Emanuel Buchmann thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For Bora I guess the issue is that they have Sagan who is a bonafide superstar and Ackermann who is a consistent winner who are both there until the end of next year (that's as long as they have Buchmann for afaik?). Schachmann meanwhile is clearly the long term bet being there another 4 years. There's a lot of one day and sprint talent and assembling a great squad of stage hunters + consistent winners can do you well across a big chunk of the season and net you more positives than having a good GC rider who can be a bit anonymous.

Buchmann's best bet is to get out and win some stages or contest the polka dot jersey now. He was unlucky with the crash and what that did to his prep, but if he's not pulling out he needs to do more than just see the race out.
But the only thing anybody in Germany who's not already a hardcore cycling fan would care about is a Tour podium, best a possible win. Or maybe a Giro win. Schachmann would not be my best bet for that. It's either Buchmann or in the future Kämna or someone entirely else. Even if Schachmann would become world champion nobody would care. And they are very clearly going for the German audience. Apart from a few people hardly cared about Kittel and he has been pretty successful at the Tour.
Buchmann can try something, but I doubt he will win anything in this Tour. He's clearly only hanging on and since he's not punchy how is he going to win any of those stages? Dots would be the only possibility, but even for that he's probably not strong enough now, just as Pinot.

P.S: Among the people I know I am the only one who watches the Tour, not even daring to speak of other races. Maybe I am a bit blind here and there are groups of people in Germany who are different.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's strange though how Denk seems to have given up on Buchmann considering the value of a Tour podium by a German rider. For the next couple of years he is the best bet to do so while hardly requiring a miracle if he keeps his level.

They just signed Kelderman. So it´s very likely that they will try to improve their GC results in GTs. Not sure what happens to Majka but I think Buchmann will get another chance with full support of the team. Obviously not in this years Vuelta (Ackermann will bring his sprint train) but maybe in next years Giro.

I don't think that quote means that they lost faith in Buchmann. It was bad luck and I don't think Bora has much better options for the next two years.
Ackermann has a really bad shedule this year and they promised him the Tour de France next year, like they did for Bennett before he was leaving. So I am sure that Ackermann is at the Tour de France 2021 and he can definately win stages like Ewan and Bennett. They need more then one rider to support Ackermann and that's why they can't bring a big support team for Buchmann.
Buchmann should go for the Vuealta this year and try to make big impression there. I think he is allowed to ride the Tour next year then. Perhaps with a smaller support team for him. Hopefully he doesn't have bad luck again, because there will be pig pressure.

Ackermann has a really bad shedule this year and they promised him the Tour de France next year, like they did for Bennett before he was leaving. So I am sure that Ackermann is at the Tour de France 2021 and he can definately win stages like Ewan and Bennett. They need more then one rider to support Ackermann and that's why they can't bring a big support team for Buchmann.
The real question should be, are Ackermann and Sagan compatible to race the tour together?

If I was Bora-boss I would've planned this for Tour next year:
Ackermann + 2 lead outs
Sagan (tell him to not contest in sprints, bring break away Sagan)
Oss or Pöstlberger
Buchmann
Kämna
Muhlberger or Grosschartner

Tell Schachmann to focus on Ardennes/Giro + Olympics.

But the only thing anybody in Germany who's not already a hardcore cycling fan would care about is a Tour podium, best a possible win. Or maybe a Giro win. Schachmann would not be my best bet for that. It's either Buchmann or in the future Kämna or someone entirely else. Even if Schachmann would become world champion nobody would care. And they are very clearly going for the German audience. Apart from a few people hardly cared about Kittel and he has been pretty successful at the Tour.
Buchmann can try something, but I doubt he will win anything in this Tour. He's clearly only hanging on and since he's not punchy how is he going to win any of those stages? Dots would be the only possibility, but even for that he's probably not strong enough now, just as Pinot.

P.S: Among the people I know I am the only one who watches the Tour, not even daring to speak of other races. Maybe I am a bit blind here and there are groups of people in Germany who are different.

Yea absolutley, all germany cares about when it comes to cycling is if there is someone contending for a high overall placing in the Tour. Already this year you could find an update about Emus health in the news almost everyday. Sprint victories or a green jersey won't move the needle one bit.

May 2, 2019
The indirect quotation from Denk from the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung above says nothing special about Buchmann's future role in the team. The sporting leadership is aware of Buchmann's physical sensitivity. If everything does not go according to plan in preparation, there are consequences.
Denk also mentioned that Buchmann was the strongest after Roglic at Dauphine. He is still kinda young for a CG cyclist and he is german. I am not worried at all. I would really be happy to see Buchmann at the Vuelta ngl.

In the background the management seems to dream that Schachmann could perhaps become a driver for grand tours. Maybe difficult to imagine, but the statements go in this direction at least to try everything with Schachmann.

With Politt's transfer, Bora-Hansgrohe has a certain security through to look closer at Sagan's results in the next months. Sagan was the defining face of the team for many successful years as the extraordinary driver he is. But he is not getting any younger. Politt can be paid at least five times with Sagans salary, I would assume.

Kelderman and Politt are also useful when it comes to a TTT (Politt as well for leadout in sprints). It looks to me as if they want to position themselves more broadly in this area in order to be able to offer their leader everything for the overall classification that is necessary.

ASK THE COMMUNITY