• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Here is the thing. For the virus to spread succesfuly you either need a close contact that lasts more than just a couple of seconds or a closed space where air is not flowing like outside. So the chances of a spectator standing (or running) by the course geting a cyclist infected are very very small (unless someone caughed directly into a riders face). I agree that they should close the start and finish areas for massive crowds. Small amount of people shouldn't be a problem. A lot of tourist destnations (beaches etc.) have been filling up for two months now and I don't see why 200 spectators of a race would be more likely to spread the virus than 2000 people on the beach... so as long as the keep the riders in their "bubbles" racing should go forward. Because it is inevitable that the amount of cases will go up. The decrease in May-June was due to the total lockdown in March-April. But I think a lot of countries realised that repeating that scenario would be utopical and far more harmful than the virus itself. So I think that even if the number of cases rises again (in a controled fashion ofcourse), they shouldn't just stop everything again. They have protocols in place and I believe that it is enough to keep the racing going.

So the chances of a spectator standing (or running) by the course geting a cyclist infected are very very small (unless someone caughed directly into a riders face). A lot of tourist destnations (beaches etc.) have been filling up for two months now and I don't see why 200 spectators of a race would be more likely to spread the virus than 2000 people on the beach... so as long as the keep the riders in their "bubbles" racing should go forward.
The chance of spectators infecting a rider might not be so big, but the chance of spectators infecting each other is very big.

Silly argument - Spectators who are the community can infect each other every day Doubt a cycling race with limited spectators will cause a rash of infections.
Let’s hope that race crowds do remain limited, as it looked at Strade Bianche. But the short video clip of the Tour d ‘Ain stage 1 finish looked like a typical finish line crowd. Even if the odds of outdoor transmission are very low, standing shoulder to shoulder ( and people leaning over your shoulder) for an hour or more along finish line barricades would seem to up the odds a bit. Unless it turns out outdoor transmission isn’t possible at all.

The virus is highly infectious but if just by standing next to an infected person, one would get it , the cases would be incredibly higher. First the virus has to come out of the body in sufficient quantities through either coughing, sneezing or (loud) talking/screaming which is an occasional event. As long as social distancing & face protection(mask Shield) is used, i believe everybody can be safe and the virus can be eliminated.

Eurosport reporting, in Piemont commentary, that the World Championships have been cancelled, Swiss govt insistence.

Will they dust off the UAE plan?
Edit: Apparently not: Lappartient says they are looking for a similar parcours in Europe for the same date.

Last edited:
The number of cases is worrying, but could be explained by a higher level of testing. Certainly that's the case here in The UK.

Aren't hospital admissions a more important indicator?

Again, here in the UK, more younger people are catching the virus now, but hospital admissions remain low as they are less likely to develop the worse symptons

The number of cases is worrying, but could be explained by a higher level of testing. Certainly that's the case here in The UK.

Again, here in the UK, more younger people are catching the virus now, but hospital admissions remain low as they are less likely to develop the worse symptons
Same in Italy.
Full lockdown is an option only if hospitals start suffering again. Until the number of critical cases stays low the situation is manageable.

In the US currently it's those younger people who are the ones putting pressure on the hospital systems. Also hospitalizations and then deaths are lagging indicators.

I donot think it will stop as the community spread and asymptomatic people are in huge number. Here in couple of cities, serological tests are indicating 25-50% people have antibodies. This means it will progress to herd immunity and survival of the fittest. This is a social disease i.e. a person will most likely spread to their relatives and acquaintances resulting in suffering and loss. The only way is to wear mask, face shield, practice hygiene till herd immunity is achieved ( probably till mid next year) to avoid transmission to the vulnerable. Even if there is 90% compliance with mask, and the disease is eliminated in a country, some non compliant idiot will come from outside and it starts all over again(eg. New Zealand).

I wonder if ASO and UCI are well enough prepared for possible problems at the Tour. What will they do if someone has a positive corona test, e.g. someone who works for a team? With the rising numbers in France I'm still not too confident that all the stages will actually take place...

Meanwhile Hugo Houle from Astana had an asymptomatic positive and went into quarantine...

TRENDING THREADS