• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eric Gagne - 80% of Dodger Players were HGH users

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
No offense, i am not into baseball at all and don't really understand it. What's really the benefit of steroids in baseball? Is it used to get more power or for better recovery for those 162 season games? Is arm power really the crucial thing when hitting the ball?

Sprinting between bases?
Sprinting to catch or collect the ball?
Power when hitting the ball?
Power when throwing the ball?

the big ring said:
Sprinting between bases?
Sprinting to catch or collect the ball?
Power when hitting the ball?
Power when throwing the ball?

Well looking at the average MLB player they could easily get faster by simply cutting a few pounds of their beer bellies.
As for hitting thing. I guess it has to do with the ball in baseball. In tennis or golf, more muscles do not increase your hitting power at a certain degree anymore.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Well looking at the average MLB player they could easily get faster by simply cutting a few pounds of their beer bellies.
As for hitting thing. I guess it has to do with the ball in baseball. In tennis or golf, more muscles do not increase your hitting power at a certain degree anymore.

Steroids are a recovery agent as much as a muscle-building agent. More training = better. Harder training = better. Better recovery = more training.

Or less training but better results.

Like being able to sprint when fat and enjoying the fruits of your hard-doped efforts.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
The elephant in the room, yet again, is the question that is not being asked by the hore media in the US.

Why can LA, TH, FL, etal pass all of these tests and it not reflect poorly on the rest of PED testing in all sports? Cycling gets a bad rap here, deservedly. If anybody cared to look below the surface then the pain would be spread a little bit.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
ChrisE said:
The elephant in the room, yet again, is the question that is not being asked by the hore media in the US.

Why can LA, TH, FL, etal pass all of these tests and it not reflect poorly on the rest of PED testing in all sports? Cycling gets a bad rap here, deservedly. If anybody cared to look below the surface then the pain would be spread a little bit.

Why do you care? Are there some Dodgers fans that you have a grudge against?

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:

The players union and team ownership would never allow the silly routines in cycling (pro and otherwise). MLB has been pushed to join WADA protocols for years, they want nothing to with it. Funnier still is that the MVP players of the last years have all got popped for PED use. Melky Cabrera is leading the league in batting average even after suspension,the real hurt was that he won most valuable at the All Star game.
Year before Ryan Braun took a page right from Tyler's book, came up positive but because of mishandling of the sample he got off. Hamilton gave back his gold medal we will see what Braun does. wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Braun to return any awards. No major sport that has millions and billions flowing through accounts will act like bike racing.

Baseball was dropped from the summer Olympics for a number of reasons but the non WADA compliance was the big reasons. Statements made about baseball earning it's way back into the games were laughed at by big baseball's leadership, not worth the trouble.

The players union didn't even have a statement when Manny being Manny had female fertility drugs in his system. Again a multi MVP player. He holds lots of honors,including best player at the 2004 world series.

As basketball grows worldwide we will see if the IOC or WADA gets them to play along.exclusion from the games would be a setback in the world domination plan from the NBA.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Why do you care? Are there some Dodgers fans that you have a grudge against?

Fact is, at this point in time I really don't care. I was commenting on the lack of an obvious question in the media. I don't think cycling is the outlier, and apparently neither does Gagne.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Fact is, at this point in time I really don't care. I was commenting on the lack of an obvious question in the media. I don't think cycling is the outlier, and apparently neither does Gagne.

So what? You only care about doping because you get to score points opposing someone on an intertube forum. Doping is just the framework upon which you enact your petty intertubes vengeance. You only post in volume when you have a "nanny nanny boo boo you were wrong" moment to celebrate. When your ignorant assertions are proven wrong, you go away on important business...:rolleyes:

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:

What media? The MLB writers get access to the athletes,up close,daily,lots of times while the player is toweling off his junk in the locker room. If you want to ask a pitcher about his shutout or a guy who just hit a walkoff, if it was made possible by PED use, you can. You probably will be asked not to return. instant unemployment.
Just like bike racing. If as Gilbert was washing his hair in champagne after his worlds win was asked if he had just won because he did a micro dose or had EPO for breakfast that media member would aslo be tarred and feathered.

Gagne is step for step with cycling. Just a number @80%. The person asking questions didn't go down the Dodgers roster name by name getting a yes or no on HGH use. Just like Tyler,no complete list of names

May 18, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
What media? The MLB writers get access to the athletes,up close,daily,lots of times while the player is toweling off his junk in the locker room. If you want to ask a pitcher about his shutout or a guy who just hit a walkoff, if it was made possible by PED use, you can. You probably will be asked not to return. instant unemployment.
Just like bike racing. If as Gilbert was washing his hair in champagne after his worlds win was asked if he had just won because he did a micro dose or had EPO for breakfast that media member would aslo be tarred and feathered.

Gagne is step for step with cycling. Just a number @80%. The person asking questions didn't go down the Dodgers roster name by name getting a yes or no on HGH use. Just like Tyler,no complete list of names

I am not saying to jam microphones in peoples faces. Look at the bigger picture here. Tests can be beaten, regularly. That is a fact. Look at the whole testing apparatus in totality and at least put it out there as a "wtf is going on?" topic. That is all. Maybe that ***** Reilly can write that instead of calling BS on cycling doping stories. The fact is that most people don't care.

You are right about one thing; be critical or ask hard questions you get denied access. That is a fundamental problem with the media in general.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
I am not saying to jam microphones in peoples faces. Look at the bigger picture here. Tests can be beaten, regularly. That is a fact. Look at the whole testing apparatus in totality and at least put it out there as a "wtf is going on?" topic. That is all. Maybe that ***** Reilly can write that instead of calling BS on cycling doping stories. The fact is that most people don't care.

You are right about one thing; be critical or ask hard questions you get denied access. That is a fundamental problem with the media in general.

there's a massive difference in baseball testing vs. testing in cycling. It's like comparing the Foreign Service Exam to an online verification box... The player's union, which is strangely in strong support of the right to dope, has made it so. The fact is, testing in cycling isn't the problem as much as the management of the results. Remember, Armstrong had positives in probably 5% of his tests, at least. Same with the passport. It could actually be useful if the UCI weren't the ones managing the results.

So, the lack of positives in baseball don't seem to be analogous to the lack of positives in cycling, at all.

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
This discussion of the economics of sports has an interesting take on doping:

http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2012/08/roger_noll_on_t.html

Roger Noll argues that sports should let the participants set the rules on doping. I would be sympathetic to this argument were it not for the fact that the current high level participants in any sport are people who got there under the current rules. If the current rules are lax with respect to doping, the current participants will favor lax rules, at least for themselves.

We saw this play out in baseball for years. The MLB Players Association favored a system under which major league players were not drug tested but minor league players, who were not represented by the MLB Players Association, were. This meant that current MLB players were able to dope all they wanted, whereas their primary competition, players currently in the minor leagues, were not able to do the same.