• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Cannondale Pro Cycling

Well, crash explains a lot. Still, he performed so poorly in earlier ITTs this year that I was ready to believe he could be this bad even without crash.

And Roglic's win today leaves Cannondale in a very narrow group of WT teams without WT win this year. :(

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
I don't feel your pain, but it must be extremely frustrating to be a Cannondale fan. I really hope that either Urán or Formolo surprises hugely now so you can have something to cheer for, lol. I really do...
Yeah. :(

CheckMyPecs said:
Urán might want to review his goals in this Giro. Perhaps the mountains jersey.
It makes little sense to give up his GC ambitions at this point. He is no more than around 2 minutes behind anyone who can win this race. He can still podium. He hasn't been dropped on any climb in this race so far by anyone bar Chavez, who dropped everyone else on final meters of stage 6 as well.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Great to see Cannondale finally take its third win this season.

16atocstage2027_670.jpg

5 guys in the top40 today in the Giro.

Decent performance from Nathan Brown from breakaway. I didn't expect anything more.

Formolo tried to distance Jungels, I guess, but in the end he lost some time. But at least he gained time on Verona, who I expected to be a threat too.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Anderis said:
5 guys in the top40 today in the Giro.

Decent performance from Nathan Brown from breakaway. I didn't expect anything more.

Formolo tried to distance Jungels, I guess, but in the end he lost some time. But at least he gained time on Verona, who I expected to be a threat too.
Formolo's 5'32" down on Jungels now, but as we know the big gaps tend to be made in the final week in the Giro.

CheckMyPecs said:
Formolo's 5'32" down on Jungels now, but as we know the big gaps tend to be made in the final week in the Giro.
Wow, I wasn't aware of the fact it's 5'32" already, would estimate it between 3 and 4 minutes by intuition. PCS was down the entire afternoon today and I didn't bother to check GC elsewhere.

Still, it's dobale. People tend to underrate how much time can be lost and gained in GTs and sometimes tell a GC is over for rider if he loses 2 or 3 minutes, while at the end of the race it makes maybe 1 or 2 places of difference and 10th guy in GC is usually over 10 minutes behind the winner.

Disappointed with Craddock today. The team rode at the front for pretty much the whole stage and he finishes outside top10. He finished in a top10 against much, much stronger opposition in a race that should suit him less a month ago in Pais Vasco, so I guess he is past his peak form at this point of the year.

On the other hand, it's good to see Talansky showing some climbing form. Shame that Cannondale were stubbornly doing their train instead of forcing other teams to share the work and keep their options open.

Anderis said:
Disappointed with Craddock today. The team rode at the front for pretty much the whole stage and he finishes outside top10. He finished in a top10 against much, much stronger opposition in a race that should suit him less a month ago in Pais Vasco, so I guess he is past his peak form at this point of the year.

On the other hand, it's good to see Talansky showing some climbing form. Shame that Cannondale were stubbornly doing their train instead of forcing other teams to share the work and keep their options open.

Yeah, I'm really disappointed in Craddock's performance tonight.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Anderis said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Wow, I wasn't aware of the fact it's 5'32" already, would estimate it between 3 and 4 minutes by intuition. PCS was down the entire afternoon today and I didn't bother to check GC elsewhere.

Still, it's dobale. People tend to underrate how much time can be lost and gained in GTs and sometimes tell a GC is over for rider if he loses 2 or 3 minutes, while at the end of the race it makes maybe 1 or 2 places of difference and 10th guy in GC is usually over 10 minutes behind the winner.
Especially at the Giro.

Very decent performance from the team today. 5 guys in the top30.

Uran worryingly bad at one point but managed to recover before Nibali's final attack.

Formolo climbed a bit better than Jungels but got caught by him on the downhill.

At one point I thought Uran would crack badly and Formolo would be the new team leader because the latter looked much more comfortable but it all turned around in a moment.

Moser was a superb team-mate. First worked for Dombrowski (not as much as Clarke, though), then helped Uran to bridge the gap on the final climb after his bad moment and later helped Formolo for a moment as well.

Looking forward for tomorrow. I think it's not totally impossible that Formolo could top10 at the end of the race. Hopefully Uran's bad moment today is not a prognostic for cracking badly in the next few days.

Dombrowski has been saving himself for the mountain stages but it's still good that he has done well on the climbs today. His descending on Valparola though....really poor specially with perfect racing conditions.

Formolo on the other hand just looks the be a decent prospect for a medium climbing domestique at best. Really poor today losing 27min behind Kung or Rojas for instance. Jungels is no climber but at least he's consistent and only Henao can take the white jersey from him.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

trevim said:
Dombrowski has been saving himself for the mountain stages but it's still good that he has done well on the climbs today. His descending on Valparola though....really poor specially with perfect racing conditions.

Formolo on the other hand just looks the be a decent prospect for a medium climbing domestique at best. Really poor today losing 27min behind Kung or Rojas for instance. Jungels is no climber but at least he's consistent and only Henao can take the white jersey from him.
Formolo went backwards after 2014, he was one hell of a neopro and both his climbing and TT skills were impressive back then, if we ignore he was the only guy who improved/had a great season on that Cannondale (ex Liquigas) team. That team was a mess and yet Formolo was one of the best neopros when it came to gc prospects, only Adam Yates and maybe Sebastian Henao had a better season, so you'd assume that he'd do even better on a more organised team, but Cannondale seems to be a strange team.
Dombrowski has always been a fragile pure climber who could loose time on the descents and on the flat stages, he always had great recovery and is at his best in the high mountains.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
trevim said:

Formolo went backwards after 2014, he was one hell of a neopro and both his climbing and TT skills were impressive back then, if we ignore he was the only guy who improved/had a great season on that Cannondale (ex Liquigas) team. That team was a mess and yet Formolo was one of the best neopros when it came to gc prospects, only Adam Yates and maybe Sebastian Henao had a better season, so you'd assume that he'd do even better on a more organised team, but Cannondale seems to be a strange team.
Dombrowski has always been a fragile pure climber who could loose time on the descents and on the flat stages, he always had great recovery and is at his best in the high mountains.
Formolo still has time on his side but today was a big disappointment for me, a GC climber just can't lose 27min in one stage for apparently no reason. Nevertheless I look forward to see him on the attack somewhere this Giro :)
Also what happened to Villela? He was a great prospect as well but I haven't noticed him on the climbs.
Yeah Dombrowski is as pure climber as they come, but at this point it's already great he's riding healthy and building strength for the future.

TRENDING THREADS