• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Tour Down Under and the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race have now officially been cancelled for next year.

I don't particularly care for either event, but I don't understand the cancellation. January is still a few months away, and most of Australia is at least 60% first dose and 40% double dose now I believe, possibly higher. Anyway, surely by that time, anyone who wants to have been vaccinated could easily have been.

Adelaide (TDU) itself is also not a large city. A small number of covid contacted as a result of overseas introduction could be eradicated quite quickly, I imagine. Melbourne is a different size and story (we now have more than 1,000 cases a day despite 2 months of hard lockdown).

• Sad
Reactions: RedheadDane
I don't particularly care for either event, but I don't understand the cancellation. January is still a few months away, and most of Australia is at least 60% first dose and 40% double dose now I believe, possibly higher. Anyway, surely by that time, anyone who wants to have been vaccinated could easily have been.

Adelaide (TDU) itself is also not a large city. A small number of covid contacted as a result of overseas introduction could be eradicated quite quickly, I imagine. Melbourne is a different size and story (we now have more than 1,000 cases a day despite 2 months of hard lockdown).

Where I live, the general opinion - also among experts - is that we should not focus so much on "cases" any longer, but more on the number of hospitalized. But I can perfectly understand that in a country where the zero covid strategy is prevailing, all eyes are on the number of infected, even after most of the people who are at higher risk of serious infection have been vaccinated. That's basically why the zero covid thing is the wrong way of doing things: it's too hard to get back to normal again.

These postponements should not be necessary. Why doesn't Australia look to other parts of the Western world?

Where I live, the general opinion - also among experts - is that we should not focus so much on "cases" any longer, but more on the number of hospitalized. But I can perfectly understand that in a country where the zero covid strategy is prevailing, all eyes are on the number of infected, even after most of the people who are at higher risk of serious infection have been vaccinated. That's basically why the zero covid thing is the wrong way of doing things: it's too hard to get back to normal again.

These postponements should not be necessary. Why doesn't Australia look to other parts of the Western world?

Because we are ignorant. Or at least our media is (who controls us).

Fortunately this might not go on for too much longer. Melbourne is more than 80% single dosed and 50% double dosed now. 70% is anticipated in three weeks time, after which restrictions will apparently be reduced (though not lifted). It seems that at that point in time you still won't be able to enter another person's home (let alone go to a music concert). There will be freedom's for the fully vaccinated; just how full those freedom's are remains to be seen.

Somehow the South Australian Government can have two tennis tournaments in the first two weeks of January BUT are unable to run the TDU in the third week of January - Strange indeed!
Probably because the tennis community has shown to be a lot more flexible when exposed to the extreme COVID rules Australia has, last year when they requested athletes to be forced in an hotel room isolated from everyone else for two weeks after landing tennis players accepted and Australian Open was held (somewhat) regularly whereas WT teams refused saying was something crazy and that lead to the Tour Down Under cancellation.

Probably because the tennis community has shown to be a lot more flexible when exposed to the extreme COVID rules Australia has, last year when they requested athletes to be forced in an hotel room isolated from everyone else for two weeks after landing tennis players accepted and Australian Open was held (somewhat) regularly whereas WT teams refused saying was something crazy and that lead to the Tour Down Under cancellation.

Except they don't have the extreme COVID rules now in Australia - It's a missed opportunity by the South Australian Government.

Famous last words by me - So there is a possibility the TDU and Cadel Evans race could be held before the World's - I am unsure if you could fit them into the calendar, though you could make a case post-world's - Anyway, I suspect a few of the Aussie riders will finish their 2022 seasons in Australia.

Vuelta a San Juan will likely be cancelled.

Vuelta a San Juan will likely be cancelled.

Maybe that comment on the article is on to something. Iljo Keisse might be at the start if the race takes place, but he wont be in 2023 when he should have retired.

TRENDING THREADS