• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wonder if ASO and UCI are well enough prepared for possible problems at the Tour. What will they do if someone has a positive corona test, e.g. someone who works for a team? With the rising numbers in France I'm still not too confident that all the stages will actually take place...

Meanwhile Hugo Houle from Astana had an asymptomatic positive and went into quarantine...

Everyone who works in the tour bubble is tested before the race - Positive test and you re out of the race - The protocols are working fine at the moment.

Lappartient a couple of weeks ago said that they have to pull out only the positive.

Anyway the real problem is how much the virus is spreading outside the "bubble" and how much people didn't give a f**k about masks and social distancing, just look at the celebration of the PSG win on the Champs Eliseé for reference.
France really is a mess atm, over 5 times more daily new positives than Italy...

Italy is basically the country doing best at the moment, so that's not really a fair comparison. Most other countries in Europe are heading into a similar direction as France. Spain is a week or two ahead, Germany a week behind, but there are not many countries where it's looking particularly good right now.

Whether this means races can't happen is a different story though

Italy is basically the country doing best at the moment, so that's not really a fair comparison. Most other countries in Europe are heading into a similar direction as France. Spain is a week or two ahead, Germany a week behind, but there are not many countries where it's looking particularly good right now.

Whether this means races can't happen is a different story though
France has already catched Spain, yesterday 3.776 new cases in France and 3.715 in Spain (and looks like France among the big European countries is the one that test less).

Anyway i'm still pretty sure that the Tour will happen no matter what and at cost of shutting down the season entirely the day after the Champs Eliseé even if i fear that the Tour could be a disaster for the public health.

I would think going by infections per 100k makes more sense, and there are significantly less people living in spain (46 million compared to 66 in France) - but yeah, it's not looking great for sure. I also think the (big) races will happen, but they probably need to find ways to keep spectators away

Anyway the real problem is how much the virus is spreading outside the "bubble" and how much people didn't give a f**k about masks and social distancing, just look at the celebration of the PSG win on the Champs Eliseé for reference.

That brings me back to something I've been wondering for a while; could ASO simply decide to scrap the final stage? The middle of Paris will probably be the place where keeping big crowds away will be hardest - unless they implement a city-wide curfew - and it's not like the final stage of the Tour will make a big difference in the GC anyway. Sure, it'll be a bit weird to have the final podium ceremony on the top of La Planche des Belles Filles, but... hell... everything about this season is weird.

That brings me back to something I've been wondering for a while; could ASO simply decide to scrap the final stage? The middle of Paris will probably be the place where keeping big crowds away will be hardest - unless they implement a city-wide curfew - and it's not like the final stage of the Tour will make a big difference in the GC anyway. Sure, it'll be a bit weird to have the final podium ceremony on the top of La Planche des Belles Filles, but... hell... everything about this season is weird.

That's a very good idea, but it won't happen. Either the situation is so bad that they will have to cancel it "right where they stand", or they will force it through till the end.

It seems that Europe has taken a very different attitude to the virus now than what we have in Australia. Our problems are only mostly in our state of Victoria, but still, another state wouldn't even be considering the idea of holding a road race at the moment (although of course cycling is not as much a part of our culture as a sport). In Victoria (or more to the point Melbourne), we are down to just over 200 new cases a day, but still on rather strict restrictions. Any sport that is held at all here is not allowed any crowd at all.

Europe is very different from Australia and NZ. I read that about 40 percent of the new infections came from travellers in Germany. Most of them from Eastern Europe, especially Kosovo, also lots from Turkey. Lots of those people are not just travelling for pure fun, they are visiting their families. Europe is not one country, it's a continent with very many different governments, resources and open borders. 700 million inhabitants. Often very dense population (Germany: 233/km² (Netherlands 413:D, Australia 3,1?) People often work in one country but live across the border (e.g. Switzerland/ Germany, S. not even being in the EU). Also many countries need tourism as it sometimes accounts for more than 50% of their budget (well, that's an entirely different topic). You could do without big events and in my opinion they should try to avoid thousands of people at one event, but the goal to bring the cases down to zero in Europe is unrealistic if you don't want to give up everything that Europe is.

It seems that Europe has taken a very different attitude to the virus now than what we have in Australia. Our problems are only mostly in our state of Victoria, but still, another state wouldn't even be considering the idea of holding a road race at the moment (although of course cycling is not as much a part of our culture as a sport). In Victoria (or more to the point Melbourne), we are down to just over 200 new cases a day, but still on rather strict restrictions. Any sport that is held at all here is not allowed any crowd at all.

Which is far from the truth - Perth can currently have crowds of up to 30,000, Adelaide 15,000, Brisbane and Sydney around 5000 - What is right is Australia is adopting a 'Nanny State' attitude towards COVID. - Will add that the SA Govt wants to run the TDU as a NRS series race - It appears the current quarantine arrangements will stop the race in it's current format - I'll also add the various State Government's are prioritising politics over science.

Europe is very different from Australia and NZ. I read that about 40 percent of the new infections came from travellers in Germany. Most of them from Eastern Europe, especially Kosovo, also lots from Turkey. Lots of those people are not just travelling for pure fun, they are visiting their families.

In Spain it is similar.
In addition, here we must add as a risk factor for propagation our love for the social relationship and the the partys. Our problem is not the sport, it is the partys. ¡Viva la Fiesta!

Reactions: Koronin
death rate is way down. Either the therapeutics are working or the previous peak was 10-50 times higher than reported due to lack of testing and targeted testing

I'd assume (going by the people around me) that the older ones and those with serious conditions just stay at home now and try to avoid social contacts.

Regarding Warbasse I'm actually a bit surprised as well. These people will be so careful now, where do they catch it? Does anyone know about Dillier, whether it was probably truely positive or a false positive?

I'd assume (going by the people around me) that the older ones and those with serious conditions just stay at home now and try to avoid social contacts.

Regarding Warbasse I'm actually a bit surprised as well. These people will be so careful now, where do they catch it? Does anyone know about Dillier, whether it was probably truely positive or a false positive?

It's very possible. We've had two NASCAR drivers miss 1 race each with a positive test and then the following week have 2 negative tests at least 24 hours apart which allows them to come back to competing.

Despite strict regulations and requirements within the team structure, not every young athlete is going to “contain” themselves socially. Positives that have popped up in U.S. baseball demonstrate that. I’m not saying that’s behind Warbasse’s positive, but probability wise, we should expect to see a quite small % of riders get exposed either via their family or socializing outside the team, particularly during training blocks.

TRENDING THREADS