• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dumoulin.

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

matter said:
Yes Rettenbachferner was alone, and I lost my joy in cycling climbing the Mortirolo, but this stage had 6 climbs, not one.

nope 1 climb is the same as 6, just like the competition was the same apperently...lol

Miburo, I can see where you're coming from. However, take into account that 1) Valverde and Quintana half-blew themselves with attacks and immediate responses to other attacks (at the foot of the climb) whereas Dumoulin smartly put in his own pace and that 2) those you mentioned have another recent GT in their legs. What do those who finished in front of Dumoulin, bar Purito and Majka have in common? They didn't ride the Tour. And Purito and Majka didn't contest the GC there.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

classicomano said:
Miburo said:
And in Suisse he didn't destroy the best riders on a hill, that happened in this vuelta though.
There was not such a stage in Suisse, if there was, he wouldve crushed them.

kd4xZqz.png

2xDorfstrasse 5.4 km at 4,8%
2xMichaelskreuz 4km at 8,9%

Miburo said:
classicomano said:
Miburo said:
And in Suisse he didn't destroy the best riders on a hill, that happened in this vuelta though.
There was not such a stage in Suisse, if there was, he wouldve crushed them.

kd4xZqz.png

2xDorfstrasse 5.4 km at 4,8%
2xMichaelskreuz 4km at 8,9%
Yes this was the stage where Dumoulin took control in the last climb and had only a handful of rider suffering in his wheel once they reached the top. Too bad the finish was flat.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Tyr said:
I hope Dumuolin gets busted this very Vuelta. That would shut this bunch of delusional Dutch fanboys for good.

Yes, Yeeesss! They need to be punished!
But why stop there? Bust evil Gesink too and their entire (tiny) world collapses

Tyr

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

BigMac said:
Tyr said:
I hope Dumuolin gets busted this very Vuelta. That would shut this bunch of delusional Dutch fanboys for good.

Why would you assume everyone who's still giving him the benefit of the doubt is Dutch?

Being Dutch and wanting to defend their compatriot along with plain delirium are the only reasonable explanations of why someone would defend this ridicolous transfomation.

BigMac said:
That's sort of the point. You can't possibly point out to dope here without first assuming he was on it in Suisse. May be you do, but I didn't see uproar back then.
No, Suisse has nothing to do with setting the bar for suspicion at "Dumoulin wins the friggin' stage".

There's actually little point of comparison between this and Suisse, but that's not what I was getting at.

Tyr

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Look, I'm italian and I'm not reluctant to say that Aru is a big doper, even if his transformation was much smoother than Dumuolin's.

Tyr said:
BigMac said:
Tyr said:

Why would you assume everyone who's still giving him the benefit of the doubt is Dutch?

Being Dutch and wanting to defend their compatriot along with plain delirium are the only reasonable explanations of why someone would defend this ridicolous transfomation.

I think you haven't followed Dumoulin much to label this a 'ridiculous transformation'. That or you haven't seen many ridiculous transformations.

BigMac said:
Tyr said:
BigMac said:
Tyr said:

I think you haven't followed Dumoulin much to label this a 'ridiculous transformation'. That or you haven't seen many ridiculous transformations.

Dumoulin's transformation in climbing ability is no smaller than G's transformation

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think we gain much from calling each other or each other's statements delusional.

I think we can all agree that his performance was remarkable and noticeable, whether you would hold that conviction with a negative or a positive connotation. Personally, I wouldn't bet on him being clean, as I would be with any other rider that would show such a progression (or transformation, if you like). (Actually, betting was only a figure of speech, I would never place a real bet on a professional cyclist being clean. Given the history that would be lunacy.)

I don't think a mud throwing fight is going to solve anything.

PremierAndrew said:
BigMac said:
Tyr said:
BigMac said:
Tyr said:

Dumoulin's transformation in climbing ability is no smaller than G's transformation

It really is. Besides being younger, Dumoulin had convincing climbing performances before this year.

If Thomas had not been in the Tour de Suisse, Dumoulin would have gotten more scrutiny for that performance. He did match Levi's time on the same climb and beat Majka in the race itself.

I would not be bothered if the Dutch were the next recipient of the UCI free pass as I enjoy watching many of their riders. And I can't get too upset about natural progression when all the evidence points to progression in cycling having nothing to due with nature. YMMV

Re:

StannisBaratheon said:
Vuelta is juice paradise, Cobo, Horner, and now this. This race is becoming laughable.

As opposed to Armstrong's seven Tour wins, Wiggins Contador and Froome. Menchov, Basso and Di Luca.

And pretty much every other juice fueled edition of those races since the dawn of time.

TRENDING THREADS