• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I see the Euro championships are looking for a new venue. Anyone else think that no matter what other races are held all Nat/WC etc. should be canacelled this year as it is unfair on the riders like Mads who may miss out on wearing their kits in the big races and should be allowed keep them into 2021

Otoh, Mads himself has actually said that he doesn't really want to keep the kit, if it's because the World's is cancelled.

Reactions: Breezy1985
There were late reactions (the late closing of Bondi and other beaches, reluctance to cancel crowds at football codes etc) that would have been far more disastrous in a more densely populated nation.

Even New Zealand has a higher population density than Australia. This has been our saving grace for sure.
We did get very lucky on a a few things tbh and stuffed up a lot of others though we cancelled most crowds around the same time as Britian and America. Too many people were lax about, knew a bloke who had 20 knuckleheads on his balcony playing 2up on ANZAC day for example.

I do suspect many of the National Championships will be cancelled due to circumstances. What I'd like to see is the ones that do take place to allow last year and this year's champions to both wear the kit.

Why? If the championship is being held, then there is a new champion. Besides, it's not like the current (northern hemisphere) national champions haven't had any chances of showing their jerseys, several of them even did the Tour in them.
Sure, they won't be able to show their jerseys as much as usual, but neither will the southern hemisphere riders who won their jerseys earlier this year.

Oh, and in other news; people in Spain have been released!

Reactions: Cookster15
I don't really like the idea of the Giro and the Vuelta overlapping. On the other hand if there were only five days in between or so, probably no one would have done both anyway - not even Adam Hansen or Thomas De Gendt. The classics are further apart than usual. Well, it would be great to see over three months of cycling, no matter what the calender looks like.

I think it's good to see some of the planned shorter stage races have remained and it would also be good if races such as the Tour of Norway/Czechoslovakia go ahead to brode the program - I suspect a small cohort of riders will struggle for race days.

Why? If the championship is being held, then there is a new champion. Besides, it's not like the current (northern hemisphere) national champions haven't had any chances of showing their jerseys, several of them even did the Tour in them.
Sure, they won't be able to show their jerseys as much as usual, but neither will the southern hemisphere riders who won their jerseys earlier this year.

Oh, and in other news; people in Spain have been released!

I suspect the vast majority of national championships are going to be cancelled.

Yes, it was nice to see the Spaniards were finally released to be able to ride, walk, jog outside again.

I don't really like the idea of the Giro and the Vuelta overlapping. On the other hand if there were only five days in between or so, probably no one would have done both anyway - not even Adam Hansen or Thomas De Gendt. The classics are further apart than usual. Well, it would be great to see over three months of cycling, no matter what the calender looks like.

If they want to have both the Giro and Vuelta (if racing even happens) they don't have a choice. You can't really race either of them in Nov unless you force la Vuelta to complete change their route to it being in Southern Spain instead of Northern Spain.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
"Running or walking fast can take place between 6 am and 9 am or from 6 pm to 9 pm. Andorrans can shop or stroll between 9 am and 11 am or between 2 pm and 7 pm. The time between 11 am and 2 pm is reserved for vulnerable and elderly populations to get out of the house."

What if you're running to the shop? Or if you're trying to run, but you're in poor shape and it looks like a stroll? What if you're old and you early-morning running? Questions, questions.

• Wow
Reactions: Pantani_lives
I suspect the vast majority of national championships are going to be cancelled.

Yes, it was nice to see the Spaniards were finally released to be able to ride, walk, jog outside again.

If they want to have both the Giro and Vuelta (if racing even happens) they don't have a choice. You can't really race either of them in Nov unless you force la Vuelta to complete change their route to it being in Southern Spain instead of Northern Spain.

How much snow do you imagine falls in Spain in November?

How much snow do you imagine falls in Spain in November?

Northern Spain's mountains get snow. Don't know how much, but we are talking about the Pyrenees. According to many of the Spaniards who I've seen talking about some of the mountain passes being closed in November and if you want to race there in Nov you'll need skis. I suspect the leaked calendar would be doable though. Many are saying that it needs to be finishing at the end of Oct to maybe the first week of November or it needs rerouted through southern Spain.

It appears the pros in Spain have finally gotten some clarity to the rules. In Spain pro athletes may train outside outside of the hours that had been given for out door training and may train outside their municipality but may not leave the province in which they live.

Looks like a bit more certainty will get involved soon. I support such outcome and feel that this races do need to happen.

P.S. One thing is to be cautious, when that makes sense. Another thing is to prolong such measurements to times when they don't make sense anymore.
That's one crazy calender. I'm honestly not sure whether I prefer this over a drastically reduced season. Like sure, I want to watch the giro again, but I don't know whether it will even feel like watching the giro if it's in october, the field might be really bad and meanwhile people will concentrate on other races because big classics are going on at the same time. But oh well, if it helps the races and the teams survive, I guess I'll take it.

idk how many Giro contenders also can win a major classic? In recent times, the list is only Nibali and he's unlikely to win an Ardennes classic. Holding Fleche-Wallonne at the same time as Binckbank is a stranger decision.

Also, IMHO the biggest problem for the Giro and Vuelta will be remaining COVID-free. I think the Tour can achieve this because there is a lot of time to prepare and implement testing/isolation procedures leading to the race. No one is going do this for the Giro or Vuelta.

The Dauphiné? When the TdF will already need an exception to sneak a start a few days before the ban on sports in France is lifted? Doesn't seem likely. Given the massive disparities in how riders are able to prepare at the moment (and trying to have no crowds) we know it's more about the economics than the sporting aspects so what use is a preparation race to anyone really?

Considering the importance of the TdF to all the team's business models honestly I'd just be looking to give them some certainty and accept that this whole season has a huge asterisk over it whatever happens - just book 21 motor circuits and/or little-used air fields around France and put some races on behind closed gates with minimal staff. 99% of casual tv viewers that only ever watch the Tour won't know the difference and hopefully it allows as many sponsors as possible to hang around for next year. All being well they can contrive a way for Alaphilippe to win the overall and everyone goes home happy.

6VSCXbUC2g87Z47VSwvKt3-970-80.png

idk how many Giro contenders also can win a major classic? In recent times, the list is only Nibali and he's unlikely to win an Ardennes classic. Holding Fleche-Wallonne at the same time as Binckbank is a stranger decision.

Also, IMHO the biggest problem for the Giro and Vuelta will be remaining COVID-free. I think the Tour can achieve this because there is a lot of time to prepare and implement testing/isolation procedures leading to the race. No one is going do this for the Giro or Vuelta.

The only really two GT GC contenders who can win any of the monuments are Nibali and Valverde. Likely Nibali goes to the Giro while Valverde goes to la Vuelta. No idea what else Nibali is planning on racing, but Valverde basically said Tour, Worlds, Vuelta. Sounded like he wasn't going to race anything other than those 3 races.

I don't see the point of the Nationals being right before the Tour. I doubt that will happen. You can have teams isolated in France and ride the Dauphine beforehand. But you can't have the same riders in Nationals a week before, riding with a bunch of riders and mixing with other people who won't be involved with the Tour a week before the Grand Depart. That will be too risky.

TRENDING THREADS