• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Now I'm really worried...

90870567_2942646645758670_1602523165097984000_o.jpg

This is the chance the French Government will take if feasible and the teams need a TDF for them to survive in 2021 - There has periodically been issues in the TDF such as Festina Affair etc,etc,etc - Gotta say you are a negative person.
To be fair Yaco, a few dopers is somewhat different to being the potential cause of thousands of deaths. Do you honestly think Macron will allow anything unless it’s deemed to be completely safe?

Reactions: Koronin
And my post clearly states if feasible - Doesn't change my opinion that you sprout negativity.

What does feasable mean?

The Tour de France can survive skipping a year even if every single Pro team goes bust. The riders are still there and will race whenever they get back.

Sports, as important as they are to many of us, are not essential to life. Schools are, jobs are and other things that will open up first, because they just matter more objectively. Tourism will be *** this year anyway; even if people could travel again in mid/late summer, they won't have any money or time to do so, the world economy is in the trash worse than any time before in my life (approaching 40). Nobody will take risks restarting cycling or even football before more essential services.

Why is that more worrying that anything else? They already postponed the Olympics, which technically had a few more months for everything to get back to "normal".
Not really. There were some olympic sports with qualifying competitions scheduled in May and June.
The French Open of Tennis was also postponed because of the qualifying round starting in mid May.
Next major bike race after the Giro not yet postponed/cancelled is still Dauphiné, due to start on the 31st of May. That will be the canary in the coal mine for the Tour.

What does feasable mean?

The Tour de France can survive skipping a year even if every single Pro team goes bust. The riders are still there and will race whenever they get back.

Sports, as important as they are to many of us, are not essential to life. Schools are, jobs are and other things that will open up first, because they just matter more objectively. Tourism will be *** this year anyway; even if people could travel again in mid/late summer, they won't have any money or time to do so, the world economy is in the trash worse than any time before in my life (approaching 40). Nobody will take risks restarting cycling or even football before more essential services.

Feasible mean possible - Whether you like it or not, the TDF is the biggest annual sporting event which is heavily supported by the French Government - They will do their best to have an edition in 2020.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
Feasible mean possible - Whether you like it or not, the TDF is the biggest annual sporting event which is heavily supported by the French Government - They will do their best to have an edition in 2020.

Yes, i know the word, lol, i do speak english. I meant in the context of this crisis, although it was more a rethorical question, since nobody can really predict how things are going. Theoretically, what would the corona situation have to look like for the Tour to be possible? Let's say in mid may we are where Wuhan is today, could they organise the Tour? I doubt it, and that's probably best-case.

Yes, i know the word, lol, i do speak english. I meant in the context of this crisis, although it was more a rethorical question, since nobody can really predict how things are going. Theoretically, what would the corona situation have to look like for the Tour to be possible? Let's say in mid may we are where Wuhan is today, could they organise the Tour? I doubt it, and that's probably best-case.

I have no expectations that the TDF will be held on it's original date - I am thinking a date in Mid to Late August because even if you reach a Wuhan situation in Mid May, there will still be small spot-fires for months to come - But ultimately all countries at some stage need to get the workforce ticking over.

Should we remember that ASO owns a 49% stake in Unipublic? I have half a mind that if any Grand Tour is going to run this year it will be the Tour. The Tour is the oldest and the biggest, and France has not been quite as badly affected so far as Italy and Spain have, although obviously that's very much a relative measure seeing as Italy and Spain have been two of the worst-hit areas of all. If the Tour can't run in its original slot, it will run in the Vuelta's and Unipublic and their host towns will be recompensed for the privilege. If it can't run in the Vuelta's slot, then realistically no Grand Tour will run this year. The Giro is pretty much certainly out - and even if it does run in like, October, it will be a shortened version as the Hungarian stages have been outright cancelled so it will be a sort of facsimile GT (while officially a GT, it will kind of feel a bit like Ciolek's Sanremo in hindsight) while Spain has the most time to recover before the race but it is in a bad way right now and has its relationship with the Tour - because you know full well if ASO can only run one of the Tour and the Vuelta, the one that's running is going to be the Tour.

Last edited:
Reactions: yaco and pastronef
To be fair Yaco, a few dopers is somewhat different to being the potential cause of thousands of deaths. Do you honestly think Macron will allow anything unless it’s deemed to be completely safe?
Also its impossible if all the medics and doctors are buzy. Another big problem for cycling is the international nature of the teams who will need to travel across borders unlike a national football league for instance

Reactions: Joelsim