• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Emanuel Buchmann thread

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Their giro team is so bizarre, Martinez and that Lipovitz as leaders but no mountain support, and then a bunch of random lead out guys. No buchmann, no Zwihoff, no higuita, no welsford. None of those guys will be at the Tour team either.

Buchmann's giro top 10 form of 2021 and 2022 also came after anonymous performances in the spring. However, he is also a guy whose career seems to sadly go nowhere after 2019 mythical bora watts. Maybe they don't see a need to keep him happy

• Wow
Reactions: Lui98 and Sandisfan
Their giro team is so bizarre, Martinez and that Lipovitz as leaders but no mountain support, and then a bunch of random lead out guys. No buchmann, no Zwihoff, no higuita, no welsford. None of those guys will be at the Tour team either.

Buchmann's giro top 10 form of 2021 and 2022 also came after anonymous performances in the spring. However, he is also a guy whose career seems to sadly go nowhere after 2019 mythical bora watts. Maybe they don't see a need to keep him happy
Higuita und Welsford are understandable. They have no form and have no use other then their speciality winning stages...but htey can't do that without top form. Therefore it is even less understandable that Buchmann is missing from the team. Even as just a climbing domestique who goes over a few cat 1s in the reduced peleton... Aleotti isn't even a real climber and Schachmann has to ease in to the first GT in years.

All in all it is ok that Buchmann is missing from the team. His contract is up and will probably be not renewed. A new team maybe is a good thing for him. But selecting Gamper over him (or as you said Zwiehoff - who is maybe a candidate for the Tour and Vuelta with Kämna out - or even a Wandahl) seems strange.

It is also a result of Bora putting all their eggs into the Roglic Basket. The Tour Team seems to be Denz, Haller/van Poppel, Jungels, Sobrero, Hindley, Vlasov, Martinez and Roglic that could be a really great support squad for the mountains maybe even the second best climbing team in the race depending on what happens with Vingegaard and Jumbo. So with all that talent going to the Tour or being hurt/out of form a selection of Buchmann would have been ok. But it's also a typical Denk thing to do...I really don't get that man he is really bad in communciating with the riders early on if things change.

Too many rouleurs at the Giro, not enough for the Tour team...

After his performance in Frankfurt this looks even more questionable. One of the most active and strongest riders on the climbs. Working hard to bring back Christen in the final even though he is still pretty useless on the flat. No clue how Aleotti made the Giro squad over him.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
After his performance in Frankfurt this looks even more questionable. One of the most active and strongest riders on the climbs. Working hard to bring back Christen in the final even though he is still pretty useless on the flat. No clue how Aleotti made the Giro squad over him.
As I said in the race thread I think Gamper is the odd one in the line up. He doens't give you anything if you are not expecting to have someone ride at the front of the peleton for 2-3 hours to catch/control a breakaway. Aleotti is fine always was a good domestique at the Giro in the last years and could be a thread from a breakaway which Buchmann isn't.

It is quite normal that riders that will leave the team are held out of GT squads. The communication is the problem. Also Schachmann said something like: I don't know why I really ride Frankfurt it was not my decision. That close to the Giro it is really strange. Don't know if that f*cks up my Giro form (I'M paraphrasing of course). Really bad communication and something that seems to happen a lot in this Team. I like the Team and have respect for what Denk built but he really should have shown some personal development in the last few years.

Denk doesn what he wants. His books describes that really good. On the other hand I think he isn't really angry at riders speaking out.
Leaving out Buchmann is still really odd. I think he even is not deciding this. I think this is more decided by Dan Lorang (Head of performance) and Rolf Aldag (head sports director). As far as I know Denk isn't in the selecting process for the races.

• Wow
Denk doesn what he wants. His books describes that really good. On the other hand I think he isn't really angry at riders speaking out.
Leaving out Buchmann is still really odd. I think he even is not deciding this. I think this is more decided by Dan Lorang (Head of performance) and Rolf Aldag (head sports director). As far as I know Denk isn't in the selecting process for the races.
Lorang was fairly clear about the reasons for not selecting Buchmann in his preview on Cyclingmagazine. The team aims for a GC podium and stage wins, and Buchmann is unlikely to achieve either of it. If a climber had dropped out, Buchmann would have been 1st choice to come in instead, but to replace Welsford, Gamper was the more logical choice for them, as he can help van Poppel as well as Martinez.

On Wielerflits, Gasparotto also said that no one ever promised Buchmann a leadership role. According to that interview, it was between Koch and him for the spot in the team., and they decided to go for Koch, as he potentially can win a reduced sprint in a breakaway stage.

Lorang was fairly clear about the reasons for not selecting Buchmann in his preview on Cyclingmagazine. The team aims for a GC podium and stage wins, and Buchmann is unlikely to achieve either of it. If a climber had dropped out, Buchmann would have been 1st choice to come in instead, but to replace Welsford, Gamper was the more logical choice for them, as he can help van Poppel as well as Martinez.

On Wielerflits, Gasparotto also said that no one ever promised Buchmann a leadership role. According to that interview, it was between Koch and him for the spot in the team., and they decided to go for Koch, as he potentially can win a reduced sprint in a breakaway stage.
Did Lorang said anything about the role of Lipowitz? And did he sound as he really believes in a podium with Martinez?
for non-German speakers

• Wow
Lipowitz goes without any ambition. I guess they want to see what happens. He is offically the helper of Martinez.
He said that Martinez is not the pure climber (he is a punchy climber) and that he really needs to safe energy where he can, because he has to "safe carbs". The goal is the podium. They don't race for fifth. He didn't they something about the chance. He trained well at home.

8th on the general classification is a top 5 placement at the 2024 Giro d'Italia.

There's legit talk about Bardet getting a other grand tour podium or even Arensman if Thomas withdraws from the GC fight early on.

Once again Denk doesn't make sense. Unless Martinez really kills it. Then I was wrong

What has Buchmann achieved the past couple of years to warrant such a fervent discussion on his non selection?
This is no longer 2019. He hasn't won a race outside of Germany in 4 years, he's not a valuable domestique, he's not versatile, he's not fast or explosive enough to think he'll win a stage from the break. Even if he was "promised" a spot in the Giro team he's old and experienced enough to know cycling is a business and teams want results.

My problem is that they seem to send riders for 3 weeks on a altitude camp just in case they can use them. They could have send Buchman to altitude in February to prepare for UAE or races like catalunya. Now he is shape and can't show it and before the 3 weeks on teide he was average.
That's why he is angry I think. They should have told him that they probably don't need him. I still think Martinez could miss Buchmann in the hard mountain stages in the last part of the race.

AFAIK Martínez and Kämna were promised shared GC leadership at Giro 2024. Kämna out due to injury could have projected Buchmann in such role, still i doubt this was well communicated in between all parties involved. I assume that Martínez in the end got sole leadership and that resulted in such outcome. Rider being frustrated and the team taking some heat for it. I assume Buchmann would get a spot if prepared to work for Martínez.