• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Enric Mas Rising Star

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It showed on the Tourmalet stage. He was with the front group but his body had no fuel and when he let go he had no energy. Obviously he wasn't able to replenish on stage 15. The rest day came at a good time but there's no guarantee it clears up even with meds. Sometimes it can be a stubborn virus.

I'm so glad he is moving to Movistar! He'll have real GT support there, a Strong cast of Strong riders backing him up. Plus being among Spanish speakers must be like coming home. Hopefully he fulfills the promise he has shown to date and makes the next big step up.

Would have been the perfect scenario with Mas, Landa and Soler. Landa leaving was a bit too much, especially if they don't bring another big star in for the mountains. Mas will probably be the #1 guy for GTs next year and will most likely do Tour + Vuelta (I could imagine along with Soler).

That will probably leave Valverde to Giro + Vuelta.

It is the next logical step for him. I still think it was beneficial to start his Quickstep in multiple ways. He got some training on the cobbles, riding echelons, time trialing, but also the fact that he could be a leader in the mountains at a very young age. Now he needs to take the next step and get a team around him that can support him in exactly those mountains.

We have known it for quite a while, but yes, its the most logical transfer of this year.
Mas is kind of a weird rider though. He seems to underperform in many races and often needs his engine to get going which was kinda unfortunate in this year's Tour as he got sick when he needed to perform, so its hard to really judge him. But he hasnt really been good this year unfortunately, but again, he seems to more of a GC rider in the mold of Carlos Sastre or Mancebo who often didnt do as well in week long stage races as opposed to GTs. Thats at least what I am hoping. If that isnt the case, Movistar will look incredible thin next year since Soler really isnt a proven commodity yet either.

No matter what it will be interesting to see those young Spaniards, the two mast talented Spanish GC riders, with lots of pressure to deliver next year. They will have to step up.

I posted this in Marc Soler's thread, but it belongs here as well. Movistar has changed their GT leadership line ups. Soler is going to the Giro with a young team. Mas is headed to the Tour as leader with Valverde's help and a more veteran team to support him. Then he will go to la Vuelta to help Valverde. It appears they have some faith and confidence that Mas can become a GC leader for them. He will have Valverde for guidance, advise, help, and as a safety net for the Tour.

I posted this in Marc Soler's thread, but it belongs here as well. Movistar has changed their GT leadership line ups. Soler is going to the Giro with a young team. Mas is headed to the Tour as leader with Valverde's help and a more veteran team to support him. Then he will go to la Vuelta to help Valverde. It appears they have some faith and confidence that Mas can become a GC leader for them. He will have Valverde for guidance, advise, help, and as a safety net for the Tour.

Well, he already displayed that he has the tools to do it. Was just a bit unfortunate with injuries last 2 years. In 2018 he fell early in the season and never got the form needed because he already started the season late. So he was behind in terms of fitness for most of the year. He finally caught up form wise to the rest of the peloton in fall and became 2nd at the Vuelta. And last year he crashed during the Tour and also had to protect Alaphilippe while he was in yellow ...

Well, he already displayed that he has the tools to do it. Was just a bit unfortunate with injuries last 2 years. In 2018 he fell early in the season and never got the form needed because he already started the season late. So he was behind in terms of fitness for most of the year. He finally caught up form wise to the rest of the peloton in fall and became 2nd at the Vuelta. And last year he crashed during the Tour and also had to protect Alaphilippe while he was in yellow ...

Last year at the Tour he was also sick for the first set of mountain stages.

Ever since the team meetings it's sounded like the team has been impressed with his maturity and he's already shown some leadership qualities. I'd been really excited to see what he could do with this team this year. If we're lucky we'll get some racing in later and maybe he'll be able to show something.

Yeah. I definitely believe Mas and Soler are GT and TdF podium material. I like the direction Movistar are taking -- a Spanish team with the country's two best young(ish) grand tour riders. It's a good marketing story line, too, which I wouldn't discount.

Maybe no podium this tour for Mas as there are too many past winners (and past GT winners) in the lineup, but if he hangs around the top 5, and a few breaks go his way, why not? You could say that for about 15 riders this year it seems.

I need to brush up on Mas a bit. He always flew a bit under the radar for me. Probably because i'm not used to seeing a QS jersey mixing it up on the mountain stages!

TRENDING THREADS