• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

English-speaking cycling announcers

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mrs John Murphy said:
Harmon is a terrible commentator. He is lazy and woefully underprepared - he seems to show no desire whatsoever to do any work or preparation before commentating. It would also help if he wasn't quite so xenophobic.

He seems to think that we are only ever interested in english speaking riders - every english-speaking rider is a 'wonderful chap, great to talk to'. He spends more time saying hello to his mates over email than in telling us what is happening.

His man-crush on Australian riders especially Cadel Evans and Richie Porte this Giro has been especially vomit-inducing. To show just how matey he is with them - English-speakers are always on first name terms - Cadel, Richie, Lance, Levi etc, dirty foreigners always introduced by their surnames.

Harmon has been watching too much football on ITV and thinks that 'emotion' is a better substitute than calling the race. He has a great resource and expertise in Kelly, but constantly refuses to use him.

Harmon's attitude towards Vino during and after LBL was at best hypocritical and at worst racist, given his normal attitude towards dopers.

+1

Harmon is head over heels with Xavier Tondo also. Never heard of him but to hear Harmon you'd think he was a living legend.

He's useless and needs sacking, he has multiple agendas, plugging products and people instead of commentating.

El Imbatido said:
And to be fair to him, they gave it as Caruso in the break and not Petrov. Also i think someone mentioned it in the thread at the time but the German(?) Eurosport also thought it was Caruso.

Well... the Danish did even when they zoomed in on him after he'd won:rolleyes:... the only case where that is legal is if one of the Efimkin-brothers win something (they're identical twins, right?)

A

Anonymous

Don't know

I couldn't do it, hour after hour, day after day, race after race, year after year. Keep all the skinny little guys straight AND say something useful about what is happening and why. I just wish the dinosaurs like P&P would pack their suitcases of courage and fade away taking Buffoon Day France Roll with them. Give somebody else a chance. Anybody else.

ps. I love Denmark. I love Danes. They sound way cuter than Swedes or Noweigens when they talk.

Harmon has usually been pretty good at recognising riders actually, and Kelly is usually top notch at that when he's being attentive (ie when the attack happens and they're paying attention, not when Harmon's just asked Kelly a question and he's starting a 17-minute reply). This Giro has been quite hard because they've been constantly wearing gilets and rain jackets, which always makes things harder.

He got Petrov wrong, but so did German Eurosport - Caruso was marked as the one in the break in the updates earlier on, and he was able to tell it wasn't Juan Horrach, therefore by process of elimination on the info he had and the knowledge he had, it must have been Caruso. Caruso HAD been in the break but was dropped. Hard to ping him for that.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Big fan of Harmon. Think he does the job very well. Kelly knows his stuff, when you get beyond the accent you realise that he knows the riders inside out.

Not a big fan of Kirby, but Backstedt seems to be excellent.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I've missed a lot of coverage the past few days after my computer was attacked and killed, but a couple of things jumped out at me in the ATOC feed. Phil said that Armstrong's 7 stitches were done in the team bus before going to the hospital, which got me wondering about some things.

The big one was Paul Sherwen just said that Lance leaving hasn't hurt the crowds & that the race is bigger than any individual rider. That sounds like a tiny change of course for Versus, possibly with them looking towards's life without Armstrong. A week ago that would have been considered blasphemy.

An example of how poor Harmon is came in a race a few weeks ago. There was a crash on a corner towards the back of the peloton. Harmon was too busy trying to emote that he failed to identify the rider, despite the rider being stood there holding his bike with his number clearly visible. Thankfully, Harmon's co-commentator (not Kelly) obviously had the list of riders in front of him and was able to tell Harmon and the viewers who the rider was.

Harmon is very lazy when it comes to learning about riders, he is lazy when it comes to telling viewers about the race. His anglo-centric approach is patronising to new viewers (assuming that english speakers are all they are interested in), and insults the intelligence of anyone who has even the slightest bit of knowledge about cycling.

I am sure that Harmon was coming up with his usual 'Brave Cadel' nonsense for the squeaky-voiced wheelsucker.

I know that ES is cheap, but they could do better than Harmon and Kirby.

With no ES today, I had the pleasure of watching the Gazzeta feed and it was brilliant to listen to commentators who understood racing and who could call the action, they didn't play favourites, they identified riders - team leaders and domestiques, they picked the riders in trouble and the riders doing the hardwork. No fawning over Basso, or fake emotion over Evans, just calling the race and acting as a second and third pair of eyes for the fans. Harmon and Kirby would do well to listen to them.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
Personally I get a bit of a laugh out of Phil and Paul, its entertainment while watching the boring stages of the race. Phil's eccentricities don't really bother me, why stress over them.

