• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eclipse

We had 98-99% totality in Boise. Areas very near had 100%. I went up on the roof at work for about 30 minutes with colleagues to watch. The visual of the moon slowly blocking the sun was cool, but the change in light and temperature was also very interesting. I had never seen the horizon look that way before.

I have a feeling that traffic will be a bit wild for the rest of today, and even tomorrow as eclipse viewers head home/to the airport.

Side note: I bought a six pack of Sawtooth Total Eclipse of the Hop ale. Its a pretty typical Pale Ale (35 IBU).

I watched it here in Eugene, OR while at work with my clients, we had a good view of the sun itself outside on the street. Unfortunately I couldn't see the horizon where I was located, so I'm sorry I missed out on that. But...

It was just awesome! Not as awesome as the places that had 100% totality (we had about 99%), but awesome nonetheless.

I was looking at the trees and plants and stuff just to see if I could differentiate between normal daylight and eclipse light, the latter reminded me of those LED streetlights they've put up around town the past few years. (It's not really normal light, it's a bit eerie.)

Anyhoo, this was almost like a spiritual experience, it kinda makes me sad it went by so quickly.

Saw an article about this in the local paper today, apparently Astronomers Without Borders will be collecting used eclipse glasses so other people in impoverished areas can use them when their eclipse comes around. (Not AWB, per se, but they'll have more info as to the actual collection places later on.)

https://astronomerswithoutborders.org/awb-programs/resource-sharing-programs/eclipse-glasses-giveaway.html

May not seem to be worth the effort, but since I don't feel like just throwing my eclipse glasses into the trash I thought this was a neat idea.

Btw., I had just emailed AWB, just to make sure they are legit. Here's what I wrote:

Hello,

I saw an article about your eclipse glasses re-use program in the local paper today, by eclipse glasses do you mean the $2 ones I bought at the store? Or, are you looking for something more fancy?

I just loved the eclipse, even though where I was located in in Oregon we were at only 99% totality. And the $2 glasses worked just fine.

Please advise.

Will let you fine cycling folk know how this pans out.

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Saw an article about this in the local paper today, apparently Astronomers Without Borders will be collecting used eclipse glasses so other people in impoverished areas can use them when their eclipse comes around. (Not AWB, per se, but they'll have more info as to the actual collection places later on.)

https://astronomerswithoutborders.org/awb-programs/resource-sharing-programs/eclipse-glasses-giveaway.html

May not seem to be worth the effort, but since I don't feel like just throwing my eclipse glasses into the trash I thought this was a neat idea.
I gave mine to a local HS science club that is collecting them to send to a HS science club in S. America for the next eclipse.

Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
I gave mine to a local HS science club that is collecting them to send to a HS science club in S. America for the next eclipse.
That's cool.

I did get a reply from AWB, was given an address, and they do accept the cheapy eclipse glasses. I thought maybe they just wanted the expensive ones, or telescopes, that kind of thing. So I'll be mailing them in, I don't think I'll be needing eclipse glasses any time soon. (Don't see myself "eclipse chasing" like some people do, while an attractive idea that kind of traveling would get rather pricey.)

tintin.jpg