• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Driving into cyclists the Emma way

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Archibald said:
movingtarget said:
That'd have to be the only cycling article published by the telegraph that doesn't have a comments section...
I know what you are saying but I know that's not true as they did a story about my cycling accident some years back and there were no comments.

Re:

movingtarget said:
I know a couple of people who witnessed it. The driver threw a U Turn out of nowhere without indicating, was going uphill at 6:20 am, so it's not like the sun was too high. The street where it occurred is also on Brisbane's most popular loop, especially on a Friday.

I'm expecting a tap on the wrist - could have happened to anyone... :rolleyes:

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

42x16ss said:
movingtarget said:
I know a couple of people who witnessed it. The driver threw a U Turn out of nowhere without indicating, was going uphill at 6:20 am, so it's not like the sun was too high. The street where it occurred is also on Brisbane's most popular loop, especially on a Friday.

The tone of the article suggests it's the cyclists' fault:

* The driver didn't see or look for other road users
* The driver very reasonably turned blind due to the sun being in his eyes and expected nothing to be there
* Residents say cyclists travel fast along the road all the time, just begging to cause an accident with something big and made of metal

So there you have it - Scott Cam should turn up to his house and do a Backyard Blitz for this top bloke and the nation can laugh bitterly at those silly unAustralian push-bike riders (even though they voted for one in 2013 and continue to pay for his yearly cycling holiday junket.)

Straya mate love it or leave it eff off we're full

Stingray34 said:
42x16ss said:
movingtarget said:

The tone of the article suggests it's the cyclists' fault:

* The driver didn't see or look for other road users
* The driver very reasonably turned blind due to the sun being in his eyes and expected nothing to be there
* Residents say cyclists travel fast along the road all the time, just begging to cause an accident with something big and made of metal

So there you have it - Scott Cam should turn up to his house and do a Backyard Blitz for this top bloke and the nation can laugh bitterly at those silly unAustralian push-bike riders (even though they voted for one in 2013 and continue to pay for his yearly cycling holiday junket.)

Straya mate love it or leave it eff off we're full
It's ridiculous. The driver is a 22y.o kid from Beenleigh, one of the worst areas around Brisbane, he was going uphill and we're expected to believe that he was turning into a church at 6:20am? Because that's the only driveway he could have been turning into.

To cap things off, it looks like police officers have basically offered him an alibi, between "the sun got in the way" and "the riders were speeding". Too bad it was on a 60kmh false flat between downhill sections...

A cyclist friend in the US sent me a link to this video (adult language warning) of a hit-and-run which took place on 8 July, but I find no previous mention of in this thread. It happened on the Natchez Trace Parkway in central Tennessee.

From bits and pieces gleaned from the various news accounts, I gather what happened after went something like this. The son of the criminal saw the video and recognised it as his father's Volvo from the stickers on the back and dutifully groused to the police. Arriving at the address of the criminal (whose name is Marshall Grant Neely III), they found a Volvo SUV with wing damage consistent with having struck a bicycle, so they entered the home and found Neely, aged 58, "unconscious" on the floor. Neely initially tried to explain away the damage to his Volvo by claiming that someone standing on the side of the road had thrown the bicycle at him as he drove past. He later stated that the incident was a "soft hit."

Neely was arrested and charged with felony reckless endangerment, leaving the scene of an accident, failure to immediately notify of an accident and failure to render aid. Later they added assault with a deadly weapon, providing a false statement to a federal agent, and destruction of evidence to the tally. Apparently the incident took place in a US national park, which landed this in federal jurisdiction. Neely spent the night in jail and was released on $11,500 bail on the following morning.

The trial is scheduled to begin in federal court on 3 October. One account I read stated that a conviction on all charges potentially could net the criminal 37 years in prison.

At the time of the incident, Neely was the dean of students at the University School of Nashville, a private school (in the American sense) referred to as "a prestigious Nashville prep school." He since has been discharged from that position.

Neely remains free pending trial under the terms that he surrender his passport, not leave the area, not consume alcohol, not posses any firearms, submit to random drug testing, participate in a substance abuse program, and not violate any federal, state or local law.

In one of the online news stories, the companion of the victim (who was wearing the GoPro) states that another cyclist who happened to be in their company at the time of the incident told him that he previously had seen that same Volvo attempting to run down cyclists on this same stretch of highway, which apparently is quite a popular cycling route.

