• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 92 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Despite the increasing incidence in France, too, Paris-Roubaix will not be postponed on April 11th. "We have received the approval. The race will take place with very strict conditions and with a hygiene concept, similar to Paris-Nice. That means with very great restrictions for the spectators. It may be that some cobblestone passages are not made accessible to the public confirmed Claude Rach, who is also responsible for hygiene concepts at ASO.

Despite the increasing incidence in France, too, Paris-Roubaix will not be postponed on April 11th. "We have received the approval. The race will take place with very strict conditions and with a hygiene concept, similar to Paris-Nice. That means with very great restrictions for the spectators. It may be that some cobblestone passages are not made accessible to the public confirmed Claude Rach, who is also responsible for hygiene concepts at ASO.
Understandable, but disappointing for us watching race broadcasts since some of the excitement is missing without the crowds but it also could mean riders be able to ride off the cobbles in the grass/dirt alongside the roads. Which means we need rain this year more than ever!!

Reactions: Koronin
  • Angry
Reactions: Krokro
Local authorities not confident Paris - Roubaix will be held

No. Just no. Two years in a row. I thought that we are in times when there is no cancelation of big international sport events no matter what.

Why do the authorities in that region hate cycling?

I guess it could be held a week after the World Championships where all the right riders should be in top shape, if it was to come to that.
I thought about a week before the WC, but you're right, it makes more sense a week after.
That's the weekend of Emilia, but I can't think of many riders who would race both anyway.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
I maybe wrong, but whilst one thinks of France as a cycling country, I feel that all they care about is the Tour (might be different in Brittany). I remember a Giro a few years ago raced through a French ski resort - there were hardly any fans out on the roadside, something mentioned by the commentator.
I'm not optimistic PR will happen next month, yet just over the border their races are happening - seemingly safely.

Reactions: Krokro
But a bike race or any outdoor sporting event with no crowds, has no cause or effect relationship impact for those in ICU.

Anyway if the race is postponed the week after the World's is fine.

Yeah, for us it's fine. (For me anyway, since I'm not such a P-R fan.) But for the riders it must be very annoying. Okay, the riders who want to do WC and P-R should not be to far from each other, typewise, but still, you target that race specifically, build your shape so that you peak for it, and then it's cancelled on short term again. Maybe you would have done your whole spring differently...

Yeah, for us it's fine. (For me anyway, since I'm not such a P-R fan.) But for the riders it must be very annoying. Okay, the riders who want to do WC and P-R should not be to far from each other, typewise, but still, you target that race specifically, build your shape so that you peak for it, and then it's cancelled on short term again. Maybe you would have done your whole spring differently...

I don't think you would have done anything differently, honestly.

Maybe you guys need to calm down and look at the bigger picture.
ICU capacity in Hauts de France is at 118%. Maybe a big, international bike race isn't the best idea just now.
Race with no huge crowd, only a few people living there going outside of their home and a peloton living in a secured bubble the whole season. What bigger picture?

(Based on the fact that there would not be huge crowd indeed)

TRENDING THREADS