• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Esteban Chaves Discussion Thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Top 5 his possible, maybe even a podium, but the high mountains are still to come and Chaves is always super strong on those short, steep climbs, so I won't hype him as a legit gc thread just jet, even if the weather will probably be good in the Dolomites (from Wednesday onwards a drastic increase of temperature is expected).

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Jspear said:
Today was all about limiting his loses. He says he feels good while climbing. He'll definitely get a top 10...fingers crossed for a top 5.

He'll be fine, the first week is usually funky. The high mountains will sort things out. Glad he's controlled damages so well, so far.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if I ask, but has Caves ever been great in hard stages with multiple climbs?
I've always seen him as a future Vuelta winner, explosive, great und the really steep stuff and he seems to love the heat.
I don't think the Chianti ITT says a lot about his TT skills, he was great in the opening ITT and Orica seems to work a lot on their riders TT-skills so he should do well in a longer flat TT, yesterday was mostly about taking risks and/or being a great bike handler.

I guess he was decent in the Vuelta last year? But he has had his victories on easy stages with one climb in super hot weather, the Giro is the polar opposite obviously, but he looked the best apart from Valverde in stage 8. Not that we probably can take many conclusions from that.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I guess he was decent in the Vuelta last year? But he has had his victories on easy stages with one climb in super hot weather, the Giro is the polar opposite obviously, but he looked the best apart from Valverde in stage 8. Not that we probably can take many conclusions from that.
Yeah, but he wasn't that great on the 2 hardest Vuelta stages, on the Andorra stage he was just able to hang on Dumoulin's wheel and on Ermita de Alba he finished 36 seconds behind Dumoulin.
Him being great on stage 8 isn't a huge surprise, it was a short, steep climb after a flat stage, that's always great news for him
I hope that he proves me wrong and riders a great Giro, I'd love to see him finishing in the top 5.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, but he wasn't that great on the 2 hardest Vuelta stages, on the Andorra stage he was just able to hang on Dumoulin's wheel and on Ermita de Alba he finished 36 seconds behind Dumoulin.
Him being great on stage 8 isn't a huge surprise, it was a short, steep climb after a flat stage, that's always great news for him
I hope that he proves me wrong and riders a great Giro, I'd love to see him finishing in the top 5.

Still hard to assess his true abilities - had little racing before the Giro and showed little form - Don't think the parcours in the Giro ideally suits Chavez - Parcours in the TDF is more suitable.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but he also took a long break before the Vuelta, his last race before the Vuelta was the Tour de Suisse and had a pretty mediocre season before the Vuelta.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
Kokoso said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Guybrush said:
the only downside is the lack of team mates for the high mountains
why would he need them?
To work for him? And make it easier for him?
I'm sure he can handle getting a bottle here and there himself in the final
Sure he can, he has hand or two. But having teammate to help him would still be an advantage, don't you think? He could spare some energy.