Injuries to the victim, Tyler Noe, aged 23, were said to be serious but not life-threatening. Not that this in any way diminishes the criminality of the incident but from all the Internet reporting of the incident I have found, I think his injuries were limited to extensive bruising.

So here we have a motorist whose own son suspected him capable of the hit-and-run, was found by police passed out on the floor, drove a Volvo SUV identical to one an eye-witness claimed previously to have seen displaying aggression to cyclists on the same highway as this incident, and his release from pretrial confinement was contingent on his not drinking and participating in a substance abuse program. So I'm thinking those blotches on his face in the police photo weren't sunburn.

EDIT:
I also find accounts that local cyclists donated to buy Noe a replacement bike, a Cervelo P2. At first I thought the choice of a tri-bike was a bit suspicious, as if it was unsold old stock that the dealer was eager to get rid of by converting it into some cheap advertising. I mean what self-respecting roadie would want his every-day ride replaced with a dedicated tri-bike? It turns out that Noe is an aspiring triathlete, and Greg Goodman, his GoPro-wearing companion, is an experienced Ironman-er, and on that day was serving as Noe's training partner and coach. I doubt Noe would consider it worth the cost to him but it's nice to know he'll have something to show for the incident apart the bruises.

Re:

StyrbjornSterki said:
A cyclist friend in the US sent me a link to this video (adult language warning) of a hit-and-run which took place on 8 July, but I find no previous mention of in this thread. It happened on the Natchez Trace Parkway in central Tennessee.

From bits and pieces gleaned from the various news accounts, I gather what happened after went something like this. The son of the criminal saw the video and recognised it as his father's Volvo from the stickers on the back and dutifully groused to the police. Arriving at the address of the criminal (whose name is Marshall Grant Neely III), they found a Volvo SUV with wing damage consistent with having struck a bicycle, so they entered the home and found Neely, aged 58, "unconscious" on the floor. Neely initially tried to explain away the damage to his Volvo by claiming that someone standing on the side of the road had thrown the bicycle at him as he drove past. He later stated that the incident was a "soft hit."

Neely was arrested and charged with felony reckless endangerment, leaving the scene of an accident, failure to immediately notify of an accident and failure to render aid. Later they added assault with a deadly weapon, providing a false statement to a federal agent, and destruction of evidence to the tally. Apparently the incident took place in a US national park, which landed this in federal jurisdiction. Neely spent the night in jail and was released on $11,500 bail on the following morning.

The trial is scheduled to begin in federal court on 3 October. One account I read stated that a conviction on all charges potentially could net the criminal 37 years in prison.

At the time of the incident, Neely was the dean of students at the University School of Nashville, a private school (in the American sense) referred to as "a prestigious Nashville prep school." He since has been discharged from that position.

Neely remains free pending trial under the terms that he surrender his passport, not leave the area, not consume alcohol, not posses any firearms, submit to random drug testing, participate in a substance abuse program, and not violate any federal, state or local law.

In one of the online news stories, the companion of the victim (who was wearing the GoPro) states that another cyclist who happened to be in their company at the time of the incident told him that he previously had seen that same Volvo attempting to run down cyclists on this same stretch of highway, which apparently is quite a popular cycling route.

Injuries to the victim, Tyler Noe, aged 23, were said to be serious but not life-threatening. Not that this in any way diminishes the criminality of the incident but from all the Internet reporting of the incident I have found, I think his injuries were limited to extensive bruising.

So here we have a motorist whose own son suspected him capable of the hit-and-run, was found by police passed out on the floor, drove a Volvo SUV identical to one an eye-witness claimed previously to have seen displaying aggression to cyclists on the same highway as this incident, and his release from pretrial confinement was contingent on his not drinking and participating in a substance abuse program. So I'm thinking those blotches on his face in the police photo weren't sunburn.

EDIT:
I also find accounts that local cyclists donated to buy Noe a replacement bike, a Cervelo P2. At first I thought the choice of a tri-bike was a bit suspicious, as if it was unsold old stock that the dealer was eager to get rid of by converting it into some cheap advertising. I mean what self-respecting roadie would want his every-day ride replaced with a dedicated tri-bike? It turns out that Noe is an aspiring triathlete, and Greg Goodman, his GoPro-wearing companion, is an experienced Ironman-er, and on that day was serving as Noe's training partner and coach. I doubt Noe would consider it worth the cost to him but it's nice to know he'll have something to show for the incident apart the bruises.

Even more disturbing are some of the comments attached to the video. This guy sounds like a class act not. The son seems to know right from wrong unlike his father.

