• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Bevin, Mullen and Van Baarle were kept they'd have an ok squad (of course none of those guys add climbing wise so they'd have to find a balance somewhere).

I tried to make a team for both the Giro and TDF (assuming the Giro has no TTT it looked like this Uran, Dombrowski, Martinez, D.Moreno L.Craddock, S.Clarke, A.Howes and N.Brown) and then I was going to say Cannondale could have a relatively ok TTT squad for the TDF if they focused on stage wins (Woods, Vanmarcke, their two sprinters etc.) but then realised I forgot Rolland in both squads so that ruins that latter idea.

I also tried to play with the pontential rosters for Giro and Tour.

Assuming that Uran goes for the Tour:
Tour: Uran, Rolland, Clarke, Brown, Craddock, Vanmarcke, Phinney, Langeveld - that could allow to limit TTT loses quite well. Only Rolland is below average rider for stages like that. The rest is not great but solid. Also a very balanced team overall- great for the cobbled stage and not awful for mountains.

It's hard to do well in the Tour after the Giro so Rolland does TdF+Vuelta rather than Giro+TdF as Uran needs him in good shape in July.

Giro: Modolo, Breschel, Woods, Martinez, Carthy, Dombrowski, Howes + McLay or Van Asbroeck- I was thinking about even more support for Modolo but then I realised that it would have left too many pure climbers without doing a GT which is not what you want,

Chosing to ride the Giro with Uran complicates things because I don't think focusing on sprints during TdF can bring them much success agaisnt riders like Kittel, Gaviria, Groenewegen and Demare. That's almost like writing TdF off.

Giro: Uran, Woods, Breschel, Clarke, Carthy, Dombrowski, Howes, Martinez

TdF: Rolland, Brown/Craddock, Vanmarcke, Langeveld, Phinney, Modolo, McLay, Van Asbroeck/Docker - trying to win the cobbled stage should be a priority, then you just rely on Rolland's mountain breakaways and Modolo/McLay getting lucky in one of the sprints.

I don't include Dani Moreno because he hasn't been 100% confirmed, has he?

Re:

Leinster said:
So were Oath the major sponsor who backed out?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/oath-backs-out-of-sponsorship-deal-with-slipstream-sports/

It seems like the logical conclusion to draw, unless JV dives headlong into another desperate last minute push to dig up a few mil to save the squad.

were Oath a "direct cash sponsor" or just media services/exposure (worth XY amount of cash)?
What about the other "cash sponsors" who were lured because of Oath media potential services?

Re:

Leinster said:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/oath-backs-out-of-sponsorship-deal-with-slipstream-sports/

It seems like the logical conclusion to draw, unless JV dives headlong into another desperate last minute push to dig up a few mil to save the squad.
No, Oath was not that sponsor. Oath was just supposed to be one of the secondary sponsors. I assume that lesser than Cannondale, Drapac and EF as they were not supposed to appear in the team's name.

I've read rumours that the company which backed out before EF arrived was a betting company.

Re: Re:

Anderis said:
Leinster said:

No, Oath was not that sponsor. Oath was just supposed to be one of the secondary sponsors. I assume that lesser than Cannondale, Drapac and EF as they were not supposed to appear in the team's name.

I've read rumours that the company which backed out before EF arrived was a betting company.

Yup, Unibet

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
I still can't understand the hate for JV. He brings back David Millar and puts him back on track then he takes Wiggins and sets him up for success in the tour. So far JV has demonstrated the prowess of a cat amongst the chickens. Anyone who is around cycling can see and respect that.

among his actual management traits that are outstanding he is one handsome man among many boys. I enjoy his work to ensure that the team is on top.

Re: Cannondale-Drapac

Even as a fan of the Slipstream team, I have to admit that I understand why would Vaughters be annoying to some people.

The other thing is that he sometimes gets a lot of criticism that doesn't really address things he is actually doing wrong. But I guess he is not the only person in the world to experience that. Some people just like to say *** about others so that they don't have to focus on their own mistakes.

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
JV does seem to get underneath peoples skin. Maybe because of his constant commitment to excellence along with his drive as a professional.
All anyone needs to do is look at how JV was able to resurrect Uran’s career, which he had done for Wiggins and Millar.

2018 will be interesting with Dani Moreno doing the LBL-FW double, something Moreno would have never considered without the coaching and tutelage of JV.
The rumor out now is that Rolland is about to get the ax for being lazy and not following the difficult yet rewarding training schedule that JV had provided for him.
Proof of JV’s expertise was evident when Contador was begging to become a member of the Slipstream family and team.

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
You all need to find a way to attack as a group better. I find it distasteful and against the rules posted for the forum against attacking another person.
"This partnership will allow us to open up the team in terms of content well beyond what most of the United States audience sees," Vaughters said in July. "Oath has the platforms, skill and ambition to tell the story of cycling in a myriad of ways. We want people to see us better, to get to know the riders, the staff and what it takes to be in pro cycling."

This quote tells me that another sponsor is there and they are about to close the deal.
anything else lacking content I will just ignore.

TRENDING THREADS