• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Enric Mas Rising Star

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
wheresmybrakes said:
This guy needs to stay away from Movistar. Just my tuppence worth. He must be watching them with the 3 amigos and wonder whether it would be worth it going there. Even if NQ goes, he will still play 3rd fiddle against Landa (if he stays) and Valverde.
He shouldn't worry too much about valverde and I thought landa is going to TBM, or was that Just a rumour? :confused:
Anyway, they also have the current giro winner who is also still quite young so he would probably still join a team with two already established gt leaders (3 If you count valverde)
I can definitely see more sensible options

Gigs_98 said:
wheresmybrakes said:
This guy needs to stay away from Movistar. Just my tuppence worth. He must be watching them with the 3 amigos and wonder whether it would be worth it going there. Even if NQ goes, he will still play 3rd fiddle against Landa (if he stays) and Valverde.
He shouldn't worry too much about valverde and I thought landa is going to TBM, or was that Just a rumour? :confused:
Anyway, they also have the current giro winner who is also still quite young so he would probably still join a team with two already established gt leaders (3 If you count valverde)
I can definitely see more sensible options

Carapaz is gone to Ineos. De La Cruz (who would be working for Mas anyway) and rumors have Fuglsang joining.

wheresmybrakes said:

No. The role of Enric Mas in Movistar is going to be as maximum leader. This is for sure. Faith both in Movistar & Spain is maximum, Mas is the "Heredero" of Contador

wheresmybrakes said:

Quintana to the Pro Conti team, Landa to Bahrain, and Carapaz to Ineos. That leaves Valverde. Mas rode for Valverde at the Worlds last year. Here's one thing you aren't taking into consideration, one of the big reasons Landa wanted to go to Movistar could be the same draw for Mas. As a younger Spanish rider you get to race with one of your childhood heroes before he retires. Do you really think that isn't a big draw for a young Spaniard who grew up watching Valverde, Contador and Rodriguez? Valverde, although the oldest of the 3, is the only one still racing.

Koronin said:
As a younger Spanish rider you get to race with one of your childhood heroes before he retires. Do you really think that isn't a big draw for a young Spaniard who grew up watching Valverde, Contador and Rodriguez? Valverde, although the oldest of the 3, is the only one still racing.
Maybe it's a big draw. If it's a good motivation, is something entirely different.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Koronin said:
As a younger Spanish rider you get to race with one of your childhood heroes before he retires. Do you really think that isn't a big draw for a young Spaniard who grew up watching Valverde, Contador and Rodriguez? Valverde, although the oldest of the 3, is the only one still racing.
Maybe it's a big draw. If it's a good motivation, is something entirely different.

When Landa was asked why he went to Movistar were he wouldn't be the only leader, he said he missed the opportunity to race with Contador and he's never forgive himself for missing the opportunity to race with his other childhood hero, Valverde. This is Valverde's team and always will be, but he's one of my heroes and I can't pass up the opportunity to race with and learn from him. It's very possible Mas will have a similar thought process in not wanting to miss likely his only opportunity to race with his childhood hero on the same team instead of just the national team for the Worlds.

Koronin said:
When Landa was asked why he went to Movistar were he wouldn't be the only leader, he said he missed the opportunity to race with Contador and he's never forgive himself for missing the opportunity to race with his other childhood hero, Valverde. This is Valverde's team and always will be, but he's one of my heroes and I can't pass up the opportunity to race with and learn from him. It's very possible Mas will have a similar thought process in not wanting to miss likely his only opportunity to race with his childhood hero on the same team instead of just the national team for the Worlds.
Yes, i get it. I just don't know if you should make career decisions based on it.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Koronin said:
Yes, i get it. I just don't know if you should make career decisions based on it.

I think it may come down to how much would he regret the decision it if doesn't. Landa said he'd never forgive himself for not taking the opportunity to race with Valverde after missing the opportunity to race with Contador. In Mas' case it also could be how much does he think he can learn from Valverde vs from other coaches in other teams as well.

