• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 113 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If the merger between QS and JV goes through as rumoured, I will be very disappointed if EF doesn't pick up someone decent to bolster their sprinting/northern classics squad. But I actually expect that they won't.

Maybe the powers at EF had heard rumors for a while, and that's why they have so many contracts not renewed, leaving space to sign riders involved in the merger.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Or maybe they're hoping a sponsor or two will be up for grabs after the merger.
It looks like they only have 4 spots left with some riders they will likely resign. I suspect that if an opportunity fell into their lap, they might be able to convince one of the new signings to start on the development team and then switch to a stagiaire, or upgrade as Valgren did this year.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If Quick Step is folding, my dream scenario would be for EF to pick up Asgreen and Luke Lamperti. As I said earlier, I want at least one rider who can add strength to the cobbled team and one guy who can sprint.

However, I wouldn't say no to riders like Van Wilder, Merlier, C. Pederen, Lampaert, Lecerf, Gelders, Huby, Vangheluwe, hell even Jordi Warlop, because I'm desperate for signing someone with half-decent sprint . Evenepoel is not realistic and Alaphilippe will ask for too much money.

I hope EF is not missing on the opportunity to sign some of these guys because Vaughters already decided to sign a bunch of neo-pros and re-sign a bunch of mediocre riders. A team like EF should always have some spots open until late in the season for situations like these.

EDIT: Senechal would also be a nice signing. Didn't include him because PCS doesn't have him as contracted fo Quick Step for 2024 but he doesn't seem to be confirmed anywhere else.

Last edited:
Here's the PCS EF start list for il lombardia

I love Inner Ring's blog but here is what he says about the team...

"EF Education-Easypost have a very strong team, every rider looks capable of winning and some of them have already."

That seems a bit hyberbolic to me.

Chaves has won in the past.
Uran has podiumed 3 times.

Carapaz and Healey...maybe.

Caicedo?
Honore
Piccolo?

I don't see those last three in the hunt for top 10. Am I wrong?

every rider looks capable of winning
Every rider looks capable of winning, but not necessarily Il Lombardia. :p I think only Carapaz can realistically win Il Lombardia, maybe Healy is a very loong shot but I don't quite believe Lombardia is the race that plays into his strenghts as well as some of the other races on the calendar. Uran and Chaves... it's not 2016 anymore.

It looks like Quick Step is not folding, so I guess the remaining 4 spots on the team for 2024 will be contract extensions. If you asked me, I would say that J. Van den Berg, Caicedo, Doull and Shaw seem most logical choices but I could also see Amador being kept for one more year. Kudus and Keukeleire also seem like riders that should've either been kept or we would've heard about them either changing teams or retiring (Keukeleire) by now.

I'm a bit p****d off that the team leaned so heavily on recruiting climbing talent this transfer window while neglecting prospects for more flatter races. Every team has areas which they focus on some more than others but EF will now have more climbing prospects than they will know what to do with while often showing up to flatter races without even half a guy who can contest any kind of a big group sprint. It'll be kinda frustrating to watch as a fan, again.

Last edited:
Per PCS the list of EF riders not signed with anyone for 2024

I know I'm biased in favor of American riders because I'm asking myself how can they not sign Sean Quinn? But his stats are not very good this season despite 68 race days.

If that's true, then maybe Vaughters indeed was holding some salary budget in reserve in case Quick-Step riders were free to find a new team. As it did not happen, the reserve was spent on Rui Costa. It would make sense because Vaughters rarely hires near retirement riders with big names otherwise.
Costa had a bit of a resurgence this year and I was surprised that Intermarché didn't keep him. But I think your analysis is correct regarding QS.

"The US-registered WorldTour team has also signed 18-year-old Markel Beloki, 19-year-old Lukas Nerurkar and Jack Rootkin-Gray of Britain, Ireland’s Darren Rafferty and Archie Ryan, and Jardi Christiaan van der Lee from the Netherlands."

Per PCS the list of EF riders not signed with anyone for 2024

I know I'm biased in favor of American riders because I'm asking myself how can they not sign Sean Quinn? But his stats are not very good this season despite 68 race days.
Surprised Shaw has not been offered a contract for next year yet. Having listened to Vaughters, during Eurosport tour coverage, praise himself for recognising the talent of Shaw and signing him, and then saying what a good season he was having.
Though perhaps I should not be surprised.