• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

I'm hoping sometime in late spring to early summer we start seeing something starting to resemble normal. Also it appears J&J should get approval (EUA) in the US sometime in Feb and Novavax will likely get EUA in the UK and Europe (maybe also South Africa) within the next two months and maybe a month or two after that in the US and I would expect the EU as well. Novavax can get EUA in the UK faster than the US due to where their trial currently is. Their trial in the US is behind and much larger than the UK trial. So there are more vaccines coming and that should mean more supply coming.

Reactions: Poursuivant
Yes, especially in Melbourne!

Although it appears that our economy has handled the lockdowns okay.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Australian Open tennis. We tend to freak out if we hear about just ONE new case, so it's likely that there will be some drama during it.

I would imagine. But haven't all the participants been imprisoned since they got to Australia?

I have to say that I look forward to that tournament. Seeing a sport event with spectators during our own unnecessarily long lockdown will be something to cherish when all the cycling continues to be pushed forward.

It must really have been a drag to live in Australia the past year.
I think all Australians are very thankful they don't live in Europe or America during the pandemic. Vaccine dispersal is about reopening the economy not just health (or bike racing). But we have some states who even closed borders to neighboring states - it became political. Also, no country is free of the disease yet. A new outbreak can spread out of control very quickly hence the 2nd and 3rd waves around the world. Even Beijing and now Hong Kong I hear. Until vaccines are widely dispersed nobody can be complacent.

I would imagine. But haven't all the participants been imprisoned since they got to Australia?

I have to say that I look forward to that tournament. Seeing a sport event with spectators during our own unnecessarily long lockdown will be something to cherish when all the cycling continues to be pushed forward.
Imprisoned :D? 14 day compulsory quarantine usually in a very comfortable hotel. Not sure prison is the right word? :) . The state of Victoria had a second wave of the virus not shared with any other state because of a leak from quarantine that spread through Melbourne.

"Imprisoned." :p

Yeah, I guess they have.

I am not sure how many spectators will be at the tennis. I have gone to it a number of times, but a main drawcard of that was the level of freedom associated with it; wandering from court to court and just taking in the general atmosphere. Personally I am not interested in going if masks are mandatory and you cannot sit where you like, etc; defeats the purpose of going to the event imo.

"Imprisoned." :p

Yeah, I guess they have.

I am not sure how many spectators will be at the tennis. I have gone to it a number of times, but a main drawcard of that was the level of freedom associated with it; wandering from court to court and just taking in the general atmosphere. Personally I am not interested in going if masks are mandatory and you cannot sit where you like, etc; defeats the purpose of going to the event imo.

Just go so it looks pretty for me! Maybe make a sign with my name if you need a sense of purpose (and remember the last letter is a q, not a g, which everybody seems to confuse!)!

• Haha
Reactions: gregrowlerson
Days 1 to 8 of the OZ Open can have attendances of 30,000 while days 8-14 can have 25,000 - I am surprised the attendance is not even higher - After all they had an infected person attend the Women's World Cup final in March, just as COVID hit with an attendance of 85,000 while the Boxing Day Cricket test had an infected person with a crowd of 30,000 - No person from these two events were cross-infected.

TRENDING THREADS