• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It would be a strange sight seeing the riders ride over cobble sectors like Carrefour de l'Arbre without any spectators. I wonder if this could have a substantial impact on the way the riders tackle the cobbles without those walls of noice and cheers. At least there won't be any risks of crashing into spectators, getting tangled up in a flag or being sprayed with beer.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
It would be a strange sight seeing the riders ride over cobble sectors like Carrefour de l'Arbre without any spectators. I wonder if this could have a substantial impact on the way the riders tackle the cobbles without those walls of noice and cheers. At least there won't be any risks of crashing into spectators, getting tangled up in a flag or being sprayed with beer.

Echelons on the cobbles!

No fans means no barriers, and no barriers means they will ride on the edge of the road, avoiding the worst of the cobbles. A neutered PR?

im depressed. Man they just waited too long with the whole restart and pushed the dates too far back... right into the 2nd wave. Just poor planning

It's easy to be armchair quarterback after the fact;)

But I agree they could have easily restart the season around beginning of June although I think many countries still had restrictions on movement of people and organizing of large scale sports events... IIRC, they started to ease them off around mid- to late June.

I'm not so scared. Riders getting confectious diseases is unlikely to be a new thing, and it's not like this is infinitely more contagious than the common cold or the flu, and we quite rarely see entire pelotons (or indeed large parts) falling victim to the same disease during a race...