• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Driving into cyclists the Emma way

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
decent charges being laid, and even charges being upgraded makes for a difference, although looking at one of them suggests he won't be removed from the road...
The 62-year old cyclist suffered critical head injuries caused when he was struck by a Mitsubishi sedan travelling in the same direction along Saints Rd at Salisbury Park early on Sunday, October 22.

The Salisbury man died in Royal Adelaide Hospital on Saturday, ....

After the crash, a 19-year old Modbury man was charged with offences including causing serious injury by dangerous driving, driving disqualified and driving with a blood alcohol reading of 0.091.

Police said the most serious charge would be upgraded to causing death by dangerous driving.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...r/news-story/a5a3e3b13bcf04006612a252e787cc62

Archibald said:
decent charges being laid, and even charges being upgraded makes for a difference, although looking at one of them suggests he won't be removed from the road...
The 62-year old cyclist suffered critical head injuries caused when he was struck by a Mitsubishi sedan travelling in the same direction along Saints Rd at Salisbury Park early on Sunday, October 22.

The Salisbury man died in Royal Adelaide Hospital on Saturday, ....

After the crash, a 19-year old Modbury man was charged with offences including causing serious injury by dangerous driving, driving disqualified and driving with a blood alcohol reading of 0.091.

Police said the most serious charge would be upgraded to causing death by dangerous driving.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...r/news-story/a5a3e3b13bcf04006612a252e787cc62

Charges are one thing but the sentences are usually vanilla at best. If the driver had run into another car and killed someone it would be completely different. It seems cyclists are always held partly responsible for the accidents they are involved in but the reality is most accidents are caused by the drivers and statistics back it up and of course are completely meaningless to the innocent victims and the court system.

Merckx index said:
Cyclists hit by cars is becoming a depressingly more frequent subject in the news. Last week, a cop on a bike in San Francisco was struck by an armed man who was a suspect in another case; the perp apparently intentionally ran down the cop, who is in critical condition. The suspect was later apprehended.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/San-Francisco-police-officer-seriously-injured-by-12288660.php

Then a couple days later, two cyclists were victims of a hit and run on a stretch of road in the Bay Area that local inhabitants have long complained about. The local TV news said that both riders were thrown 20-30 feet from their bikes, and that one of them, who apparently was wearing clip-ons, was literally thrown out of his shoes, which remained attached to the pedals.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/10/21/suv-driver-leaves-scene-after-striking-cyclists-in-danville/

Not bike-related, but a few weeks ago, a woman in a car hit and critically injured a three year old. The woman was not even supposed to be driving the car. It had been brought in for service at an auto shop where she worked, and she took it for a ride without permission. She not only left the scene, but returned the car, apparently thinking no one could trace the car. I’m guessing that in addition to her legal problems, she will lose her job.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/09/28/police-locate-smart-car-detain-driver-in-richmond-child-hit-and-run/

Makes for depressing reading.

movingtarget said:
Merckx index said:
Cyclists hit by cars is becoming a depressingly more frequent subject in the news. Last week, a cop on a bike in San Francisco was struck by an armed man who was a suspect in another case; the perp apparently intentionally ran down the cop, who is in critical condition. The suspect was later apprehended.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/San-Francisco-police-officer-seriously-injured-by-12288660.php

Then a couple days later, two cyclists were victims of a hit and run on a stretch of road in the Bay Area that local inhabitants have long complained about. The local TV news said that both riders were thrown 20-30 feet from their bikes, and that one of them, who apparently was wearing clip-ons, was literally thrown out of his shoes, which remained attached to the pedals.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/10/21/suv-driver-leaves-scene-after-striking-cyclists-in-danville/

Not bike-related, but a few weeks ago, a woman in a car hit and critically injured a three year old. The woman was not even supposed to be driving the car. It had been brought in for service at an auto shop where she worked, and she took it for a ride without permission. She not only left the scene, but returned the car, apparently thinking no one could trace the car. I’m guessing that in addition to her legal problems, she will lose her job.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/09/28/police-locate-smart-car-detain-driver-in-richmond-child-hit-and-run/

Makes for depressing reading.
Jeez-zuss!

Depressing indeed!

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

movingtarget said:

Salient points:

* Wearing helmet
* Travelling same direction as car
* Was presumably in front of car to end up under wheels
* 20km/h/12mph speed limit (er...exceeded much?)
* Was "just a series of unfortunate events"
* No charges laid
* Just another dead bike rider - whoopsie but what do you expect? Your kind are a danger to yourselves

Re: Re:

Stingray34 said:
movingtarget said:

Salient points:

* Wearing helmet
* Travelling same direction as car
* Was presumably in front of car to end up under wheels
* 20km/h/12mph speed limit (er...exceeded much?)
* Was "just a series of unfortunate events"
* No charges laid
* Just another dead bike rider - whoopsie but what do you expect? Your kind are a danger to yourselves

Yes all enough to warrant further investigation. CC TV probably would have made for disturbing viewing.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cyclist-dead-after-being-hit-by-car-in-macedon-20171210-h022q4.html

In June, a cyclist was left fighting for his life after he and two others were hit by a car on the same stretch of road.

Six years ago, a bike lane was installed on the same stretch of road but it was removed amid community opposition.

Welcome to the nation of Strayamate. Love it or leave it. Of course silly push bike riders are gunna get hit. Can't help it mate. We hafta drive, ay.....my taxes....special treatment....minorities....pay bloody rego first....we're the real victims.

Here’s some regular Aussie larrikin humour:

24232187_1516957885018276_7552088397093652818_n.jpg

Just some harmless fun.

I'd kinda figured it's a term no cyclist would use. Just been a bit confused about the term for a while, since push bike - at least to me - indicates a comparison to the running (push) bikes small children use. Which, I guess, is an attempt to make cyclists seem as immature (why aren't they driving when they're old enought?) but... surely nobody would think it's okay to hit children riding their bikes, right? RIGHT?

And I didn't read the comment - didn't wanna sit at work and get all pissed off - the term is right there in the photo 42x16ss posted, not to mention it isn't the first time I've seen it.

Re: Re:

winkybiker said:
RedheadDane said:
That is sickening! :mad:

And what's with the term pushbikes? :confused:

It's a 'strayan term. It means bicycle. It is not a term cyclists use, even in 'straya. I told you not to read the comments.
Australians use the term pushbike to distinguish from a motorbike.

e.g. when I'm asked about my injury and I say it was the result of a bike or cycle accident, many Australians assume I was riding a motorbike. I often need to correct them and explain "no, I was riding a pushbike", then they understand.

It's actually an old fashioned English word, not unique to Australia. In slang terms it's often shortened to "pushy". We even have an online bicycle retail outlet called Pushys.

I see no big deal in using an alternative word for something, that's pretty normal with English variants across the world.

Guess I'm the other way around; whenever someone talk about riding their bike (meaning motorbike) I'm basically: "No, you were riding your motorbike. The bike - short for bicycle - came first."

("I'm the other way around." Can you even say that? Well... I just did!)