A pickup truck driver who intentionally plowed into four cyclists on a charity ride Saturday along a rural Marin County road was arrested after fleeing the scene of the hit and run, officials said Sunday…

The crash happened along westbound lanes of Point Reyes-Petaluma Road near Hicks Valley Road just before noon Saturday, the CHP said.

The driver of the dark blue Dodge “intentionally swerved” into a pack of cyclists, hitting four riders heading in the same direction before he continued west on Point Reyes-Petaluma Road away from the scene, CHP officials said in a statement.

The four victims were part of a larger group of riders participating in the Jensie Gran Fondo charity ride that is sponsored by the Marin County Bicycle Coalition.

I know that area, great for long rides, and you’d think it would be very safe. Should someone who does this be treated any differently from someone who drives a vehicle into a crowd of pedestrians in a city? It seems in the first case the assumption is that the driver just hates cyclists, and isn't trying to kill them, just send them to the hospital, whereas in the second case, the driver is a terrorist intent on killing anyone. I guess this wasn't carefully planned ahead of time, and the number of people at risk was much less, but it seems to me that the difference between someone who would do this and a mass murderer like Paddock is more quantitative than qualitative.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Hit-and-run-driver-suspected-of-plowing-into-12261942.php

Merckx index said:
A pickup truck driver who intentionally plowed into four cyclists on a charity ride Saturday along a rural Marin County road was arrested after fleeing the scene of the hit and run, officials said Sunday…

The crash happened along westbound lanes of Point Reyes-Petaluma Road near Hicks Valley Road just before noon Saturday, the CHP said.

The driver of the dark blue Dodge “intentionally swerved” into a pack of cyclists, hitting four riders heading in the same direction before he continued west on Point Reyes-Petaluma Road away from the scene, CHP officials said in a statement.

The four victims were part of a larger group of riders participating in the Jensie Gran Fondo charity ride that is sponsored by the Marin County Bicycle Coalition.

I know that area, great for long rides, and you’d think it would be very safe. Should someone who does this be treated any differently from someone who drives a vehicle into a crowd of pedestrians in a city? It seems in the first case the assumption is that the driver just hates cyclists, and isn't trying to kill them, just send them to the hospital, whereas in the second case, the driver is a terrorist intent on killing anyone. I guess this wasn't carefully planned ahead of time, and the number of people at risk was much less, but it seems to me that the difference between someone who would do this and a mass murderer like Paddock is more quantitative than qualitative.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Hit-and-run-driver-suspected-of-plowing-into-12261942.php

Worse than a drive by shooting, because the car driver is absolutely certain beforehand that he is going to hit his target with his deadly weapon.

MarkvW said:
Merckx index said:

Worse than a drive by shooting, because the car driver is absolutely certain beforehand that he is going to hit his target with his deadly weapon.

it seems that sentencing for cycle related incidents won't become realistic until a politician's son or a celebrity's daughter becomes a victim. This is the way the world works unfortunately. I agree with you that premeditated is premeditated in all cases even involving cyclists or at least it should be.

You can bet that this driver has done it before and it was either not reported or he couldn't be identified.

Re:

King Boonen said:

Just another deadbeat in a car who would probably run for his life if someone actually threatened him. What a hero. I hope they catch him and at least embarrass him publicly if that's actually possible. Deserves a jail sentence but not in this world. Probably community service because of his previous driving record or some such.

Cyclists hit by cars is becoming a depressingly more frequent subject in the news. Last week, a cop on a bike in San Francisco was struck by an armed man who was a suspect in another case; the perp apparently intentionally ran down the cop, who is in critical condition. The suspect was later apprehended.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/San-Francisco-police-officer-seriously-injured-by-12288660.php

Then a couple days later, two cyclists were victims of a hit and run on a stretch of road in the Bay Area that local inhabitants have long complained about. The local TV news said that both riders were thrown 20-30 feet from their bikes, and that one of them, who apparently was wearing clip-ons, was literally thrown out of his shoes, which remained attached to the pedals.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/10/21/suv-driver-leaves-scene-after-striking-cyclists-in-danville/

Not bike-related, but a few weeks ago, a woman in a car hit and critically injured a three year old. The woman was not even supposed to be driving the car. It had been brought in for service at an auto shop where she worked, and she took it for a ride without permission. She not only left the scene, but returned the car, apparently thinking no one could trace the car. I’m guessing that in addition to her legal problems, she will lose her job.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/09/28/police-locate-smart-car-detain-driver-in-richmond-child-hit-and-run/