• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ekimov and Russian Cycling Federation

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
According to this article, Viatcheslav Ekimov is running for President of the Russian Cycling Federation (Congress of Federation of Cycling Russia). The link is to a Google translation of an article written in Russian.

The original article is google-translated here.

Hopefully someone else can read Russian and shed more light on what's happening. The Google translation is a bit unclear.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure why it is such a big news, how someone would find it interesting enough to ask for more details.

He's basically saying step-by-step his political program, how he's gonna rebuild the sport and who's he going to work with.

Pretty boring stuff really.
________
Vapor brothers

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
rxgqgxnyfz said:
Are you're sure you don't confuse him with Tyler Hamilton?

Tyler is not running for head of USCF. I find the timing quite strange given that Floyd allegations about USPS team/Lance/Bruyneel would also tend to implicate Eki. Seems an odd time to launch one's political career right in the middle of a scandal.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Will he leave Shack for Katusha then?

Actually I don't care, slower day then normal now that all the bike races, world cup matches, and NCAA's are over, and it was the only question that I thought of.

Mar 10, 2009
topdogcycling.com
Beech Mtn said:
Hopefully someone else can read Russian and shed more light on what's happening. The Google translation is a bit unclear.

I'm fluent in Russian (my native language). What exactly is unclear in the article? It's translated reasonably well (for a machine translation anyway).

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Nikolai said:
I'm fluent in Russian (my native language). What exactly is unclear in the article? It's translated reasonably well (for a machine translation anyway).

I agree it is well translated.

The only question I have is will Eki have the national team use his doctor in Valencia or will they use a Russian one?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
amp300 said:

Yeah, that's what i thought of.

But there is no mention of "Katyusha" anywhere in his program, which means that russian federation doesn't meddle into the team's politics which is a very good thing i think (unlike cycling federation of Kazakhstan that thinks "Astana" is their own backyard to rule).

So i don't think he will be in Katyusha, but he definitely would have to leave Shack to start working as president of national cycling federation.

Update:

Or not. As it happens one can do both. Andrey Chmil works both in Katyusha and as president of cycling federation of Moldova.
________
SIDE EFFECTS OF PAXIL

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
amp300 said:
yep, that’s the only interesting angle here.

i don’t know if he has to join katusha but it seems reasonable to speculate he’ll leave the shack - either because he feels his job security will be gone with la/jb leaving the scene this year with la’s retirement or because he’ll draw a sufficient pay from the russian federation. i also know for a fact there was some friction between him and bruyneel over gusev firing and between him and the federation over gusev not selected for the beijing games

i find it interesting that eki decided to run for a political office after - and this is not well known - he turned down an offer to become a national team coach.

so to summarise, if eki is looking for a job he must be insecure in his present job or wants to step up or both.

Mar 10, 2009
topdogcycling.com
rxgqgxnyfz said:
Yeah, that's what i thought of.

Update:

Or not. As it happens one can do both. Andrey Chmil works both in Katyusha and as president of cycling federation of Moldova.

Yes because a 'conflict of interest' assumes a new meaning east of Poland. Tchmil, Konishev, Ekimov etc are just old buddies and do what they want. Eki's RadioShack job is probably a lot of fun but his new one in Moscow will be a serious business. Time to move on and play with the big boys (Itera).

TRENDING THREADS