• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Emanuel Buchmann thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yesterday he uploaded a ride in the evening on Strava.
He rode 2hours on a hilly route. Easy with around 160 watt and 185 NP. So he an climb and he goes downhill again. I assume that he will be on the Tour. But noone knows if he can log in some good training rides before the Tour and if he can ride without problems there. Normally there is still enough time to recover from such injury. It is also good that he had really great form at the Dauphine.

Yesterday he uploaded a ride in the evening on Strava.
He rode 2hours on a hilly route. Easy with around 160 watt and 185 NP. So he an climb and he goes downhill again. I assume that he will be on the Tour. But noone knows if he can log in some good training rides before the Tour and if he can ride without problems there. Normally there is still enough time to recover from such injury. It is also good that he had really great form at the Dauphine.

Yea they wanted more than half an hour by Friday or Saturday, so he seems way ahead of schedule. Hope he will upload another ride soon since that would mean he reacted well to the first one.

Reactions: JosephK
Buchmann:
"In any case, it still hurts. It's getting better every day. I also have an ostheopath with me who takes care of me and I am optimistic that I can start the tour. But now I could not train properly for a while. There is definitely something missing, it is certainly not the perfect preparation. Now we are looking from day to day and I hope that I can train properly in the next days, but with the tour you can't tell yet if I will start with 100% or not. But I will probably stand at the start line."

Reactions: Sandisfan and PlanZ
The team are really talking down his chances of success now. :(

Sports director Enrico Poitschke from the professional cycling team Bora-hansgrohe has dampened expectations of the German Tour de France hope Emanuel Buchmann after his fall.

"It costs a few percent. On the tour, a few percent make a lot," said Poitschke to the SID on the sidelines of the German road championships at the Sachsenring.

You have to be so realistic "that it will be very difficult to achieve what we wanted to do. The fall was just extremely negative. We will of course try everything. But you don't have to be surprised if that little bit is missing," said he. After finishing fourth in the previous year, Buchmann was aiming for the podium at the 2020 Tour.

https://www.sport1.de/radsport/tour...-emanuel-buchmann-von-bora-hansgrohe-moeglich

Why would the team bother to send Buchmann to the Tour if they are not convinced he can achieve his objectives?

Perhaps they are bluffing, hehe. :smilingimp:

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The team are really talking down his chances of success now. :(

Sports director Enrico Poitschke from the professional cycling team Bora-hansgrohe has dampened expectations of the German Tour de France hope Emanuel Buchmann after his fall.

"It costs a few percent. On the tour, a few percent make a lot," said Poitschke to the SID on the sidelines of the German road championships at the Sachsenring.

You have to be so realistic "that it will be very difficult to achieve what we wanted to do. The fall was just extremely negative. We will of course try everything. But you don't have to be surprised if that little bit is missing," said he. After finishing fourth in the previous year, Buchmann was aiming for the podium at the 2020 Tour.

https://www.sport1.de/radsport/tour...-emanuel-buchmann-von-bora-hansgrohe-moeglich

Why would the team bother to send Buchmann to the Tour if they are not convinced he can achieve his objectives?

Perhaps they are bluffing, hehe. :smilingimp:
Buchman’s own comment in the post above yours, “I will probably be standing at the start line,” sounds ominous, and not like someone downplaying their chances. ☹️

Buchman’s own comment in the post above yours, “I will probably be standing at the start line,” sounds ominous, and not like someone downplaying their chances. ☹

On a german team where the Tour is by far the most important race anyways and the GC stands above everything AND in the kind of weird season (risk of Giro or Vuelta not happening etc...) they might as well be forcing it more as they normally would.

But I mean 2 weeks before a main race, wouldn't they be tapering anyways, also with the Tour being hard from the get go?

But

There was a report on german TV today

https://www.sportschau.de/tourdefra...hansgrohe-hofft-auf-emanuel-buchmann-100.html

It looks like he will start. Buchmann did some tempo training test this weekend and it went "ok". Not good, but not bad .It looks like he couldn't do the important training block at the weekend, but he could do easy training and some tempo.
On the text message he wrote (I think staturday) to his trainer he said: "Today I would say that the cycling went better again. I could even ride out of the saddle a bit. Do you think we should try vo2max intervals tomorrow? I am not sure yet if I am capable of doing that, but there ist definately the chance that I can do it. "

There was a report on german TV today

https://www.sportschau.de/tourdefra...hansgrohe-hofft-auf-emanuel-buchmann-100.html

It looks like he will start. Buchmann did some tempo training test this weekend and it went "ok". Not good, but not bad .It looks like he couldn't do the important training block at the weekend, but he could do easy training and some tempo.
On the text message he wrote (I think staturday) to his trainer he said: "Today I would say that the cycling went better again. I could even ride out of the saddle a bit. Do you think we should try vo2max intervals tomorrow? I am not sure yet if I am capable of doing that, but there ist definately the chance that I can do it. "
I feel quite bad for him—he looked sharp before the crash at the Dauphine. With some serious climbing on stage 2 only one week (!) away, that he’s only at a point of “could even ride out of the saddle a bit” still sounds pretty bad☹️

I feel quite bad for him—he looked sharp before the crash at the Dauphine. With some serious climbing on stage 2 only one week (!) away, that he’s only at a point of “could even ride out of the saddle a bit” still sounds pretty bad☹

He uploaded a 10km/30min ride to Strava yesterday. VERY low intensity. Went 5km and returned. Maybe tried to train and couldn't continue? What does he want to tell us?

//EDIT
He did 5 hours 4000 vertical metres with solid power today.

Damn :astonished: that's more like it. I was beginning to think he was bluffing about his condition but I guess not, not if he is uploading this kind of ride for all to see.
[/QUOTE]

So they annouced he will definently ride they tour. The hematoma has really impaired his training for a few days, symptoms didn't disappear as fast as they hoped. "His form is certainly not optimal right now." Himself he said that he isn't certain he will be able to keep up with the best, especially the first few stages. Don't think he would downplay his chances, as he doesn't seem to mind the pressure and is usually very confident with announcing his goals.

Of course I want Buchmann to do well. But the fact that he showed no weakness today is not really a sign to me, there were a lot of injured riders and hardly any of them looked like they were in difficulties. The stage just wasn't raced hard before the finish. Even Gaudu and Sivakov made it till the end!

Looked good today but his team did not. Kämna crashed. Mühlberger and Grossschartner were nowhere to be seen. At least Schachmann showed up.

Bora has to play their cards smart. With a delay of over ten minutes like Kämna, Mühlberger and Grossschartner can try to hop into a group to support Buchmann later on a mountain during an important stage. Neither of them are particularly skilled climbers.

With Schachmann I can imagine that despite being injured, he will try to keep up with the favorites until he bursts. He wanted to test himself out in grand tours anyway. The same is probably true for Kämna, regardless of how far behind he is right now . And if the circumstances are fortunate, both of them might try to join a group at some point like their austrian mates above.

Buchmann today:
"It didn't feel that bad at all. We drove really fast on the last mountain, so I was able to keep up. I'm not at 100 percent yet. But I'm on the right path. The hips have held up too. You can now approach the tour differently than I thought a week ago."

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan
No pain anymore but also clearly not at 100% and at his level from Dauphiné. Now the missing training sessions come into play. Hopefully he is either feeling better at Aigoual already or he let's the GC go there and focusses on stages if he doesn't improve.

TRENDING THREADS