You know cycling is such a damn boring sport to watch, why not some comedy releif with philpaulroll.

You take this cycling so damned seriously people. It is entertainmen for Js sake.

I like the aussie commentator and the drunken flemish best.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Until about this time last year I'd only experience the Versus crew over about eight years, mostly "in July." Then Universal Sports began covering many of the races Vs didn't, and here in Chicago I get it free OTA as an NBC sub-channel.

The Universal Sports team is Steve Schlanger, a general sports broadcaster who also does at least swimming and ski-jumping as well as cycling, and Todd Gogulski, a former Pro rider. Schlanger calls the race and Gogulski comments and provides background and insights.

They've really grown on me, and do their work well. As I posted here last week, Schlanger does his homework and his pronunciation of foreign names keeps getting better. That he brings a general American Sportscaster style to the race, full of violent competitive metaphors and such, kind of adds to the charm for me--makes watching cycling seem almost normal in an American context, which it isn't. And Gogulski is excellent, evenhanded and shrewd about what's going on.

They really do make P & P seem outclassed. I notice that Phil makes no real effort to pronounce foreign names, of either teams (Leaky Gas?) or riders correctly for the language they originate in. I saw a comment here a few weeks ago that S & G "overpronounce" these foreign names, somewhat like a beginning language student, but so what? Seems like evidence of commitment to me.

I've gone back to using my VCR for the Giro stages, since my DirectTV package includes Vs but not Universal, and so I can't record it on my DVR. The digital feed from a converter box to the VCR and then to the analog TV, produces a pretty decent picture.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
djlovesyou said:
Big fan of Harmon. Think he does the job very well. Kelly knows his stuff, when you get beyond the accent you realise that he knows the riders inside out.

Not a big fan of Kirby, but Backstedt seems to be excellent.

Have to agree Carlton Kirby is reallllllly bad but David Harmon went waaay up in my estimation when he got comments from Robert Millar during last year's tour (or was it the year before).

badboyberty said:
I find Classics are best in Flemish and GT's are best in Italian or Spanish. I love it, all I need is the riders' names and time gaps, everything else is just filler and fluff so it might as well be in Double-Dutch (or Flemish as the case might be).

And an easy cure for the ToC commentary, I just refuse to watch it. I know it means missing on some Sagan moments but I'm suspecting we'll have a lot of those in the future.

I'm with this.
Love listening to it in Italian - they're like cartoon characters...
blblblblblblbl Cuddle Avins blblblblblb Nibble-lee blblblblb BASSOOO!!! blblblblblblbblblblblblb Saastree blblblblb Scar-pony blblblblblbl... Ah Richee Portay..blblblblbl Cuddle Avins blblbl Basso blblb Avins blblblblb Basso... Bassooo... BASSOOO!!!

the telecast shows the times and gaps and I'm still getting the info I need.
sure beats the complete twaddle of liggett n sherwin anyday

Yeah... and you wanna know something... they acted just the same during OL when there was cross country skiing and (as often...) a Norwegian won an event... maybe it's just... a requirement to become Norwegian sports commentator...

Riiiight... I should go... I'm an evil thread-hijacker...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Who was the Dutch commentator who shouted: "Foto finish! Foto finish!" repeatedly when Cav caught Haussler on the line last year at Milan San Remo? It still cracks me up whenever I see it.

Back to Paul Sherwin, the worst thing I find is that tell us stuff that never even happened. I've said once, I will say it a thousand times, Egoi Martinez never rode the Tour de France for Discovery Channel with Lance Armstrong, and yet Sherwin is absolutely convinced that he did, but Martinez didn't. That's where we need Matt Keenen to say: "Cool story bro".

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Who was the Dutch commentator who shouted: "Foto finish! Foto finish!" repeatedly when Cav caught Haussler on the line last year at Milan San Remo? It still cracks me up whenever I see it.

Back to Paul Sherwin, the worst thing I find is that tell us stuff that never even happened. I've said once, I will say it a thousand times, Egoi Martinez never rode the Tour de France for Discovery Channel with Lance Armstrong, and yet Sherwin is absolutely convinced that he did, but Martinez didn't. That's where we need Matt Keenen to say: "Cool story bro".

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Well when Martínez signed for Discovery, Armstrong had been retired for a few months. I do remember Martínez riding in the 2005 Tour (he was in the break on the same stage that Boonen abandoned on IIRC), but he was riding for Euskaltel.

TRENDING THREADS