• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think the Giro is the one that will be cancelled. At least it will be the first casualty. Maybe the Tour and Vuelta will be cancelled as well. But there is a motivation in France from towns, hotels, etc to incentive the economy. They'll try hard to have the Tour.

Giro in october is very risky, there is a potential for bad weather towards the end of the race (conveniently the most important and also the highest re altitude). Bolzano isn't the best example bc it has a very different climate to higher up but it's the fitst mountain town I found data for, october temps are more than five degrees lower than in May, and considering it is late May vs Late October, that's more like 7 or so. Bonus is there won't be much snow to clear.

So Vuelta in October/November. I thought Koronin wrote like 25 times that this was not an option?

It won't. The Spaniards are saying no and are telling everyone to petition the hosts cities to refuse to allow the race at the time. They would prefer the race to be cancelled than run at that time of year. They are saying they won't support it and if they won't support it the host cities can't host it. According to the Spanish people this is not an option and they won't support it and without support of the people the local governments can't support it. The Spaniards are saying you can't race in the mountains at the time of year and without mountains the race is 100% pointless.

Regarding possible Giro in October, I think the chances of miserable riding conditions (cold and wet) will be higher than in May, but issues of cancelled stages due to avalanche threat will be less (even if snowing some days the snowpack won’t be extensive). Perhaps Kruijswijk should target it since there won’t be giant snowbanks to dodge.

To me it looks now like nothing but the Tour will happen. (If they don't find a medicine that's already been through trials or something like that.) Read that interview with the Bora guy who said the Tour is 70% of the marketing worth. Everyone involved in cycling will do everything to make that happen... but the rest?

It won't. The Spaniards are saying no and are telling everyone to petition the hosts cities to refuse to allow the race at the time. They would prefer the race to be cancelled than run at that time of year. They are saying they won't support it and if they won't support it the host cities can't host it. According to the Spanish people this is not an option and they won't support it and without support of the people the local governments can't support it. The Spaniards are saying you can't race in the mountains at the time of year and without mountains the race is 100% pointless.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ne...s-makes-panorama-clearer-for-vuelta-a-espana/

Are you just making stuff up now?

Sometimes, I wonder what it is with you. Most of the time, you're reasonable and informing, but sometimes you just switch and become completely rambling, like when Quintana made his cross-wind attack, when it rained at the Worlds and now this.

Who are "the Spaniards" and "the Spanish people"?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ne...s-makes-panorama-clearer-for-vuelta-a-espana/

Are you just making stuff up now?

Sometimes, I wonder what it is with you. Most of the time, you're reasonable and informing, but sometimes you just switch and become completely rambling, like when Quintana made his cross-wind attack, when it rained at the Worlds and now this.

Who are "the Spaniards" and "the Spanish people"?

The Spaniards who are posting comments on this on Spanish boards and pages. They aren't on English language pages.

Also the RFEC has stated they will follow the health guidelines stated by the government of their country. That cycling will not start until the Government (the Spanish Government) allows it.
Here's the statement from the RFEC

Last edited:
The Spaniards who are posting comments on this on Spanish boards and pages. They aren't on English language pages.

Also the RFEC has stated they will follow the health guidelines stated by the government of their country. That cycling will not start until the Government (the Spanish Government) allows it.
Here's the statement from the RFEC

What Spanish people post on forums is irrelevant to any decision made by ASO - Especially seeing there is every chance the Vuelta could be raced without crowds - of course ASO is beholden to the Government of the day as is every sporting event.

What Spanish people post on forums is irrelevant to any decision made by ASO - Especially seeing there is every chance the Vuelta could be raced without crowds - of course ASO is beholden to the Government of the day as is every sporting event.

It may be irrelevant to the ASO, but not to local, provincial and federal Governments. It's also not irrelevant to the RFEC who does have control over allowing or not allowing racing within Spanish borders.

Currently France, Spain, Italy are still having more problems than California.

Regarding possible Giro in October, I think the chances of miserable riding conditions (cold and wet) will be higher than in May, but issues of cancelled stages due to avalanche threat will be less (even if snowing some days the snowpack won’t be extensive). Perhaps Kruijswijk should target it since there won’t be giant snowbanks to dodge.
Races are generally cancelled due to bad weather though not avalanche threat (see, 2013 Giro). It'll be snowy days and bad visibility that cause issues, and sadly that'll be more likely in October than May.

Reactions: Koronin
I have no idea what the governmental structure is in Spain, but one would assume that the issues over the years with Catalan and Basque separatism have at least established a tradition of seeking autonomy for regions. In the US, the federal government is not able to dictate what the states do for public health. Spain may have a stronger central government, but even if it does, the local concerns are going to have to be taken into consideration, especially because of the issues of separatism. It may well turn out that the regional concerns are trumped by their economic interest in having the Vuelta happen, but I don't think it is at all unreasonable to say that politically, it might not be realistic for the Vuelta to happen because of negative public response.

Reactions: Koronin
I have no idea what the governmental structure is in Spain, but one would assume that the issues over the years with Catalan and Basque separatism have at least established a tradition of seeking autonomy for regions. In the US, the federal government is not able to dictate what the states do for public health. Spain may have a stronger central government, but even if it does, the local concerns are going to have to be taken into consideration, especially because of the issues of separatism. It may well turn out that the regional concerns are trumped by their economic interest in having the Vuelta happen, but I don't think it is at all unreasonable to say that politically, it might not be realistic for the Vuelta to happen because of negative public response.

If it has to be raced without fans I'm not sure where the economic interest is. There is apparently talk the current lock down in Spain could be extended through the end of May.

I'm not sure why public unhappiness would not be taken into account by local and provincial elected officials.

I watch a lot of documentaries about the WWII and I can tell you that I have been impressed at the technology developed by humans when they are under a lot of pressure. Especially when they have everyone around the world working on this stuff. I have read that we might not find a vaccine until next year. Or a drug that will stop the virus from killing us. I just find it hard to believe that by the second semester we wouldn't have anything to at least have some control. But again I am not an expert. Just expressing my random thoughts.

If it has to be raced without fans I'm not sure where the economic interest is. There is apparently talk the current lock down in Spain could be extended through the end of May.

I'm not sure why public unhappiness would not be taken into account by local and provincial elected officials.

Right because the fans who can stand for free at the roadside bring in the money for cycling bodies.

TRENDING THREADS