• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

E3 BinckBank Classic - March 29, 2019

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jaylew said:
Great tactics from QS once again. Despite his two late attacks, no real shock that Stybar won that having been able to sit on for so long.

it's not tactics any more, when they do it every race it's just routine, I just don't get, like someone earlier in the discussion, what for were the CC, Bora and others teams saving the domestics on the downhill to paterberg, it was obvious it will split there, they lost like 20s there

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Great win!

Who's laughing again!

2297294_.jpg

Re: Re:

tomorrow said:
jaylew said:
Great tactics from QS once again. Despite his two late attacks, no real shock that Stybar won that having been able to sit on for so long.

it's not tactics any more, when they do it every race it's just routine, I just don't get, like someone earlier in the discussion, what for were the CC, Bora and others teams saving the domestics on the downhill to paterberg, it was obvious it will split there, they lost like 20s there
Maybe the tactic was that they didn't actually want to catch Jungels too early. They wanted to catch him in the last 10km, otherwise a succession of fresher QST riders would just keep attacking. And it wasn't too far from working.

tomorrow said:
jaylew said:

The other teams should hire riders from DQ so that they can neutralize the DQ tactics

I think it's much better when DQS wins everything not because they have the strongest rider, but because of the whole team and their tactics. At least they make the race hard and interesting. Of course when Sagan and GVA were winning everything nobody cried about their dominance.

Re:

Vroome.exe said:
I think it's much better when DQS wins everything not because they have the strongest rider, but because of the whole team and their tactics. At least they make the race hard and interesting. Of course when Sagan and GVA were winning everything nobody cried about their dominance.
But this wasn't interesting.

Bardamu said:
Vroome.exe said:
At least the last 5km were reasonably interesting. Which is 5km more than almost every cobbled classic last season.

Re:

Vroome.exe said:

I was sick of GVA's dominance. And cried about it.

When was Sagan winning everything?

tobydawq said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
Like i said, Stybar was laughing his *** off.

I didn't see him laugh. But fair enough, you must have a higher definition on your tv.
4k buddy

The moment Stybar was able to follow Van Avermaet's attack, it was clear that either Jungels would stay away, or if he got caught, Stybar would get a free ride to the final few kilometers. Jungles would always be able to keep the pace high enough to prevent the other group from coming back.

I 'm not particularly fond of DQS winning everything, but they have the best team. Simple. Always an extra guy that doesn't have to work and can profit off the work of others. I can live with Stybar winning it. He's a very nice bloke and he's paid his dues. I would have liked Van Aert or Van Avermaet to win more, because they worked the most.

Bardamu said:
Vroome.exe said:
Then I don't know what you expect from a race like this, I mean not every race is PR 2016. DQS at least guarantee action from far out. Without them Kristoff would probably win half these races.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Sagan should feel a bit worried after this performance, but he can suddenly find missing shape pretty quickly.

we'll see on sunday, if something, sagan doesn't seem to bother with past result, either good or not good. And GvA in some kind of a shape is also good news for him. WVA and Bettiol too actually. The more riders in par with DQS guys, the better chance they can neutralize them, and this year it will be even more difficult, because Stybar is in monster form and imho and better in the helingens than any of them, whereas last year Terpstra and Gilbert before were kind of a underdogs.

Vroome.exe said:
Bardamu said:
Vroome.exe said:
Then I don't know what you expect from a race like this, I mean not every race is PR 2016. DQS at least guarantee action from far out. Without them Kristoff would probably win half these races.
Not a fan of one team neutralising the entire race.

tobydawq said:

I didn't see him laugh. But fair enough, you must have a higher definition on your tv.
4k buddy

The moment Stybar was able to follow Van Avermaet's attack, it was clear that either Jungels would stay away, or if he got caught, Stybar would get a free ride to the final few kilometers. Jungles would always be able to keep the pace high enough to prevent the other group from coming back.

I 'm not particularly fond of DQS winning everything, but they have the best team. Simple. Always an extra guy that doesn't have to work and can profit off the work of others. I can live with Stybar winning it. He's a very nice bloke and he's paid his dues. I would have liked Van Aert or Van Avermaet to win more, because they worked the most.

I'm not saying it wasn't a perfect situation for him, you just made it sound (to me) like the others were stupid in reeling in Jungels when Stybar was sitting in the wheels. And that it was a given he would win in the end. I don't think it was a no-brainer but he was pretty dominant in the sprint, I have to admit.

tobydawq said:
tobydawq said:

4k buddy

I'm not saying it wasn't a perfect situation for him, you just made it sound (to me) like the others were stupid in reeling in Jungels when Stybar was sitting in the wheels. And that it was a given he would win in the end. I don't think it was a no-brainer but he was pretty dominant in the sprint, I have to admit.
He was able to sit in 4-8th position for the final 35k, while Van Aert, Bettiol, Van Avermaet had to do a lot of work to close 45 seconds on Jungels.

Anyway, i still crack up every time Van Avermaet pronounces Jungels as the plural of one jungle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re:

Vroome.exe said:
This is multiple years worth of dominance. Besides, dominance by one rider is far more appealing and historically relevant than by one team.

Re:

Eyeballs Out said:
Another no-show from Trek and Dimension Data
Yeah I was checking the results and it was stunning.
Valgren was DD's best placed rider: 39th.
Degenkolb was Trek's best placed rider: 22nd with Stuyven and Theuns almost invisible for the entire race.
Sky was also a no show with no one inside the top50.

I don't think the problem is Deuceninck being too strong (well not entirely). Several teams are underperforming badly.
With all that said, I enjoyed the race. Groups all over the place chasing a 60 km attack, not that bad if you ask me.

Hats off to Marc Hirschi, we knew he was talented but that was a monster performance for a neo-pro.

TRENDING THREADS