• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Would be weird if you could transmit it but couldn't find it tbh.
I don't know about the specifics in this case but many viruses can only be detected by test after a couple of days or even weeks in some cases like HIV or hepatitis. It sounds like this virus can be detected via mucus swaps while some other viruses like the ones I mentioned are detected via antibodies present in the blood. Now again I don't know anything about it but for sure if someone has been in contact with an infected person in the last 48 hours but isn't tested positive I would not bet on them not being infected.

I don't know about the specifics in this case but many viruses can only be detected by test after a couple of days or even weeks in some cases like HIV or hepatitis. It sounds like this virus can be detected via mucus swaps while some other viruses like the ones I mentioned are detected via antibodies present in the blood. Now again I don't know anything about it but for sure if someone has been in contact with an infected person in the last 48 hours but isn't tested positive I would not bet on them not being infected.
Yeah, but it needs to multiply before it can spread. And once it can leave the body, you should be able to find it generally. It's just that antibodies are a shite mechanism for detection cause of the huge delay in the acquired immune system.

In Milan they have already lifted the limitations on pubs and restaurants and reopened museums and other activities despite cases number skyrocketed today (even with reduced testing compared to some days ago) because they can't sustain economically a lockdown or heavy limitations there, they are even talking of having open doors for Juventus-Inter so we can assume also the risk of cancellation for Sanremo is reduced sharply.

It does appear that in China and Italy there were several instances of people testing negative who actually then went on to exhibit symptoms and then testing positive when retested. I don’t know if this has been sorted out now though.

Cycling season may already be over.
I had the normal flu and tested negative. But the way I knew it was because my wife had the flu already with symptoms and tested positive. So for Corona-virus must be similar if not worse.
For the flu they say it takes 3-4 days before you develop symptoms and that how I got it from my wife. But false negatives are very typical with the flu.

Reactions: LaFlorecita
The World Health Organisation - "people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the virus"

Half the peloton is asthmatic. This isn't an overreaction.
Big difference between regular asthma and exercise induced asthma which the professional riders have.

Everything will be done on a case by case basis - The problem with this virus is that few suffer any symptoms, so initially you only find out if someone is ill and then you backtrack with tests - There will be clusters/outbreaks in most countries, so whether races continue will be decided on a case by case basis - Finally expect the virus to lose it's strength when the weather warms up in the northern hemisphere.

The sneezefest has begun, e'?

No worries... Lots of garlic, moonshine and honey (if you like).
Garlic shall make you quarantined, moonshine that you don't care about it and the honey to make it all sweeter.

Because of the distinctive effects of the treatment, please consult your physician or pharmacist.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS