care about the fans, they are in it for themselves 110%, they want the fans mind, money and soul, for some they may give it willingly. They want the fans on their bandwagan too, as paying spectators. And will give you any old BS to get you to believe that what you are watching is real.

The forum is the only place I know that is pointing out some of Sky's BS.

Have what ever opinion you like - just don't misinterpret what I write.

Yet again another FUBAR thread.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
So someone who suffers from depression says they found the book useful and give it a thumbs up.

wait

how many athletes
are on

selective seratonin re-uptake inhibitors.

this is another piece of brilliance from brailsford. inner chimps, swimming coaches, and psychiatrists. it sounds like an indie band releasing an LP

S
S
RU
I
's

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Peters also helped Ronnie O'Sullivan to get his head together to win the World Championship last year. Is this also a facade to cover to hide the EPO injections and blood transfusions that were the real reasons for his success?

I think it is OK to be sceptical about Sky's success due to cycling's history but some of the conspiracy theories spouted on this forum border on obsession and paranoia that could benefit from Peters professional help.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
warrenfuk said:
Peters also helped Ronnie O'Sullivan to get his head together to win the World Championship last year. Is this also a facade to cover to hide the EPO injections and blood transfusions that were the real reasons for his success?

I think it is OK to be sceptical about Sky's success due to cycling's history but some of the conspiracy theories spouted on this forum border on obsession and paranoia that could benefit from Peters professional help.

In some cases, the border post is long since in the rear view mirror.

They say for a hammer, every problem is a nail.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
warrenfuk said:

What conspiracy? Example?

It is not that I don't believe in psychiatry and it's value for those who need it.

I just don't like that Peters is selling it to the public on the back of elite athlete conscripts. I feels it all a little too trite.

Ronny O'sullivan can be a bit of a hot head ....so that figures, and he has always been a talented snooker player, pre Peters involvement. Besides you are drowning the internet with name dropping. One other person, besides the usual suspects.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
horsinabout said:
What conspiracy? Example?

It is not that I don't believe in psychiatry and it's value for those who need it.

I just don't like that Peters is selling it to the public on the back of elite athlete conscripts. I feels it all a little too trite.

Ronny O'sullivan can be a bit of a hot head ....so that figures, and he has always been a talented snooker player, pre Peters involvement. Besides you are drowning the internet with name dropping. One other person, besides the usual suspects.

If you were a successful professional in say sales, marketing, head hunting or engineering and had worked with some prestigious clients you would be and should be proud of that. So why should Steve Peters not publicise the fact of his achievements?

I dont see why is that trite? Good marketing and business savvy, for sure. Is that now considered to be performance enhancing or is the man now guilty by association?

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
What's depressing is the perception of others that the entire world of sport is caught up in nefarious doping practices.

It isn't and the near paranoia that exists around the topic isn't helpful either.

Brailsford's thesis is purely a simple one based on the use of sports psychology to help England's penaltytakers where it is known to the entire world we have a real problem. What earthly reason that has to do with doping, I don't know.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
B_Ugli said:
If you were a successful professional in say sales, marketing, head hunting or engineering and had worked with some prestigious clients you would be and should be proud of that. So why should Steve Peters not publicise the fact of his achievements?

I dont see why is that trite? Good marketing and business savvy, for sure. Is that now considered to be performance enhancing or is the man now guilty by association?

You have a good point regard promoting your professional success, if you are an engineer etc. However, Peters is a psychiatrist and in the context of sport is applying a methodology to sports psychology and enhanced performance. He has a handful of successful endorsements, that are subjective and it's value cannot be proven either way. So therefore is faith based. You have to take it on face value.

I am questioning the chimp methods for it's true value in enhancing sport in any real meaningfull way. In Peter's favour it appears that atheletes do have a choice to use him or not, which is a good thing.

Back to my original question - are Peters methods a confidence trick - as they may be out moded methods used in psychiatry, this is a possibility. This being the case, I would describe the heavy marketing of the value of his methods trite.

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
All the same, there seem to be some pretty high profile athletes (Olympic Champions) who are on record as valuing his input towards their success.

What is the issue? Sport is always about the will. Sports psychologist/ psychiatrist.... don't get hung up on the terminology.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
zebedee said:
What's depressing is the perception of others that the entire world of sport is caught up in nefarious doping practices.

It isn't and the near paranoia that exists around the topic isn't helpful either.

Brailsford's thesis is purely a simple one based on the use of sports psychology to help England's penaltytakers where it is known to the entire world we have a real problem. What earthly reason that has to do with doping, I don't know.

I don't recall saying that sport is caught up in nefarious doping practices?

TRENDING THREADS