• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

El Pistolero : Please put your hands ON the DROPs of your bars when sprinting

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Exactly. He had no desire to win. The whole thing was an elaborate ruse.:rolleyes: EDIT: No, Jobiwan, for giggles. He raced for giggles.

Gawd. I have a very distinct love-hate relationship with the month of July.

Giggles, I get it. It all makes sense now! :D

jobiwan said:
Giggles, I get it. It all makes sense now! :D

Publicus said:
Exactly. He had no desire to win. The whole thing was an elaborate ruse.:rolleyes: EDIT: No, Jobiwan, for giggles. He raced for giggles.

Gawd. I have a very distinct love-hate relationship with the month of July.

u guyze must mean lulz not giggles

lulz.jpg

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
nowhereman said:
Not for nothing, but this is a garbage thread. YOU pointing out the lack of on the bike smarts in regards to a 6 time GT winner. You may be a brilliant rider yourself, but please.......
Over and outta here.:rolleyes:

Well said. Garbage thread is right.

AC is probably just testing how he feels right now after doing the Giro. The FACT that he animated the race and almost won this early in the TDF should throw some fear into his rivals.

Ask yourself how past Giro winners did at the TDF?

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Not the 1st time for AC hands positioning critics....

At this year's Giro, in one of the post-stage shows ( Processo alla Tappa)
Both Paolo Salvodelli and Vincenzo Nibali criticized Alberto Contador's descending skills, in particular Alberto's placement of his hands on the bars, adding that he can still improve this facet of racing.
Further into the show they spoke to Riis about this very thing, and Riis retorted that " Alberto knows how to ride a bike".

Not sure if dismissing the idea that riders, even a winning rider like Alberto, can have room left for improvements ....

On another note, but stage 4 related,
Was I the only guy who heard Phil say that Vinokourov lost the 2007 time trial due to taking "drugs" ??? ( this was in reference to Cadel being given that win in place of Vino's disqualification)

Mambo95 said:
No, he wasn't. Evans had a mechanical in the last 20km, chased back on to the bunch, got back up front, lead out the sprint and still won. I don't think there's any real doubt who the 'strongest' was today.
i think cuddle went to sleep tonigh thanking all the gods and ASO that this stage did not have one foot more or he not only would have lost yellow but stage too. Contador was arriving so fast at that point I thought cuddle had pulled an andy and lost his chain
(wink )

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Who?

Let's keep this thread on topic please.
There's a topic?

As a general observation it is particularly difficult at this time of the year to determine those who are stupidly posting for trollery and those who are just posting stupidly.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Dedelou said:
i think cuddle went to sleep tonigh thanking all the gods and ASO that this stage did not have one foot more or he not only would have lost yellow but stage too. Contador was arriving so fast at that point I thought cuddle had pulled an andy and lost his chain
(wink )

Umm. He wasn't in yellow nor did he win the jersey. And if the stage was a foot longer Cadel would have waited that much longer before starting the sprint. It's just hypothetical dreaming on your part. Contador was beaten. Deal with it.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
It's not like Contador needs any excuses for having been beaten. Evans is one of the very best riders in this kind of finish, so it's no wonder that he can often beat Contador on a hill like this.
lol- i recall evans spanking contador earlier this year on an uphill finish. or did the spaniards forget that?

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
rata de sentina said:
There's a topic?

As a general observation it is particularly difficult at this time of the year to determine those who are stupidly posting for trollery and those who are just posting stupidly.

go to page 1 , there IS a topic....maybe less poetry and more attentive reading will help.
And if that doesn't help, well maybe ignoring the forum at this time of the year will do the trick.:p

May 27, 2010
Visit site
yes contador is the best in the mountains and can ride super TT. But his sprinting isnt that great. he has a brilliant acceleration but that is different from sprinting. I dont think that many people are surprised of him losing to evans on a power sprint other than the contador fanboys.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
next thing I know from the contador fanboys they are gonna say something like he gave the stage win to evans. Because they think he is invincible and unbeatable and the giro fatigue wont affect him.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
We're talking about a guy who lost a sprint to Rojas. Obviously he knows there's no point in trying.

Enough with the Rojas thing. He's the current green jersey leader. And he doesn't win a lot because he's always sprinting against the best (Cav, Farrar, et. al)

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The Australians on here act almnost as weird as Cuddles voice. At this point I'd prefer Andrew for the win over Cuddles, just to watch the explosion of creepy Asutralians on here, it would be quite the character study!
These minor "setbacks" will just make Contador stronger when we get into the mountains, there aren't going to be any gifts. On the other hand Evans will crumble mentally long before his legs give out - that's the difference, and why I'm a "fan" of one and not the other.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I havent read any replies, so forgive me.

I believe Moo Moo and other riders adopt the position mentioned as they are trying to get as much body weight forward as they can, to adjust the centre of gravity. More pusing behind than pushing ahead if you get the idea.

I assume Moo Moo does this because of his relatively low upper body strength, when compared to chunkier riders. I dont think he has the upper body strength to really pull/push on the bars and transfer that energy, through the frame to the wheels. A cyclist can have good upper body strength without bulk, it just takes training. A good strong upper body, that comes from core strength is explained like this patented explanation of mine.

Ride a bike with a frame that flexes when you hammer it a big fat ole aluminium Cannondale, that is Contador. Now get a steel frame 18kg job and hammer that, it wont flex and you will go faster, further and over a k, you wont notice any extra effort on the heavier bike.

A

Anonymous

How has this thread made it to three pages?

as for contadors position. its whatever he feels comforatable with. Hes a climber, riding on the drops will not come naturally to him. If hes happy on the hoods (which is his normal position for accelerating up hills) then so be it.

Stupid thread. To which i have just contributed.

More fool me. :rolleyes:

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
happychappy said:
The Australians on here act almnost as weird as Cuddles voice. At this point I'd prefer Andrew for the win over Cuddles, just to watch the explosion of creepy Asutralians on here, it would be quite the character study!
These minor "setbacks" will just make Contador stronger when we get into the mountains, there aren't going to be any gifts. On the other hand Evans will crumble mentally long before his legs give out - that's the difference, and why I'm a "fan" of one and not the other.

Lots of truth there. Cadel is a pretty complicated character. You will notice, even when he wins, he has some tale of woe. If he has a sports psychologist, I recommend he give him the khyber, coz it hasnt worked since he left the mud. I could do a better job, I would turn him into the world champ in everything but the track.

He is emotionally very immature, very secluded, an only child. He is used to certain things and hasnt had a life outside of cycling.

I love him to bits, but he is his own worst enemy. he has had the luck of the irish, made some good moves, had huge support, but he is not happy, ohh it was hard, the wind, the rain, my chain, the crowd, the cars, the moon, the stars, geeze, he is morphing into Cav.

The day he says "I had a great stage, it was fantastic, I felt enormous, the team was outstanding, le directeur was superb, I feel on top of the world, bring on tomorrow" I will bare my backside in myers christmas windows, but I love him.

happychappy said:

most likely they will all vanish never to be heard from again. i remember hitch saying sportzchick started posting last year before the tour and got like 500 posts hyping evans and the very moment evans cracked she just disappeared only to appear again this year a couple days before the tour hyping evans again.

il falco and il squalo should remember that their bike handling skills completely out of this world and that most likely 99% of the riders don't feel as comfortable as them descending on the drops.

i mean look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuGzA_o0HBc&feature=related

how many riders in the current peloton do you people reckon have the bike handling skills to do that?