• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 67 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I see a lot of riders spitting constantly. If one of those riders is infected, it could be disaster of those around him

Droplet transmission from screaming fans might be the bigger risk. Then tired riders cooped up on a team bus at the end of the day, immune systems battered.

I must admit I didnt expect to see any GTs this year. Loving watching the Tour, and just hoping it reaches Paris. The one thing we know from February and March is that the situation can change completely in 5 days, once virus transmission grows exponentially

If stage 8 showed us anything, it is that the Tour has to completely close the roads for spectators on the big mountains.

The way it was Saturday, is just asking for riders to get infected.

Completely irresponsible by ASO, that the Corona protocols are not better.

I also believe the french police should be WAY more proactive.
Yes, I totally agree, but even the policemen didn't have their noses covered...

I'm more and more convinced that in France they literally don't give a f**k about the virus, and that starting from the government, so there isn't any risk of the Tour being stopped unless something like half the peloton tests positive, just a couple of days ago when asked about the Tour the prime minister basically said that the show must go on.

I'm more concerned for the Giro because despite the way lower numbers in Italy the government is a lot strictier and at the first mountain with fans going out of control i can easily see them going mad and shutting everything down.

• Sad
Reactions: RedheadDane
I'm more and more convinced that in France they literally don't give a f**k about the virus, and that starting from the government, so there isn't any risk of the Tour being stopped unless something like half the peloton tests positive, just a couple of days ago when asked about the Tour the prime minister basically said that the show must go on.

I'm more concerned for the Giro because despite the way lower numbers in Italy the government is a lot strictier and at the first mountain with fans going out of control i can easily see them going mad and shutting everything down.

But wouldn't the weather and later date automatically make it less likely that people would pilgrimage to the mountains? Also, if they are strict enough, they can just close off the mountain roads.

This is honestly getting a bit tiring. "Okay, so far there have been no cancellations but the NEXT race must certainly be in big, big danger."

Reactions: RedheadDane

The Italians are actually strict enough to enforce things and fine the fans.
Yeah, that's also my impression when it comes to France, they don't even try to make people stick to the rules.

so there isn't any risk of the Tour being stopped unless something like half the peloton tests positive.

most definitely. I'm checking French press daily for the news from the Tour, and there has not been a single word about a potential stop of the race or anything like that over the past two weeks. It's an absolute non-issue. All those reports come from international journalists hoping for drama

Reactions: richwallone
if you look at the graph "Daily Deaths"...

... it doesn't seem like people are dying by the thousands on the streets
hysteria is sometimes the most dangerous

Since Corona tests are not accurate and you can even have a virus and don't know about it, i think it would be horrible to send the whole team home because 2 team personal are positive. If that will happen, the whole TdF will loose it's credibility and winning it would mean nothing. Do you imagine leading TdF before last week and two mechanics get positive Corona result and the whole team goes home.

if you look at the graph "Daily Deaths"...

... it doesn't seem like people are dying by the thousands on the streets
hysteria is sometimes the most dangerous

I think what has happened is that the first wave already wiped out the majority of those who are most vulnerable. Either that, or this is a slightly different strain of the virus which is not as deadly as before.

Mads Pedersen did an interview with Danish media yesterday, he said (my paraphrased translation):

"On the teams, we have to live in bubbles and people are getting tested constantly, even when we are in the bus we need to wear masks.

Then we see the French PM, or whoever, say that he saw no problems in the pictures from the race, it's quite odd.

On the last climb there was a great deal of spectators.
Many pull down the mask when they are shouting. It makes no sense, they stand there with the mask on, but when they want to cheer, they pull it down. It's ridiculous.

Something has to be done about the barriers towards the top of climbs.
It doesn't work that people can stand close to us and shout into our heads with 1 k to the top."

- Maybe the problem is, that nobody cheered when the French PM came by? :D

I think what has happened is that the first wave already wiped out the majority of those who are most vulnerable. Either that, or this is a slightly different strain of the virus which is not as deadly as before.

Other factors are that it's mostly young people getting it now, we're better at treating it, and hugely increased testing.

In The UK we're at about 3000 cases a day. In April, that led to about 1000 deaths 3 weeks later. Now, it will be much less than a 100, probably more like 30.

well, it's not like it jumps from one person to each other that easily. In Germany for example the official Corona app only notifies you of a potential threat when you stayed within 1.5m of an infected person for 15 minutes or more.

Sure, it would be better if they were wearing their masks properly, but the risk of getting infected this way is still minimal.

Reactions: Ludwigzgz
May 16, 2015
Visit site
well, it's not like it jumps from one person to each other that easily. In Germany for example the official Corona app only notifies you of a potential threat when you stayed within 1.5m of an infected person for 15 minutes or more.

Sure, it would be better if they were wearing their masks properly, but the risk of getting infected this way is still minimal.
I think german corona app is a bad reference. Obviously more time more risk, so minimal risk is still risk. realistic risk? in this case i think YES.

• Angry
Reactions: Ludwigzgz
Yes, they should definitely wear their masks and not come that close and the police/ state should have done much more to prevent situations like these, I could hardly believe what I saw, but I think the risk is still very low. It's not like 10% of France are infected and if they are they do not necessarily transfer the virus, though I have to admit shouting directly into someones face sounds like your best shot to infect anyone outdoors.

Also, and this seems like it is an unknown factoid to many, those people have to be infected themselves in order to be able to infect others...

Reactions: Ludwigzgz and yaco

I agree that the risk of riders catching the virus from fans is minimal. However, I’m guessing the “1.5 m for 15 min” needed for probable transmission calculation did NOT take into account the circumstance of one person screaming at the top of their lungs directly into the face of another person (the rider), who at that moment are gulping in every molecule of air they can possibly get into their lungs! Certainly doesn’t sound ideal if you’re trying to stay healthy!

Yes. ITV said it is a mixture of rider and backroom staff/race support staff, but that they are only repeating rumours (although they do sound confident in what they are saying). Results to be announced tomorrow.

Whatever your opinion on the validity of the rules, to not cover your face while screaming support for riders or refusing to wear a mask (as Nans Peters reportedly did for his stage victory interview) is the height of idiocy for someone who cares about the sport.

Reactions: search
If it is one of the riders I would heavily blame it on the people on the side of the road on the mountains. It is a long stretch. However there is nothing it can be done now. :disappointed:

Having said that, I really hope that they are false positives like it has happened in the past.

TRENDING THREADS