• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ekimov suspends Zabel

One thing that fell out of the 1998 positves was the revelations about Zabel.

Of course Ekimov subsequently suspended Zabel from his role at Katusha.

Jorge Jaksche has come out and said that Zabel should keep his job.

Intersting comment on Zabels 2007 confession from Jaksche though

To be honest I just thought how the eff did he learn to cry? It was incredible. I didn’t get it. From knowing him I knew that it wasn’t true so it was like a German nomination for the Oscars for best actor.

One word changed :D from http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jaksche-a-truthful-erik-zabel-should-keep-his-job

While we should have little sympathy for Zabel it does seem rather ironic that Ekimov sacked him.

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
What a laugh. Ekimov is about the dirtiest rotten lying cheat this side of Lance Armstrong. A man who refused to help authorities in the Armstrong doping saga, a man who spat at anyone who dared break the Omerta, an utter digrace to cycling. A doping cheat who still hasnt come clean. He has no right to be involved in cycling, let alone be in a position to sack anyone who confesses to doping. The sooner they take away his fraudulently obtained Olympic Gold medals, the better.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bratam said:
What a laugh. Ekimov is about the dirtiest rotten lying cheat this side of Lance Armstrong. A man who refused to help authorities in the Armstrong doping saga, a man who spat at anyone who dared break the Omerta, an utter digrace to cycling. A doping cheat who still hasnt come clean. He has no write to be involved in cycling, let alone be in a position to sack anyone who confesses to doping. The sooner they take away his fraudulently obtained Olympic Gold medals, the better.
this
squared
^2

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Eki should really souspend himself
facepalm.gif

This is just sooo much fun

Loving the Stalin Hitler analogy. Eki sacking Zabel - you can't make this stuff up can you, the rats in the sack, biting and turning on each other to preserve themselves for a few more months.

I can see why I had withdrawal symptoms with no clinic. The story lines are better than anything on TV.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Bratam said:
What a laugh. Ekimov is about the dirtiest rotten lying cheat this side of Lance Armstrong. A man who refused to help authorities in the Armstrong doping saga, a man who spat at anyone who dared break the Omerta, an utter digrace to cycling. A doping cheat who still hasnt come clean. He has no right to be involved in cycling, let alone be in a position to sack anyone who confesses to doping. The sooner they take away his fraudulently obtained Olympic Gold medals, the better.

Lance's latest push is to get his Tour wins back because "Everyone was doing it"

I wonder if he will also campaign for Eki to give Tyler his Gold medal back?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Lance's latest push is to get his Tour wins back because "Everyone was doing it"

ziiiiinng.

cancer jesus ftw

Bratam said:

Oh, the irony.

It is stuff like this that explains why the Clinic will never die.

Dave.

Bratam said:

I'd just had to quote this. Because this is spot on.

Well, great....now I am ****ed off again. Just thinking about how many disgraceful people still involved with cycling really makes me upset and sad. The sport, the athletes and we fans deserves better.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

RR, you twittered something about Zabel having talked with the German NADA for two hours. What do you think he told NADA? Zabel says he quit doping in 2003. Everybody with half a brain knows he didn't.
Of course, if he spills the beans to NADA on his suppliers and the facilitators, I welcome that. But any ideas on why he's not coming clean all the way?

Good piece here (surprisingly from eurosport.de) about the farce that Zabel's second (non-)confession is:
http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs...aftes-geständnis-offene-fragen-105351839.html

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
RR, you twittered something about Zabel having talked with the German NADA for two hours. What do you think he told NADA? Zabel says he quit doping in 2003. Everybody with half a brain knows he didn't.
Of course, if he spills the beans to NADA on his suppliers and the facilitators, I welcome that. But any ideas on why he's not coming clean all the way?

Good piece here (surprisingly from eurosport.de) about the farce that Zabel's second (non-)confession is:
http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs...aftes-geständnis-offene-fragen-105351839.html

I doubt there will many details about Zabel's discussion with NADA in the public domain for a while but I think he will be detailed in what he says. Zabel is an interesting character....and I don't mean that necessary in a good way. I can't see him feeling the need to protect anyone like Jan and Lance do. I also think he cares about the sport that his son is making his way up in.

Much of the Telekom program is in the public domain but it would be interesting to hear about Milram

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:

he wont tell them much that would prevent his son being a pro cyclist. his son is right about there right now.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
When considering the "when", "why", and "how" riders from that era are confessiong (in full or partialy), I think it's important to consider their cultural backgrounds.

The word "omerta" is borrowed from Casa Nostra, after all.

Remembering that Ekimov grew up in Soviet Russia, it's easy to understand how his vow of silence is deep rooted. I'm not defending him by any means, but if there ever was a society where silence was golden and a confession led to overly harsh punishments, it was Soviet Russia.

I doubt we will ever hear a confession from Eki. Somehow, he managed to beat the tests and avoid having a former team-mate rat him out.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Nonsense.

Giving Armstrong credit for pioneering zipped lips is way more credit than he deserves. He may have broken new ground in the arenas of suing for slander and firing massage therapists, but he certainly didn't pioneer keeping one's mouth shut.

I am as disgusted with his actions as anyone else, but omerta existed long before LA.

bratam said:
what a laugh. Ekimov is about the dirtiest rotten lying cheat this side of lance armstrong. A man who refused to help authorities in the armstrong doping saga, a man who spat at anyone who dared break the omerta, an utter digrace to cycling. A doping cheat who still hasnt come clean. He has no right to be involved in cycling, let alone be in a position to sack anyone who confesses to doping. The sooner they take away his fraudulently obtained olympic gold medals, the better.
+111111111111111

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TheBean said:
Nonsense.

Giving Armstrong credit for pioneering zipped lips is way more credit than he deserves. He may have broken new ground in the arenas of suing for slander and firing massage therapists, but he certainly didn't pioneer keeping one's mouth shut.

I am as disgusted with his actions as anyone else, but omerta existed long before LA.
read the context in my reply.

i was replying to someone saying, this is an Eastern and Commie phenomena. or nostra cose

Escarabajo said:
Please explain.
Thanks.

Hi,

Because, with characters like Ekimov, we don't need Lance Armstrong around to continue the blatantly duplicitous behavior that reminds us of how entrenched the doping culture is in cycling.

In other words, if Ekimov is worried about having people who have aided and abetted organized doping, and its cover up, associated with the team then why doesn't he fire himself? Any team with Ekimov involved in a management role is intrinsically linked to doping.

Ekimov's spitting episode alone is a blatant example of cover-up and Omerta. Far worse than Zabel's distortion about the extent of his personal doping.

His firing of Zabel is almost comical.

Why did he hire Zabel in the first place? What experience and expertise was he looking for on Zabel's resume?

Is there doping in cycling?

I dunno, is Ekimov still in the sport?

Ekimov's management role promises hundreds, if not thousands, of new posting opportunities in the Clinic.

Dave.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Ekimov never ****ed positive. Ekimov never confessed.

Any implications of him doping are rumors. Those rumors may be true, but they are still rumors and suppositions.

People get canned for positive tests and/or confessions, not rumors.

I, for one, am glad that is the way it is. Imagine if any of us were called into our boss' office and fired on account of the rumor mill.

TRENDING THREADS