• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Enric Mas Rising Star

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

42x16ss said:
I think it depends. On a scale of Nicki Terpstra to Carlos Verona, how amicable is Mas' departure?

Well he's at the Tour and their boss said something that indicated he didn't think he'd be able to keep Mas. Rumors of Mas going to Movistar were around for awhile before the Tour. I'd go with at least somewhat amicable.

Re:

42x16ss said:
I think it depends. On a scale of Nicki Terpstra to Carlos Verona, how amicable is Mas' departure?

About as amicable as could be expected. Mas apparently asked to be paid like a Top 5 TdF contender. Lefevre said he hadn't proved he's a Top 5 TdF contender. If he doesn't crack, then Patty either has to pay the man or say goodbye is my guess. Mas wanted to stay but what's the point if they don't have a team built around him and he proves he can compete for TDF podiums.

Since when is Lefevre getting paid by the French public? Why the hell would he be so stupid to sacrifice Mas for what might possibly be no more than an extra day of yellow for Alaphilippe? If anything, Lefevre is a pragmatist. The fact that Alaphilippe is French, is worthless/meaningless to Lefevre, especially since he knows that regardless of what Mas does, that Alaphilippe's days in the yellow jersey are numbered. The extra media attention in France is a nice bonus, but his sponsors aren't exactly big players on the French market afaik. While Mas has a real shot at a top 5, or quite possibly even a podium.
Only a day or two ago, Alaphilippe told Sporza that it isn't realistic to go for a GC this year, since he hasn't prepared for it, and doesn't expect to get over the real mountains with the best. At the same time, Lefevre told Sporza the team is aiming for a top 5 spot for Mas. I don't see how performing an ITT 30 seconds better than expected, would throw all that out of the window.

Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Since when is Lefevre getting paid by the French public? Why the hell would he be so stupid to sacrifice Mas for what might possibly be no more than an extra day of yellow for Alaphilippe? If anything, Lefevre is a pragmatist. The fact that Alaphilippe is French, is worthless/meaningless to Lefevre, especially since he knows that regardless of what Mas does, that Alaphilippe's days in the yellow jersey are numbered. The extra media attention in France is a nice bonus, but his sponsors aren't exactly big players on the French market afaik. While Mas has a real shot at a top 5, or quite possibly even a podium.
Only a day or two ago, Alaphilippe told Sporza that it isn't realistic to go for a GC this year, since he hasn't prepared for it, and doesn't expect to get over the real mountains with the best. At the same time, Lefevre told Sporza the team is aiming for a top 5 spot for Mas. I don't see how performing an ITT 30 seconds better than expected, would throw all that out of the window.

I think you have to be really stubborn to not see how that TT performance changes things.

Be interesting to see how they play the next couple of days. Mas has to stay with the crowd today and leave Ala to do his own thing. If Ala is still up there come rest day I wouldn't like to be in the shoes of Lefevre to try and decide who to keep up there for the rest of the race. Surely they'll have to sacrifice one of them to keep the other potentially in yellow or podium place? Or do they work together to try and keep both up there?

Re:

wheresmybrakes said:
Be interesting to see how they play the next couple of days. Mas has to stay with the crowd today and leave Ala to do his own thing. If Ala is still up there come rest day I wouldn't like to be in the shoes of Lefevre to try and decide who to keep up there for the rest of the race. Surely they'll have to sacrifice one of them to keep the other potentially in yellow or podium place? Or do they work together to try and keep both up there?

Mas' high GC position is Alaphilippe's best tactical asset when/if he starts to struggle with the pace of the Ineos train.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
I think you have to be really stubborn to not see how that TT performance changes things.
It changes "things", but it doesn't change the fact that Mas is still their best bet for a podium, and the fact that Alaphilippe hasn't prepared for a GC battle.

If he's still in front after the next two mountain stages, then maybe you could start to wonder if Mas should ride for JA. Not before the first real mountain stage because of an ITT.

Plache stage shown it and the stages since day one, Ala is on another level to Mas. I cannot believe many thought QS should work for Mas, PDBF is a proven stage where riders do well on GC in the Tour if they go well there. Mas will need to prove he can ride well apart from the Vuelta, he reminds me of them spanish riders in the early 2000's.

Re:

The Chicken said:
And so it seems Mas is simply overrated. :redface:
I've had this feeling that Mas is probably the most overrated rider in the peloton for quite a while. Don't get me wrong, it's not like he's not talented, but he has never shown to be able to climb with the very best over a whole race apart from the last week of last year's Vuelta and we know we should always be cautious about judging rider's potential based on Vuelta alone if they hadn't ridden Giro or Tour in the same year as it is usually a big advantage. It was blowing my mind that many people actually believed him to be a legit contender for TdF, not for top10 but for a podium or a win. He is not at this level, yet. I guess a lot of it might have been due to "Contador's successor" hype.

I'm not ready to give up on him. Obviously today was a Bad day but it's his first Tour and he's done a lot of work for the team already. As long as Ala is riding like he is Mas has to be in the support role, because he's got more than Mas! But I have faith in Mas' future as a GC rider long term. He needs to mature and a GC team would be a good place for him to do that.

Re: Re:

Anderis said:
The Chicken said:
And so it seems Mas is simply overrated. :redface:
I've had this feeling that Mas is probably the most overrated rider in the peloton for quite a while. Don't get me wrong, it's not like he's not talented, but he has never shown to be able to climb with the very best over a whole race apart from the last week of last year's Vuelta and we know we should always be cautious about judging rider's potential based on Vuelta alone if they hadn't ridden Giro or Tour in the same year as it is usually a big advantage. It was blowing my mind that many people actually believed him to be a legit contender for TdF, not for top10 but for a podium or a win. He is not at this level, yet. I guess a lot of it might have been due to "Contador's successor" hype.

Since when does the "most overrated rider in the peloton" blow up and still finish ahead of Quintana, Adam Yates, Roman Bardet and Dan Martin???

TRENDING THREADS