It's Valverde's team, but Valverde isn't going to be the leader for the GC at the Tour in 2020, and though he probably won't even ride it, were Valverde to end up in yellow early, Mas wouldn't have to look after himself in the mountains or have to share with someone's ambitions to win the polka dot or whatever. On top of that, even if they were to also sign Fuglsang, he'll be 35 years old come next July and has always sacrificed his own ambitions when he wasn't the undisputed GC rider for a team.

But... according to Johan Bruyneel, rumor is that Landa now wants to stay at Movistar.

Re:

perico said:
It's Valverde's team, but Valverde isn't going to be the leader for the GC at the Tour in 2020, and though he probably won't even ride it, were Valverde to end up in yellow early, Mas wouldn't have to look after himself in the mountains or have to share with someone's ambitions to win the polka dot or whatever. On top of that, even if they were to also sign Fuglsang, he'll be 35 years old come next July and has always sacrificed his own ambitions when he wasn't the undisputed GC rider for a team.

But... according to Johan Bruyneel, rumor is that Landa now wants to stay at Movistar.

Very true, that even if Valverde would race the Tour next year, it won't be for GC just like this year and Mas would still be the race leader. The only possible other ambitions he would have to "worry" about would be Valverde maybe wanting a stage win. Which can still easily fit into Mas' wanting GC.

Wonder if Landa now wants to stay at Movistar simply because Quintana is gone? I've not heard of any issues with Landa there other than the issues he and Quintana have with each other. He has said he gets along well with Valverde when he was directly asked.

Depending on personality and the understanding of both Mas and Landa that la Vuelta is Valverde's for as long as he is racing or wants it, they still may be able to work with each other. Landa has said he doesn't have a problem working for someone else as long as he gets along with them and that he's happily worked for Nibali, Valverde and was fine working for Carapaz at the Giro. Also Mas is 5-6 years younger than Landa and thus 15-16 years younger than Valverde.

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
perico said:

Very true, that even if Valverde would race the Tour next year, it won't be for GC just like this year and Mas would still be the race leader. The only possible other ambitions he would have to "worry" about would be Valverde maybe wanting a stage win. Which can still easily fit into Mas' wanting GC.

Wonder if Landa now wants to stay at Movistar simply because Quintana is gone? I've not heard of any issues with Landa there other than the issues he and Quintana have with each other. He has said he gets along well with Valverde when he was directly asked.

Depending on personality and the understanding of both Mas and Landa that la Vuelta is Valverde's for as long as he is racing or wants it, they still may be able to work with each other. Landa has said he doesn't have a problem working for someone else as long as he gets along with them and that he's happily worked for Nibali, Valverde and was fine working for Carapaz at the Giro. Also Mas is 5-6 years younger than Landa and thus 15-16 years younger than Valverde.

Were Landa to stay with Mas, Bilbao, and Oscar Rodriguez joining we would see the strongest Spanish team since the days of Banesto- ONCE- Kelme.

perico said:
Koronin said:
perico said:

Were Landa to stay with Mas, Bilbao, and Oscar Rodriguez joining we would see the strongest Spanish team since the days of Banesto- ONCE- Kelme.

That could be enticing to both Mas and Landa.

Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
Goddamnit such a good ride today and now he has to protect Julian.
Sleight of hand.

Say what you will about Lefevere, but he's not stupid. Everyone will be working for Alaphillipe except Mas, who has had zero media attention and an uninterrupted run so far. The longer Alaphillipe stays in yellow the better for Mas as long as he holds his GC place as well.

42x16ss said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Goddamnit such a good ride today and now he has to protect Julian.
Sleight of hand.

Say what you will about Lefevere, but he's not stupid. Everyone will be working for Alaphillipe except Mas, who has had zero media attention and an uninterrupted run so far. The longer Alaphillipe stays in yellow the better for Mas as long as he holds his GC place as well.

I get the feeling that when/if Alaphillipe breaks it will be drastic. I hope at that they give Mas free reign. I really think he has every chance of a podium

TRENDING THREADS