• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There is one thing about this situation that is particularly bad for me. Even when we will get over this pandemic, there will be a lot of people that will have to deal with the fact that they "killed" someone close. The family member, neighbor, friend. And although it is not the truth as it is the virus who is killing it will be difficult to handle the situation mentally.
As Roku said. sport is meaningless if the lives of our closest ones are in stakes.

Now we have a chance to stop, slow down and think about what is important.

Reactions: Roku and Joelsim
I read it somewhere but didn't verify the source. Thanks for your reply it prompted me to check. Well I guess we are all looking for hope, I guess I was overly optimistic. But then again, the global impetus to perfect a vaccine for coronavirus is far greater than for any prior disease in human history. So I am hopeful the predictions of 18 months or more will prove to be pessimistic.
It won’t take 18 months, that’s the normal period as opposed to when the world’s in economic meltdown period.

Reactions: Cookster15
Perico's post has no relationship to the upcoming transfer market which will undoubtedly be affected by COVID19. In fact the derogatory term LRP referring to Porte or fetching water bottles for Nibali has no impact on his upcoming transfer negotiations.
Perico's post was about the effect on Porte of losing a race in which he was to have been team leader, and only having domestique duties in GTs this year. If you really think that "bottle carrying" as a phrase for describing domestique duties and LRP as an identifier for Porte are childish and unsuitable, you really are going to have to take a large proportion of contributors here to task.

Do we really know what they did exactly?
This is an ignorant question so don't get me wrong but with a totalitarian government they have more flexibility in working with the rules.

They apparently did two things, much easier, if only possible, for a government with such complete control. One, the lockdown. Hundreds of millions of people were not allowed to leave their homes at all, except for one person per household, occasionally, to buy food. And deeper in the lockdown, even that was stopped, at least at some places, in favor of government delivery.

Second, China has a network of cameras all over the country, and the government has access to the location of everyone with a cell phone. Combining those, they could zero in quickly on people who tested positive, and trace the people they came into contact with, allowing them to focus testing and other resources on the most likely cases.

As much as China blew it early in the outbreak, I'm very impressed with the way they've stopped the spread of the virus, assuming the figures the government is releasing are correct.

Second, China has a network of cameras all over the country, and the government has access to the location of everyone with a cell phone. Combining those, they could zero in quickly on people who tested positive, and trace the people they came into contact with, allowing them to focus testing and other resources on the most likely cases.

Much of it probably automatised also, with facial recognition algorithms and data connections with GPS/WeChat and the cameras. Real scary stuff in most circumstances. Even if there was a willingness to do things like that, Europe just doesn't have those capabilities or the secret police manpower to use them.

There is one thing about this situation that is particularly bad for me. Even when we will get over this pandemic, there will be a lot of people that will have to deal with the fact that they "killed" someone close. The family member, neighbor, friend. And although it is not the truth as it is the virus who is killing it will be difficult to handle the situation mentally.
As Roku said. sport is meaningless if the lives of our closest ones are in stakes.

Now we have a chance to stop, slow down and think about what is important.

I don't think that people should feel that way, at least in most of these instances. Older people die regularly, and older people die of common flues regularly, which in many cases were probably passed on by someone much younger, who spends more periods of time amongst mass gatherings than they do. When should we live in total lockdown? And when should we not? And should there be a better balance between these extremes?

Much of it probably automatised also, with facial recognition algorithms and data connections with GPS/WeChat and the cameras. Real scary stuff in most circumstances. Even if there was a willingness to do things like that, Europe just doesn't have those capabilities or the secret police manpower to use them.

In any circumstances I would say. I hope that after this things can return to a kind of normality which allows us a discussion under which circumstances we as societies are willing to give up which rights. That could become a very heated debate, but I think we better have it.

I don't think that people should feel that way, at least in most of these instances. Older people die regularly, and older people die of common flues regularly, which in many cases were probably passed on by someone much younger, who spends more periods of time amongst mass gatherings than they do. When should we live in total lockdown? And when should we not? And should there be a better balance between these extremes?
I know they "should not" but a big part of the them will.
Going to ski to Italy late February or going to muzic concert or football match in March etc. was very selfish and bad idea and a lot of people will question themselves later. Did I have to go there?

I am sure China has been successful slowing thw sprwad ofb the virus but I simply do not beeieve they have stopped it.
Look at China. Only 20 new cases yesterday. First sportevents already being held. Europe is just a few months behind.

Whilst I do think China has slowed the spread of the virus I cannot believe it has flatlined as the official numbers suggest. I really think we need to take China's figures with a grain of salt. China's leadership was embarrassed by the outbreak from Wuhan and Chinese Communist Party will ensure the message to the world, including the compliant WHO is massaged to put the Chinese leadership in the best possible light.

A friend of mine who is a scientist at CERN told me that they prepare for a two to three month lockdown in Switzerland and France. That information came from the CEO who probably has a direct link to politics.

Another friend who works for a company that makes risk assessments for insurance companies in Houston was talking about a two month lockdown.

So yeah, cycling before july very unlikely.

Have to think the TDF is more likely to be postponed - I suspect that with no hope of the Olympics happening, there may be a window around Mid July or the beginning of October for the TDF to be organised - Seems like with the ITF reorganising the French Open to Mid Sep that sporting federations want to preserve their major events.

TRENDING THREADS