Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Tour Down Under and the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race have now officially been cancelled for next year.

I don't particularly care for either event, but I don't understand the cancellation. January is still a few months away, and most of Australia is at least 60% first dose and 40% double dose now I believe, possibly higher. Anyway, surely by that time, anyone who wants to have been vaccinated could easily have been.

Adelaide (TDU) itself is also not a large city. A small number of covid contacted as a result of overseas introduction could be eradicated quite quickly, I imagine. Melbourne is a different size and story (we now have more than 1,000 cases a day despite 2 months of hard lockdown).

Reactions: Danskebjerge
Reactions: RedheadDane
I don't particularly care for either event, but I don't understand the cancellation. January is still a few months away, and most of Australia is at least 60% first dose and 40% double dose now I believe, possibly higher. Anyway, surely by that time, anyone who wants to have been vaccinated could easily have been.

Adelaide (TDU) itself is also not a large city. A small number of covid contacted as a result of overseas introduction could be eradicated quite quickly, I imagine. Melbourne is a different size and story (we now have more than 1,000 cases a day despite 2 months of hard lockdown).
Where I live, the general opinion - also among experts - is that we should not focus so much on "cases" any longer, but more on the number of hospitalized. But I can perfectly understand that in a country where the zero covid strategy is prevailing, all eyes are on the number of infected, even after most of the people who are at higher risk of serious infection have been vaccinated. That's basically why the zero covid thing is the wrong way of doing things: it's too hard to get back to normal again.

These postponements should not be necessary. Why doesn't Australia look to other parts of the Western world?

Where I live, the general opinion - also among experts - is that we should not focus so much on "cases" any longer, but more on the number of hospitalized. But I can perfectly understand that in a country where the zero covid strategy is prevailing, all eyes are on the number of infected, even after most of the people who are at higher risk of serious infection have been vaccinated. That's basically why the zero covid thing is the wrong way of doing things: it's too hard to get back to normal again.

These postponements should not be necessary. Why doesn't Australia look to other parts of the Western world?
Because we are ignorant. Or at least our media is (who controls us).

Fortunately this might not go on for too much longer. Melbourne is more than 80% single dosed and 50% double dosed now. 70% is anticipated in three weeks time, after which restrictions will apparently be reduced (though not lifted). It seems that at that point in time you still won't be able to enter another person's home (let alone go to a music concert). There will be freedom's for the fully vaccinated; just how full those freedom's are remains to be seen.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS