• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Driving into cyclists the Emma way

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
On my ride today I got called 3 not very nice names. I just ignore. One thing that does make me say something is when someone pulls out on to the main road me/you are riding on.They then stop quickly when the realise they did not see you. They then look at me/you as though its our fault and get ar$%y. Some guy yesterday said to me he had 4 wheels I had 2 so he had the right of way. He slowed down to have a pop. I did respond that he should use his eyes " I did not get angry or swear" and he drove off. Idiot

Re:

frenchfry said:

top article, that

ray j willings said:
On my ride today I got called 3 not very nice names. I just ignore. One thing that does make me say something is when someone pulls out on to the main road me/you are riding on.They then stop quickly when the realise they did not see you. They then look at me/you as though its our fault and get ar$%y. Some guy yesterday said to me he had 4 wheels I had 2 so he had the right of way. He slowed down to have a pop. I did respond that he should use his eyes " I did not get angry or swear" and he drove off. Idiot

I don't mind the abuse - it means that they see you.
The "I didn't see you" crowd are the concern as that really translates into "I wasn't looking"...

Re:

frenchfry said:
While training on rollerskis, Simon Fourcade was hit deliberately by a car that didn't stop after knocking him into the ditch, then when he confronted the driver when the car was held up in traffic he was threatened with a hatchet.

http://www.ski-nordique.net/simon-fourcade-a-eu-tres-chaud.5766023-72348.html

In the USA he would probably be looking down the barrel of a gun not a hatchet. At least the assailant was consistent on all levels including his low IQ.

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I completely agree with movingtarget. The laws in US are completely different and treat everything in a fair manner. My cousin works with a Los Angeles DUI lawyer and often tells me how difficult it can be for someone who is caught drunk driving and if he is involved in a crash things are lot more difficult for him.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Archibald said:

The sad thing here are the comments, like this one:

"I feel sorry for the cyclist and hope that he's okay, but only the cyclist is to blame here....why ride side by side with another bike and take up more of the road?? They should be riding safely in single file not only for their own safety but to be respectful to motorists and to share the road.
Some laws need to be passed about what cyclists are allowed to do on the road, they are out of control and don't know how to cycle safely and with any regard to the fact they are actually sharing the roads."
Commenter Ben Date and time June 16, 2015, 3:05PM

So big brain Ben wants to blame the victim for doing something legal (riding two-abreast) and condones the culprit for doing something illegal (running over another road user), along with an ironic plea for a safer sharing of roads. Well done, Ben. Can you remind me who was out of control and failed to safely share the road in this instance? Madness.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Apparently, the big thought bubble about cyclists carrying photo ID is to make them more accountable. Accountable for what exactly? That cyclists are more likely to end up under the wheels of a negligent driver? The whole antimony against cyclists is nothing more than prejudice: the hatred of a perceived out-group, like women, ethnic minorities and LGBTQI used to be.

It's no longer OK to disparage fat, gay, black women on TV and radio [thank goodness] but ostensibly it's still OK to disparage and dehumanise cyclists because they got in your way on your morning commute; This will change, but it will take time. My thoughts are already with the new out-group the alienated crazies will target.

Stingray34 said:
The latest from the NSW (non) Liberal Govt: Cyclists must carry photo ID. Why? I guess it beats dental records as a post-mortem identification.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclists-to-be-required-to-carry-photo-identification-under-nsw-government-proposal-20150714-gibwil.html

I don't understand why so-called liberal govts are so big-government.

I came here to post this. Just when you thought that 'straya couldn't be any more antagonistic towards cyclists, they continue to surprise and horrify. I left years ago and will never return. The worst country in the world for cycling just became worse.

Oh, and a tip for anyone not wanting to find themselves in a rage. Don't read the comments on the article. It just isn't worth it.

winkybiker said:
Stingray34 said:
The latest from the NSW (non) Liberal Govt: Cyclists must carry photo ID. Why? I guess it beats dental records as a post-mortem identification.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclists-to-be-required-to-carry-photo-identification-under-nsw-government-proposal-20150714-gibwil.html

I don't understand why so-called liberal govts are so big-government.

I came here to post this. Just when you thought that 'straya couldn't be any more antagonistic towards cyclists, they continue to surprise and horrify. I left years ago and will never return. The worst country in the world for cycling just became worse.

Oh, and a tip for anyone not wanting to find themselves in a rage. Don't read the comments on the article. It just isn't worth it.
It's all about the perception that other people are getting away with things that they can't. It's permeating many facets of society. The attitudes in this country are getting more and more disgusting by the day.

a separate cyclist licence?? Idiocracy at its finest - and the citizens are proud of it :rolleyes:

I can see the reasoning for carrying photo id such as your driver's licence - the police want to identify you when they pull you over for running that red light. Because that happens so much**... :rolleyes:

** the pulling over, not the red light running

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The requirement for a cyclist to carry a photo ID is inane and revealing in two major ways: it assumes cyclists are menaces on public roads (when we all know that motorised vehicles are responsible for mass carnage) and that police are justified in harassing cyclists by stopping them and asking for photo ID, as if people on two wheels are some kind of feared out-group, responsible for the dangerous breakdown of civilised society, like, say, armed terrorists or gang members. The reality is adult cyclists are mostly commuters on their way to work or generally affluent people who are into expensive bikes and racing: ie, law-abiding and educated people.

It's crazy talk. There's no recognition of reality. Talk about manufactured demons. Meanwhile, our elected representatives claim massive entitlements for public-funded international travel, and think that progressive energy production is ugly (wind farms, as opposed to the beauty of dirty, open-cut mines) and claim that coal is 'good for humanity.'

For non-Australian readers, all you need to know is we have backward, corrupted political leaders from both major parties. Yes, there's trouble in paradise, and no one with any kind of platform is making much sense. To quote W.B. Yeats, 'The best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity.'

The rest of us look skyward and pray as a new monster slouches toward Canberra to be born with a sponsor on their nappy.

TRENDING THREADS