• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Esteban Chaves Discussion Thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
When is Chavito's contract due?
gotta say this entire year has become a nightmare for him, as expectations were high for Il Giro, but with that "bug" it seems like very, very concerning health issue it seems :( I was hoping to see him riding la Vuelta in a type of redemption way, but by the way it looks, he might be looking to ride Lombardia at best & shut it down all together for the next year...? damn it!!!

hfer07 said:
When is Chavito's contract due?
gotta say this entire year has become a nightmare for him, as expectations were high for Il Giro, but with that "bug" it seems like very, very concerning health issue it seems :( I was hoping to see him riding la Vuelta in a type of redemption way, but by the way it looks, he might be looking to ride Lombardia at best & shut it down all together for the next year...? damn it!!!

After his two podiums in 2016 in the Giro and Vuelta he seemed to be on an upward trajectory but it hasn't happened in the past 18 months for a variety of reasons re injuries and illness. Now that Michelton have extended the contracts for the Yates bros I wonder how long they will give Chaves to get back to a good level. Obviously he has good relations with the team.

I think they'll give him a bit more time to get things sorted. You don't easily give up on a young-ish guy with 2 GT podiums and a monument win too quickly. And he did win both a stage race and a Giro stage this year so he hasn't completely fallen apart. That said, at some point they won't be able to pay him like a top rider unless he can figure things out. On another note, I saw they just brought his younger brother on as a stagiaire.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Mononucleosis. He had surgery. Hope that he gets well soon. I think he is done for the season.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chaves-to-miss-vuelta-a-espana-after-being-diagnosed-with-mononucleosis/
Seems to be on the way to returning to the peloton. Hopes to be at the Tour of Colombia (with the National team if Mitchelton Scott don't go) and the Giro.
http://www.federacioncolombianadeciclismo.com/ruta/me-gustaria-que-el-mitchelton-viniera-o-estar-con-la-seleccion-en-el-tour-colombia-esteban-chaves/

Take it to the bank that Chaves is riding in Colombia in February - My understanding is he will ride the Giro, though he is GC target will be the Vuelta - An important year for Chaves as it will determine his GC credentials with MS beyond 2019.

Re:

yaco said:
Chaves seems to be going OK, though he's a hard one to judge because he suddenly HITS form - Think the Vuelta is a more realistic goal and I wouldn't send him to the Giro unless he's 100%.

Agree that the Vuelta looks likely to be his priority race for the year; albeit he would be riding as B option to SY who will, barring illness/injury, be looking to defend his title. As for the Giro, he's a maybe but it will be with the understanding that he will riding in support of SY although if he does hit some form they may allow him to go up the road to chase stages if the opportunity presents itself as well as provide somewhat of a decoy.

Its been tricky to get a read on him so far this year. On the plus side, he has certainly put in some big digs on the front of the pack in service of Haig, Trentin & AY and has put in a few distinctly presentable ITTs but we haven't seen this sustained throughout an entire one-week race. Methinks MS are prepared to take a measured approach with his return with deliberately lowered expectations of results.

Re: Re:

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
Chaves seems to be going OK, though he's a hard one to judge because he suddenly HITS form - Think the Vuelta is a more realistic goal and I wouldn't send him to the Giro unless he's 100%.

Agree that the Vuelta looks likely to be his priority race for the year; albeit he would be riding as B option to SY who will, barring illness/injury, be looking to defend his title. As for the Giro, he's a maybe but it will be with the understanding that he will riding in support of SY although if he does hit some form they may allow him to go up the road to chase stages if the opportunity presents itself as well as provide somewhat of a decoy.

Its been tricky to get a read on him so far this year. On the plus side, he has certainly put in some big digs on the front of the pack in service of Haig, Trentin & AY and has put in a few distinctly presentable ITTs but we haven't seen this sustained throughout an entire one-week race. Methinks MS are prepared to take a measured approach with his return with deliberately lowered expectations of results.

Brian Nygaard (former employee of the team) has told during his commentating that they say he rides at the watts he should be able to but he is about 5 kgs overweight. That might explain his somewhat poor climbing performances relative to his relatively good rouleur exploits.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Brian Nygaard (former employee of the team) has told during his commentating that they say he rides at the watts he should be able to but he is about 5 kgs overweight. That might explain his somewhat poor climbing performances relative to his relatively good rouleur exploits.

That sounds promising. Hope he can get back to the top.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Just to be riding is a triumph.
He hopes to be in the Giro but he has no clue what his future is. He is living and riding by the day.

https://www.revistamundociclistico.com/2019/esteban-chaves-en-el-camino-de-la-recuperacion-estar-corriendo-ya-es-un-triunfo-despues-de-lo-que-he-pasado/
Mitchelton-SCOTT confirms the next race for Colombian Esteban Chaves will be the 2019 Giro d’Italia. "our clear leader for the Giro is Simon Yates and Esteban will be doing whatever he can to aid Simon and our goal of winning the Giro."
https://www.greenedgecycling.com/news/chaves-confirmed-to-support-simon-yates-at-giro-d-italia-following-successful-return-to-racing-in-2019

TRENDING THREADS